Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Both my sisters are size 12. one is 6 foot and one is barely 5 foot. They both are happy at that size, even though their body shapes are very different. Im a 22, down from 26 and size 12 would have me over the moon :)

You can do it! I used to long for the day I was a size 12 and made it my goal, but now that I'm there, I'm ready for the size 8!
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I was at my highest weight and wore a size 22, Size 12 was my dream size. When I reached Size 12, I LOVED it and then suddenly I felt like I needed to lose more weight. I look good at a size 12, a nice average size person. It really depends on the person's build as to how they will look in a 12. I know ppl who are a size 12 and they look heavier than me and I know some who are 12 and they look thinner than me. Its about the size you feel most comfortable in.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    I think it depends on HEIGHT and MUSCLE. I'm 5'2 and I'm a size 14 (down from an 18). My goal size is a size 8/9.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person: height, weight, bone/muscle mass, etc. I'm 5'5'' at 185lbs and I'm a size 12. For me it's too big, I don't just look overweight I feel it. I feel more comfortable in a size 10, but I'm also fairly short.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Wherever you feel comfortable!

When I was in a size 12 I was still over 200 pounds. I'm now 170 & a size 8. I'm 5 feet tall and have a curvy frame.. it depends on a lot of things. For me, 12 wasn't it.. but again I'm only 5 feet!! I'm working to get to a solid 6.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

When I was in a size 12 I was still over 200 pounds. I'm now 170 & a size 8. I'm 5 feet tall and have a curvy frame.. it depends on a lot of things. For me, 12 wasn't it.. but again I'm only 5 feet!! I'm working to get to a solid 6.

Holy crap! You must have pretty narrow hips or carry your weight different than me. I'm barely over 200 pounds and wear a size 22. You must think I'm a whale! :laugh:
  • the_britster
    the_britster Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It depends on how tall you are. I was obese when I wore a size 12. I am 5'4"
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Holy crap! You must have pretty narrow hips or carry your weight different than me. I'm barely over 200 pounds and wear a size 22. You must think I'm a whale! :laugh:

I was just thinking the same thing!! I am 5'1" and 170 pounds and a size 12/SOMETIMES 10. I couldn't fit a size 8 over my gigantic *kitten* if my life depended on it. LMAO!
  • the_britster
    the_britster Posts: 84 Member
    Options

You must both have worn the wrong size.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Size 12 does not equal Fat, to answer the original posted question.

We are all different. I was miserable at a size 14 with 45 more pounds on me.

45 pounds down, I am a size 6 or 8. Sizes are jacked. I am 5'8" and weigh 129. if I look at most measurement charts for my size, they would tell me to squeeze into a small or size 4/6 ... so I start with a 6,8 and 10 of the garment I want to buy to try on.

I buy the size that fits well and makes me feel beautiful.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Depends on height and body type I have a very small frame and people called me fat when I was a size 10 and I am 5'6.5
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    For me, a 12 is still too big. for my size and height I'm healthier around 6-7-8.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.

Marilyn would be considered overweight today. And oh yes, the sizes are VERY different now! When I was a teenager the perfect size was a 10. I was 5'1", 103 pounds, and wore a 10. (I was 11 when Marilyn died, so, do the math).

She wouldn't be considered overweight today. Her measurements, during her heyday, were exactly the healthy height/waist and hip/weight ratio. Her BMI was healthy (not that THAT is an accurate measure). Granted, Marilyn Monroe did have a period of time where she was heavier, so I can't speak for that. But if we're talking in her prime, no, she was not medically overweight.

If you're speaking purely of subjective, Hollywood "Oooh, everyone's so skinny...!"

I still think she wouldn't be considered overweight. I think it's a crutch women to use still to justify being a "bigger size," or to rebel against the "in vogue" notion of being "very thin"... which, let's be honest. Heroin chic was a 90s look. The 20-teens and beyond have been all about "loving curves" and the complete OPPOSITE mentality (where overweight women = curvy, versus a certain body type = curvy).

That's a whole other can of worms though.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm five four and my body shape went from an hour glass, to a pear, and I've finally lost enough weight to realize that I'm actually straight up and down. A size twelve on ME in MY opinion means I'm too heavy. I'm currently balanced on the edge of a six and I'm still soft in the middle, because that's where most of my excess weight goes. It really depends on the body.
  • starrynightskys
    starrynightskys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just to clear it up for everyone, a US size 12 is a UK size 16 (and in Australia)

So a UK size 12, is an American size 8

:)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I don't understand this sizing stuff! There must be a huge difference by height! I'm 5'4.. At close to 200 pounds i wore a size 18. At 170 i was wearing a 14. I have to weigh like 125 to get into a 6.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a size 12. Society is sad, and can subsequently suck my nuts. if i make it to being a 12, i will prolly stop. Thats more than enough for me to look beyond amazing.

People still use this as an excuse? Sizing has changed so drastically, Marilyn Monroe would be a size FOUR or SIX in today's sizing... on top of the fact that she was an unusual hourglass shape to begin with.

Marilyn would be considered overweight today. And oh yes, the sizes are VERY different now! When I was a teenager the perfect size was a 10. I was 5'1", 103 pounds, and wore a 10. (I was 11 when Marilyn died, so, do the math).

She wouldn't be considered overweight today. Her measurements, during her heyday, were exactly the healthy height/waist and hip/weight ratio. Her BMI was healthy (not that THAT is an accurate measure). Granted, Marilyn Monroe did have a period of time where she was heavier, so I can't speak for that. But if we're talking in her prime, no, she was not medically overweight.

If you're speaking purely of subjective, Hollywood "Oooh, everyone's so skinny...!"

I still think she wouldn't be considered overweight. I think it's a crutch women to use still to justify being a "bigger size," or to rebel against the "in vogue" notion of being "very thin"... which, let's be honest. Heroin chic was a 90s look. The 20-teens and beyond have been all about "loving curves" and the complete OPPOSITE mentality (where overweight women = curvy, versus a certain body type = curvy).

That's a whole other can of worms though.

Unfortunately, a healthy body weight is for some reason often seen as "overweight." I don't know why that is.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?

We all had different starting points, and logically, different goals. We have different body types, carry our weights differently, and have different physical objectives. If you feel good at a 12 and your doctor says you've reached a healthy weight, who cares what everyone else is doing. Give yourself a high five and go buy some more size 12 jeans!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I was just thinking the same thing!! I am 5'1" and 170 pounds and a size 12/SOMETIMES 10. I couldn't fit a size 8 over my gigantic *kitten* if my life depended on it. LMAO!

you all might also be comparing apples to oranges. a size 12 in one store is not the same as a size 12 in another store. also sizes are going to be different depending if we're talking about pants or dresses. plus there's also the possibility that people are wearing a size they are too big for :wink: just because someone can get into something doesnt mean it's the right size :laugh:

for instance i can squeeze into a pair of size 10 pants. to some people that would be considered be able to wear a size 10, completely disregarding the muffin top and the seams that are near splitting
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I know I am late to the party... but it depends on your body type and height... I am 165ish right now at 5'1"... I fit into a size 12-14 right now... for all intents and purposes, that is fat and according to the BMI and BF% I am obese (on the cusp of Obese and overweight... but there nonetheless)... however, if I were coming from wearing a size 20 or something, then no I probably wouldn't see that as fat.