women bench pressing

Options

Replies

• megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes, I am WEEEAAK! I just started this benchpressing business and heavy lifting stuff, so I'm sure it will get better. Last week, I benched 75lbs, 8 reps 3X. I thought that was good. Ha! :sad:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks all..However the bar I use is not an olympic bar (I have one of those too) the bar I use is "attached" to my weight bench. the kind that slides up and down...I weighed it one time I just can't remember if it was 30 or 35 lbs.

Bench my weight??? I guess I have more weight to lose than I thought ! :)

So it's a Smith machine? I think you'd have to go down in weights to do a normal bench press.

^^^Yup. It's a lot harder to bench with a free bar because there's much more stabilization required. I started on a Smith machine, but I like to do the free bar because there's more of a challenge, but I can lift a lot more if I use the Smith. And btw, the bar on the Smith at my gym is 15lbs. Not sure if that's standard or if they differ
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Bench Press is unfortunately my weakest lift. I can manage 90lbs for a couple of reps. Could possibly do more if I had a spotter (I workout alone @ home). I'm 125lbs FWIW. My goal is to bench my weight - I'll get there...eventually.

Yeah, mine sucks, too. It's my worst area, I personally hate training chest. I have to force myself to do it.
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    4x8 95lbs currently... maybe i just have to strive to beat you now sorry :flowerforyou:

5'6 135lbs
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see what people bench percentage wise, in terms of their body weight.

my one rep max is currently 79% of my body weight.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Wow- that puts me to shame????
    I just started lifting by myself at home- no spotter. I'm only doing 50 lbs dumbbell (25/hand). Hopefully I'll get there slowly

DBs are harder even than a bar! Be proud of what you're doing :)
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    -
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I know very little about weight equipment..so this whole Smith Machine is confusing me..I weighed the bar by standing on a scale and holding the bar, and it was not 15 lbs it was 30 or 35. It is not a free weight (there is a place on the machine I can put the Olympic bar, but I don't often have someone to spot..so that doesn't seem like a good idea.) but I don't understand what everyone is saying about the counterweight....The machine I have is "Marcy Diamond Home Gym Smith Cage with Linear Bearings Home Gym"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good grief. We are talking health and fitness here not boobs, I hope. As boobs are just tiny glands protected by fat deposits, do you also thing girls should be fat to maximize their boobage?

There was a time that men said women shouldn't run marathons (or read) because it would strain their delicate selves and make them less feminine. Sounds like old boy thinking to me!

I am confused by the relevance and the point you are trying to make.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I started about a year and a half ago. I started @ 80-90 lbs for 3 sets of 10. Now @ 225 for 3 sets of 10 + a converging chest press @ 175 for a set of 10. 5'8 194 right now :)
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Women shouldn't bench press. It'll mash their boobs.

Ummmm actually it can make da boobies look bigger. Check yo' self.

Pretty sure it mashes them flat. 30 Day Shred. That's what chicks should be doing. Helps with long lean muscle instead of smashed boobies and bulky muscle. Just make sure you get plenty of healthy fats.

You obviously have never spotted for a woman who bench presses. If that's the case....I'm sorry. I'm crying inside just a little for you.

Doesn't mash mine in fact made them bigger :)
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks all..However the bar I use is not an olympic bar (I have one of those too) the bar I use is "attached" to my weight bench. the kind that slides up and down...I weighed it one time I just can't remember if it was 30 or 35 lbs.

Bench my weight??? I guess I have more weight to lose than I thought ! :)

So it's a Smith machine? I think you'd have to go down in weights to do a normal bench press.

Agreed. I have been lifting weights for 7 years (off and on depending on circumstances) and do 55 lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps. I'm curious how your form is... but a smith machine explains that much weight also.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Strong work ladies. :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    When I took weightlifting as a course in college we were taught to not add the weight of the smith machine bar to your numbers at all- because it's negligible and whatever 15 or 30 lbs won't translate to a freestanding lift anyway so there's no point in including it.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    5'3" I weigh 161..... and i lift 170lbs not counting the bar..

So a 5'3" woman benching 215? I would love to see that video
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Wow- that puts me to shame????
    I just started lifting by myself at home- no spotter. I'm only doing 50 lbs dumbbell (25/hand). Hopefully I'll get there slowly

DBs are harder even than a bar! Be proud of what you're doing :)

I was thinking that 25lb dumbbells is excellent as well! I just moved up to 25lbs last week, and it's definitely HARD!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the the barbell. For some reason they market 35 lb bars as bars for women. My gym has a couple and it always weirds me out because they're thinner.

That's because women's Olympic barbells are 35 lbs. Why? Maybe someone figured smaller hands? But that's why. Men's Olympic barbells are 45 lbs.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I was a junior in HS (6 year ago :( ) my max was 195lbs.. When I quit lifting in May, my max was back up to 180lbs
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about 6 weeks ago. I'm up to bench press of 70#, 5 sets of 5