Replies

• ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Jeff's an idiot... They were 3 guests!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a bar and you're supposed to either ask one of the members in the party for their name to add on the tab or put in a non discriminatory phrase. What an idiot! I'm not sure how he thought no one would notice.

He might have halfway hoped one of them would see it. Some people like that actually like to excuse their nastiness by calling it "motivation" or even (obscenely) a "favor", like the only reason anyone is overweight is because some ****head has never openly humiliated them about their weight before. I have a relative who's been over 300 lbs her entire adult life and I still cannot believe the kinds of things people would say to her in public, especially in restaurants. Even worse when women did it, though a lot rarer.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I want to know if the ladies in question were fat.
    If it was the other way round and it had been labeled " fit girls"
    They woul have been really happy.
    So why should rhey be shocked if it was an accurate representation of them?

Maybe it will be the kick they need to get in shape.

Um, no. Whether someone is fat can be a judgement that varies widely from person to person. It's exactly the same as labeling them "ugly girls" on the receipt. Not professional, not ok.

Not professional, you're right, but I would be inclined to agree... Maybe stop yapping about it and do some self-reflection.

I'm thinking the fat girls aren't the ones who need to do the self-reflection. And yes, maybe they should have taken some action instead of "whining" about it; they should have dragged his sorry a** out into the parking lot and kicked it till his holly berries were hanging out of his nose. Hey, at least they'd be getting some exercise, right?
  • maczope
    maczope Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't usually post on forums, but this really got me. I feel embarrassed for these girls. It's situations like this that me me scared to go out to eat. I constantly feel scrutinized by society anyhow, and to be disrespected in an establishment in which you are a paying customer is horrendous. These girls did the right thing to tell people about this restaurant's practices.

On a side note, the women being interviewed really need to use the word "like" a lot less.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant, and if we don't have a name for the table, we give them a nickname for the bill. "Fat girls" would NEVER make it onto their bill.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    I used to work at a bar and you're supposed to either ask one of the members in the party for their name to add on the tab or put in a non discriminatory phrase. What an idiot! I'm not sure how he thought no one would notice.

He might have halfway hoped one of them would see it. Some people like that actually like to excuse their nastiness by calling it "motivation" or even (obscenely) a "favor", like the only reason anyone is overweight is because some ****head has never openly humiliated them about their weight before. I have a relative who's been over 300 lbs her entire adult life and I still cannot believe the kinds of things people would say to her in public, especially in restaurants. Even worse when women did it, though a lot rarer.

Exactly. You do not stick something on the bill you are giving customers, and not expect them to notice.

He knew they'd see it, and he knew he was being an *kitten* doing it.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    these so called fat girls humiliated themselves even more by giving the story to the media- and will forever be known as the fat girls by thier own fault. They should have just complained to the resturaunt owner ABSOLUTLY...and I would have demamded an apology from Jeff- and an oppertunity to confront him about it- and demanded he answer -what his intentions really were by labeling them fat girls. Simple damage control. I have zero tollerence for the violin (woe-is-me). Handle your business. Your feelings get hurt and you blame everyone but yourself. I hope they are on MFP like all of us are, lose weight and go back all slim and fit, order from jeff and sign the check 'fat Chicks bioch". Soooooooooo fun.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    Insulting, demeaning and ridiculing overweight people is one of the few "acceptable" prejudices in our overly PC world.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Were the girls fat?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Were the girls fat?

go to the link and watch the video.

the girls were big.

did they deserve to be called that on their receipt? no.

are they over-reacting. yes.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Well they are fat...
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    what if it were three dudes and they were clearly gay...and it said....gaylords or flamers. or some mexicans and it said wetbacks...would it be OK then?
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a time I went out with some friends one of whom was quite over weight. Not everyone ordered starters so she ordered a sharing platter for some of us to pick from. The guy came out with the platter and some serving plates and after seeing she had ordered it only left one of the side plates he was carrying and started taking the rest back to the kitchen! Needless to say she called him back and made a right fuss about it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what if it were three dudes and they were clearly gay...and it said....gaylords or flamers. or some mexicans and it said wetbacks...would it be OK then?

that is being a bigot.

calling a fat person fat is not the same as calling a mexican a wetback.
  • Lalaj100
    Lalaj100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So why should rhey be shocked if it was an accurate representation of them?

Maybe it will be the kick they need to get in shape.

Um, no. Whether someone is fat can be a judgement that varies widely from person to person. It's exactly the same as labeling them "ugly girls" on the receipt. Not professional, not ok.

Not professional, you're right, but I would be inclined to agree... Maybe stop yapping about it and do some self-reflection.

I'm thinking the fat girls aren't the ones who need to do the self-reflection. And yes, maybe they should have taken some action instead of "whining" about it; they should have dragged his sorry a** out into the parking lot and kicked it till his holly berries were hanging out of his nose. Hey, at least they'd be getting some exercise, right?

HAHA! I like that idea. His smart *kitten* deserves a good *kitten* kicking!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would have walked out without paying, or I would've found out who wrote it and *****ed them out. Nothing pisses me off more than someone who has a smirk wiped across their face, knowing they've done something douchey and will get away with it.

I agree with the previous poster who said, "That's why it's scary eating in public, the fear of being judged," especially when you're overweight.

But I wouldn't have talked to the media.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    This is bullying, but no worse than any other bullying in this world. Junior high kids are far worse.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny.

Sure a little harsh, sure a little insensitive. But that's life...deal with minor inconveniences and handle business accordingly. Cryin' never solved any of my problems.

I agree.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

that is being a bigot.

calling a fat person fat is not the same as calling a mexican a wetback.

YES it is. Because it was meant to be derogatory. It was meant as an insult. I saw these females and YES they could stand to drop weight and make better health choices but Jeff doesn't need to take it upon himself to point it out.

FAT PEOPLE KNOW THEY ARE FAT! They do not need a band of lesser weight people pointing it out for them. While I realize there are overweight people that are truly satisfied with their physical appearance the vast majority are NOT. If they were the diet industry wouldn't exist. I agree with another poster who said that bullying fat people is one of the last acceptable forms of discrimination. EVERYONE on this site should realize how hard it is to make healthy choices sometimes. We all got here on our own time and eventually other people will too. Some people will not but that is life. Some people will not make good choices but it is NOT our job to ridicule them and make them feel like sub humans.

I do not think life is fair and I don't expect that everyone be handled with kid gloves but holy crap! If you can't say something nice don't say ****!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    So why should rhey be shocked if it was an accurate representation of them?.

I wondered something similar. The really unfortunate thing is that people think "fat" means some kind of moral judgement rather than just a description. There is a hidden implication that you can't be fat unless something is wrong with you. Not enough willpower. Lazy. Whatever it is.

Which is ridiculous. Everybody has different struggles in life. Something is hard for all of us.
This discussion has been closed.