Sorry, but I *am* getting bulky from lifting heavy....

Options

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A few ideas...Yoga - to stretch and thin your muscles...45+ min sessions of cardio - after 45 min. you are burning more muscle and less fat, so this could help thin out the muscle you have...change lifting routine to lifting less frequently (once a week instead of several times a week), or lifting more reps, I think 12-15 reps per set is the range for more lean muscle, so whatever weight you can lift 15 times in a row without a break.

Um definitely not. After 45 minutes you're losing muscle. Cardio increases a calorie deficit, you can not build muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You look like Halle Berry in your pictures. I can't see what isn't to love. I have the same problem with pants (tight in thighs, loose in waist) but I think I look damn good because of it.

If you aren't liking your results, eat less and/or stop lifting.

What a compliment, thank you! I already don't eat more than 1200-1300 calories a day, so I don't think it would be good for me to drop below that. I think I need to lift lighter for awhile & see what happens.

^^^This statement and your original post don't seem to jive in my book... How are you putting on ridiculous amounts of muscle but only eating 1200-1300 cals/day?......
  • krisha36
    Options
    tell him ur a boxer to kick his a**
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Damn..can't see the pics at work :grumble: But judging by your profile pics, I'm sure they're stunning.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Pics
    photo37.jpg
    photo36.jpg
    photo35.jpg
    photo39.jpg

You are not too bulky at all actually. I was expecting something massive lol You just look lean. I don't see any problem with how you look.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    My gosh, I'm trying but I can't reply fast enough to everyone who has given me such great advice. I think the first step, will be so lift lighter & do more reps so I can see if I slim down overall a little. I'm okay with having tone & muscle, but when my clothes stop fitting right it makes me think that I'm getting bigger than I want to be or was planning on being. Also maybe my body is changi so fast, that I'm just not used to it yet. I just need to change some things & see what happens.

Slim down overall? :noway:

Going by the usual meaning, "slim down" means to lose fat, and if you do that, you will look RIPPED. Going by what you've said so far, i don't think RIPPED is the look you're after...

You look really terrific right now. Not bulky. Just fit and toned and strong and healthy. You're living the dream.

MAYBE you can stand to put on a little more fat, which will make you look "softer". I personally wouldn't do that in your shoes.

I don't mean this with any disrespect, but you might have a slight case of body image issues (really, we all do to some extent). It's a good exercise to try and love yourself and your body regardless of what shape you are in at the moment (and I remind you again, that your case, you are in really excellent shape).
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I want dat dere genetics.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    nice guns, but otherwise, I see no bulk. I also don't see too low amount of body fat....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Screw the pants..................just wear shorts and skirts!!!:happy:

I'd walk right behind you with a drool trail..........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What rep range are you working with?

If you are working in the hypertrophy range with a lot of volume you could be experiencing "the pump" or a temporary increase in sacroplasmic fluid which makes it appear like you are "bulking up" when in fact you are not.

Stop weights for three days or so. See what happens. If you notice a clear difference then it's probably the above. You could consider working with a lower rep range and a higher weight or a higher rep range with lower weight or reduce the volume of your training.

Up to you really.

5 days a week I do half an hour fasted cardio in the morning & another half an hour in the evening. I lift weights Monday thru Friday focusing on a different area each day for example......When I do my legs I do around 200 pounds on the leg press machine, between 100-150pounds on the other machines. I do 3 sets of 15 on each machine. Saturdays I just do morning cardio & Sundays I rest.

Breakfast is Oatmeal & Coffee
    I have a protein shake after my workout
    Mid morning I'll have an apple & maybe 10 almonds
    Lunch is fish with a green vegetable & maybe 4 ounces of sweet potato
    Late afternoon snack is probably a rice cake or some popcorn, maybe baby carrots with peanut butter
    Dinner is a tossed salad with some canned tuna or tilapia mixed in
    Desert is greek yogurt or cottage cheese, sometimes I even mix the two together.
    The weekends I allow myself a cheat meal or two. But, still try to stay within my calorie range.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Pics
    photo37.jpg
    photo36.jpg
    photo35.jpg
    photo39.jpg

oh sweetie.....you have chicken legs.
    and your arms arent "bulky", theyre defined because you have a low bf%. changing the weights/reps arent going to help you at all- and cardio will lower bf further on you. eat more :) youll smooth out and look less "cut".

