Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    The point is maybe PF should have another appreciation snack vs pizza. It just doesn't belong in the gym. If I eat that slice of pizza how much harder am I going to have to work to get that off. Maybe I didn't plan on that for the day. Again, it is about self control and healthy choices, but PF should eliminate the temptation. I've never seen another gym do that.
    I don't know about other PF's, but mine does not force it down my throat.
    Mine doesn't either. But I just think its silly. Shouldn't even be an option.
    Then don't go. :drinker:

lol...thats a bit much to say ban junk food everywhere. I go to PF right now because I still have a membership there. I will be switching once I find a facility that best fits my needs

Good for you!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have future fitness which is ridiculously overpriced. I am only staying there for two years so that all the money I paid up front makes it worth it.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of our local Planet Fitness, and for my needs, it's just fine. It's perfect, actually. I'm not going to find a $10 a month gym membership anywhere else that is open 24/7, clean, and as nice as this one.

I get that some people are bent out of shape over the concept of it...I think pizza & bagel days are dumb and I've never been there when they had it, not because I've avoided it, it just wasn't on my schedule. If you want/need to be able to drop weights, grunt to your hearts content, that's your prerogative--no one makes anyone join PF. If that's your thing, find somewhere else. Simple.

If you want a decent, cheap place to do your thing, PF works for that. It's great for me. I have no complaints.

As for the no sleeveless thing, I get that, too. I work on a college campus and our student rec center has the same kind of rules. It's a bacteria thing. They don't want your nasty, germ covered skin touching the machines. Their policy is no short shorts and no strappy tank tops or shirts with excessive arm holes (as per their photos of acceptable vs. not). They don't really seem to enforce it, but the policy totally makes sense.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

:huh:

I workout at Planet Fitness. *Wonders if I look like someone who isn't putting forth any effort?????"

We have free weights
    We can do dead lifts despite the signage
    There is some grunting
    There is no lunk alrarm
    We can wear whatever we want

*shrugs* Must be your frachise owner's rules he/she is imposing, Mine doesn't hinder people from working out, in fact he probably has too many members b/c the gym is well priced, well staffed and well equipped which frustrated me b/c peak hours extend late into the evening....
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

As for the no sleeveless thing, I get that, too. I work on a college campus and our student rec center has the same kind of rules. It's a bacteria thing. They don't want your nasty, germ covered skin touching the machines. Their policy is no short shorts and no strappy tank tops or shirts with excessive arm holes (as per their photos of acceptable vs. not). They don't really seem to enforce it, but the policy totally makes sense.

Not really... Then why are people allowed to wear shorts? Don't their gross leg sweat touch the machine? I rather have someone's arm sweat touch the machine than their nasty butt sweat. But, it happens. Then have a policy which makes people CLEAN the machines. That just doesn't make sense, sorry. And the way corporate told me had nothing to do along these lines...they said it can be "intimidating".
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    PF is a joke. All their gyms have the same rules. But it's how much they enforce them is where the "independently owned" part comes in. The PF I know of in Washington DC will give you a warning if you end up getting the "lunk alarm" sounded on you. If it happens a second time, you're shown the door.

They also don't have DB's higher than 55lbs, which is ridiculous.

They also cut the bars short on the Leg Press machines so you can't put too many plates on, which is ludicrous.

All I have to say to Planet Fitness is, DO YOU EVEN?

DO YOU EVEN what?
    JOE
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Not really... Then why are people allowed to wear shorts? Don't their gross leg sweat touch the machine? I rather have someone's arm sweat touch the machine than their nasty butt sweat. But, it happens. Then have a policy which makes people CLEAN the machines. That just doesn't make sense, sorry. And the way corporate told me had nothing to do along these lines...they said it can be "intimidating".
    Dude, just break up finally.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I looked into PF and was instantly turned off when I read the "rules". I like dead lifts and those are not allowed. Sometimes my weights clank when I'm doing chest flys, not allowed. I do grunt when I'm really pushing myself, not allowed.

Well I knew where I wouldn't be welcomed.

Hold on, you can't do dead lifts? No freaking way I would ever go there. That is one of my favorite power movements and no sleeveless shirts? wtf? I'll never be a member there.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I heard a group of senior citizens talking about how they LOVED the new rules there. Maybe this is the group they are aiming to get, but if so...they should call it planet geriatrics.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I heard a group of senior citizens talking about how they LOVED the new rules there. Maybe this is the group they are aiming to get, but if so...they should call it planet geriatrics.

:love: I'm sold
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    My PF has not started this but I agree, I would leave if they did. They have a no tank top rule (which I wore my first day, lol) They do have a no headgear except baseball cap rule which I don't follow. I wear a bandana at home so I bought some regular black headbands to wear there. So far no one has approached me about it. I kinda feel you get what you pay for and I only pay $20 a month and that includes tanning, so I'll be a little more lenient about what I will put up with. I enjoy going there but I also workout at home since I get board easily. We still have weights too (as of yesterday at least)
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm not as upset about the rules. Okay, I get it, if they're your rules, then they're your rules. I'm more upset that these WEREN'T the rules when I signed up. They changed without them informing anyone... no posting, email sent, etc. ANYTHING. Then walk in there with the usual tank tops I wear, and get kicked out. I think that's very unprofessional.
    I couldn't agree more! F'em!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Either way, they appear to be rolling in the dough, as they continue to grow.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I looked into PF and was instantly turned off when I read the "rules". I like dead lifts and those are not allowed. Sometimes my weights clank when I'm doing chest flys, not allowed. I do grunt when I'm really pushing myself, not allowed.

Hold on, you can't do dead lifts? No freaking way I would ever go there. That is one of my favorite power movements and no sleeveless shirts? wtf? I'll never be a member there.

& I will bet they do just fine..
  • lwagnitz
    Options

Illustrate that you're just a troll? Lol
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I'm illustrating logic, champ.

It appears that you are unfamiliar with what a "troll" is, in internet terms. I'll leave you to Google and do some homework. :flowerforyou:
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

& I will bet they do just fine..

I was just stating my opinion on the fact that I wouldn't want to go there because of their rules. Not saying they would care if I came or not. You don't have to do be a jerk about it.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I'm illustrating logic, champ.

It appears that you are unfamiliar with what a "troll" is, in internet terms. I'll leave you to Google and do some homework. :flowerforyou:

I love it when people use the word champ, boss. :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Oooh, a cross-thread bump. Nicely played.