Planet Fitness sucks.

Options

Replies

• kristengraham
    kristengraham Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is a place for those who want to pretend they're getting in shape and say they "workout" but don't actually want to put forth any effort.

Seriously?

whatever you think of the gym , fine, but you dont need to insult ME

^Exactly!^ I have a PF membership... I workout... and I put forth plenty of effort! So don't make judgements!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I used to go to ao 24 hour one. It was 2am. Four people working out. On accident I set down a weight wrong, it made a loud noise. The buzzer went off. Are you serious??

It is pretty ridiculous to get ride of the free weights. I would cancel my membership too. It's like "hello, you paid for them already... why take them away?? where are they going? In the trash? I'll take them for you"

What the? Seriously? A buzzer? They buzz you for stupid stuff like that?

What's next? Will they tase you for doing something wrong? I think I'll avoid this particular gym. It sounds like something out of a horror movie about an America gone wrong.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Oooh, a cross-thread bump. Nicely played.
    I try. Hoping it doesn't break anything though.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Illustrate that you're just a troll? Lol
    I'm illustrating logic, champ.

It appears that you are unfamiliar with what a "troll" is, in internet terms. I'll leave you to Google and do some homework. :flowerforyou:

Someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Yeah, um, okay.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I used to go to ao 24 hour one. It was 2am. Four people working out. On accident I set down a weight wrong, it made a loud noise. The buzzer went off. Are you serious??

It is pretty ridiculous to get ride of the free weights. I would cancel my membership too. It's like "hello, you paid for them already... why take them away?? where are they going? In the trash? I'll take them for you"

What the? Seriously? A buzzer? They buzz you for stupid stuff like that?

What's next? Will they tase you for doing something wrong? I think I'll avoid this particular gym. It sounds like something out of a horror movie about an America gone wrong.

haha so true!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I get that not every PF is the same, nor apparently have the same policies.

I get that a lot of people like it there, that's cool. Whatever works for you, do it.

I get that PF's are comfortable/affordable/more convenient for some than another gym might be.

My beef with PF's are the claim to be a "judgement free zone" yet their commercials wreak of judgement for those that prefer lifting weights. There have been several examples already, but I didn't see this one that someone posted on fitocracy today. This one takes the cake for me and ensure that I shall never step foot in there (which is my choice, so I get that too):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuCtjs26v0s&feature=youtu.be
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Illustrate that you're just a troll? Lol
    I'm illustrating logic, champ.

It appears that you are unfamiliar with what a "troll" is, in internet terms. I'll leave you to Google and do some homework. :flowerforyou:
    Someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Yeah, um, okay.
    My responses have been on-topic and full of logic, designed to illustrate my point. Nothing has been disruptive or designed to provoke. As is common here, you are mistakenly labeling someone with a differing opinion as a "troll".

Try again.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    @cbcbrass98 That's my beef, too. I mean, if it's fine for people, then whatever. I'm not the same as everyone. From the stories people say, they are LITERALLY turned away for having too much muscle. I'm no lawyer, but couldn't that be grounds for a discrimination law suit?

I don't know, just seems like a flawed business strategy. I think at first they had the right idea, and they just went way to far and extreme with it.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Don_6b51d3_1483643.jpg
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I belong to a Planet Fitness. They are open 24X7 and nothing else is open when I can go around me. I have to go last thing most days because I wait for my daughter and wife to be asleep and then I go.

They have tootsie roll midges on the desk, I occasionally grab one on my way out the door, not every time but when I want a quick sweet fix. (14 cals oooh, they are deliberately sabotaging me so I can't get fit and cancel my membership :yawn: )

I don't go for the bagels because I don't go to the gym before work and I generally don't eat big giant bagels.

I make a point of going late late late on pizza monday so that the people you don't see the other 27-30 days in the month are gone and not hogging space on the treadmills or the machines.

I've heard the lunk alarm go off twice in the last year, once was after the patriots fumbled and someone swore their head off, LOUDLY.

My PF has free weights but I don't have workout buddies so I stick to the machines, I'm still deriving fitness value from them.

I've lost 85 pounds this year and PF had as much to do with that as my changes to nutrition.

I'd love a gym with a pool and/or classes but they cost more and close by 9:00.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    @cbcbrass98 That's my beef, too. I mean, if it's fine for people, then whatever.
    Then, why the outrage?
    I don't know, just seems like a flawed business strategy.
    Yes, terrible!

Franchise Ranking History
    Franchise 500®: #76 (2012), #81 (2011), #157 (2010), #116 (2009),
    Fastest-Growing: #21 (2012), #34 (2011), #41 (2010), #47 (2009),
    America's Top Global: #68 (2012), #68 (2011),

ETA Source: http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchises/planetfitness/329333-0.html
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    @cbcbrass98 That's my beef, too. I mean, if it's fine for people, then whatever. I'm not the same as everyone. From the stories people say, they are LITERALLY turned away for having too much muscle. I'm no lawyer, but couldn't that be grounds for a discrimination law suit?

I don't know, just seems like a flawed business strategy. I think at first they had the right idea, and they just went way to far and extreme with it.

I'd SUE if I were YOU!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Having too much muscle isn't a protected class though (or at least it wasn't when I last took a law class...perhaps times have changed).
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options

OP I do not buy this in the least. The owner of my PF wouldn't own it b/c he has "too much muscle" nor the trainer for the same reason, nor the 22 year old who works out there during the off season when he comes for from playing in the MLB for the Angels or the MMA fighters, or the boxers or the basketball players or the hockey players, or the Boston Marathon runners.

My PF simply cannot be the sole outlier.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Stop ranting if you didn't even read my original post. I asked other people if they had a similar experience or cancelled their membership. I don't have outrage about everything else people are saying, those are their reasons, not mine, and that's fine. Like everyone is saying, people feel comfortable in different gym settings. Idc about pizza and bagel nights. I'm upset that they changed the rules without letting anyone know and then kicking me out...all with the explanation of telling me that my shirt is "intimidating"..the shirt that I've worn several times before. And I'm saying it's a flawed business strategy because I could see potential lawsuits over some of the things I have heard that have happened at other gyms. I'm not saying that people SHOULD sue, but I can see where someone would take up a lawsuit. One of my friends works at PF and said that they won't let anyone in wearing headdresses for religious purposes. Is it true or not? I don't know. I really had no issues before now, and haven't yet, other than that they seem to judge when preaching a "judgment free zone".

If you read my original post, I stated that they didn't used to be like this, and that's mainly why I'm upset. So clearly your PF wasn't the only "outlier" Before when I'd see reviews or posts about PF I thought they were just being cynical and something stuck up their butt and that those gyms were far and few in between. I've only been to 3 gym locations, and never had a problem til now.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I go to this gym and I have never had a problem. They have never buzzed and I see half dressed fit ladies and fit guys all the time. Maybe it is just your gym in that case if you are a black card you can go to a different PF where the atmosphere is better? =) Also we still have our free weights, machines and cardio exercise equipment.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Stop ranting if you didn't even read my original post.
    I only see one person "ranting" in this thread. :wink: :drinker: :smokin: :happy: :bigsmile: :yawn: :cry: :glasses:
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I'm sure in the contract they state that they have reserved the right to change the rules at their discretion.

I'll check at my location tonight.

Please stop yelling, we're just having and adult conversation where we're entitled to differences of opinion.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I'm sure in the contract they state that they have reserved the right to change the rules at their discretion.

I'll check at my location tonight.

Please stop yelling, we're just having and adult conversation where we're entitled to differences of opinion.

I didn't know you could yell through text? I'M NOT YELLING.
    I think they do to, but it'd be nice to hear about the change before kicking me out of the gym, you know?

I'm just annoyed that I'm being clumped in with these people who think it's absurd that they offer bagels,pizza, tootsie rolls, and such. Like I stated, I never had an issue with them before, and actually enjoyed the gym. Mine was much like yours. Idk if they're under new management or what, but it'd be nice to know of the rule change before driving there and getting kicked out. Talk about walk of shame... lol. And trust me my "guns" aren't anything to be intimidated over.

FYI. I accidentally pressed caps up there. Freudian slip maybe? lol, but really, I'm not yelling.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I'm just annoyed that I'm being clumped in with these people who think it's absurd that they offer bagels,pizza, tootsie rolls, and such.
    That's an assumption. When was that ever stated? Different opinions have been voiced and rebutted, but when did anyone "clump" you with the folks that don't like the pizza?