I would adore a low bf, just to get ripped- but i powerlift. i eat like a horse. therefore, i stay smooth.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You should compete, just sayin.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    My gosh, I'm trying but I can't reply fast enough to everyone who has given me such great advice. I think the first step, will be so lift lighter & do more reps so I can see if I slim down overall a little. I'm okay with having tone & muscle, but when my clothes stop fitting right it makes me think that I'm getting bigger than I want to be or was planning on being. Also maybe my body is changi so fast, that I'm just not used to it yet. I just need to change some things & see what happens.

Going by the usual meaning, "slim down" means to lose fat, and if you do that, you will look RIPPED. Going by what you've said so far, i don't think RIPPED is the look you're after...

You look really terrific right now. Not bulky. Just fit and toned and strong and healthy. You're living the dream.

MAYBE you can stand to put on a little more fat, which will make you look "softer". I personally wouldn't do that in your shoes.

I don't mean this with any disrespect, but you might have a slight case of body image issues (really, we all do to some extent). It's a good exercise to try and love yourself and your body regardless of what shape you are in at the moment (and I remind you again, that your case, you are in really excellent shape).

^ i second this. You are really really pushing yourself and you're still unhappy with yourself. The problem is not your body, the problem is how you see yourself. <3
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Pics
    photo37.jpg
    photo36.jpg
    photo35.jpg
    photo39.jpg

You are not too bulky at all actually. I was expecting something massive lol You just look lean. I don't see any problem with how you look.

Your morning pic from your avatar is how I would love to look! Strong, but still lean.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I also think you look beautiful and would kill for the muscle definition you have.

However I understand what you're saying because I have seen first hand how women get bulky on top. When I was doing Crossfit we did a lot of upper body centralized workouts, and some of the girls have developed man shoulders/traps/biceps from doing too much of it. I personally focus more on my legs, abs, and triceps, and less on my biceps, shoulders, and back. I do more body weight stuff for those areas, and I also depend on compound lifts to "tone" (for lack of better word) those areas.

If I were you I'd just simply tone it down a bit. Without knowing your exact routine I would say incorporate more compound lifts and stay away from static exercises like bicep curls, etc.. You obviously have the genetics that assist you in developing good muscle tone so there isn't too much escaping that.
  • DJ2120
    Options

^ i second this. You are really really pushing yourself and you're still unhappy with yourself. The problem is not your body, the problem is how you see yourself. <3

I agree with both of you, I am a perfectionist & always feel that I can do better & that what I have done so far isn't good enough. I try to get past it though.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Pics
    photo37.jpg
    photo36.jpg
    photo35.jpg
    photo39.jpg

If you save the 3 mirror pics to your computer, then do the left and right arrow keys fast, then it looks like you are dancing. I feel like dancing
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I also think you look beautiful and would kill for the muscle definition you have.

However I understand what you're saying because I have seen first hand how women get bulky on top. When I was doing Crossfit we did a lot of upper body centralized workouts, and some of the girls have developed man shoulders/traps/biceps from doing too much of it. I personally focus more on my legs, abs, and triceps, and less on my biceps, shoulders, and back. I do more body weight stuff for those areas, and I also depend on compound lifts to "tone" (for lack of better word) those areas.

If I were you I'd just simply tone it down a bit. Without knowing your exact routine I would say incorporate more compound lifts and stay away from static exercises like bicep curls, etc.. You obviously have the genetics that assist you in developing good muscle tone so there isn't too much escaping that.

I agree, I think it really must be my genetics because I'm even more muscular than some of my friends who have worked out their whole lives.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Your morning pic from your avatar is how I would love to look! Strong, but still lean.
    [/quote]

Very true. OP, you look beautiful. Lots of women would kill for your body. Check my profile picture if you want to see someone who looks bulky. I have lots of bulk, aka "fat" all over.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Pics
    photo37.jpg
    photo36.jpg
    photo35.jpg
    photo39.jpg

If you save the 3 mirror pics to your computer, then do the left and right arrow keys fast, then it looks like you are dancing. I feel like dancing

LOL :laugh: