PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    some people use it to listen to music though.

Or maybe their updating their MFP to show what they just completed :p

*addicted to MFP* thread :laugh: :wink: :heart:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Pointing out the errors of others only shows insecurity (as does listing all your credentials, btw).

It's very dangerous to give attention to the things we dislike in others...Once we start, how can we ever stop? Work out and go home.
    [/quote]

this. although now we are doing it to the OP hahahah!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if they are using it between sets i dont see a problem. maybe mind your own business?
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I sit and text, watch youtube videos, look up interesting things on the internet, send emails, etc.while sitting on a machine. Personally, if someone wants the machine and doesn't know how, or wishes, to get the same exercise in another manner, they're more then welcome to come ask me to share the machine with them. I will gladly do it! If they're too timid to come ask to "work in", they can enjoy being quietly and discreetly angry in a corner somewhere.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Lol uh..do you feel better now? Sorry that people actually do things that you don't agree with.
    Gym ettiquette. Some have it some don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Pointing out the errors of others only shows insecurity (as does listing all your credentials, btw).

It's very dangerous to give attention to the things we dislike in others...Once we start, how can we ever stop? Work out and go home.
    Lol, double standard right?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I sit and text, watch youtube videos, look up interesting things on the internet, send emails, etc.while sitting on a machine. Personally, if someone wants the machine and doesn't know how, or wishes, to get the same exercise in another manner, they're more then welcome to come ask me to share the machine with them. I will gladly do it! If they're too timid to come ask to "work in", they can enjoy being quietly and discreetly angry in a corner somewhere.
    Or they could be unconfident nice people who don't like to deal with people who lack gym etiquette.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have my phone out as I have my lifting schedule on it and listen to music on it.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    At the beginning of my gym time, I didn't use my phone at all. Now, almost 2 years later, I use my phone more and more.
    I listen to music while on the elliptical or bike, and lately (as workouts get harder) I have to look up the right music to push me through. I could make lists for the different speeds, but I'm just too busy to take time for this.
    I get my workout programs from my personal trainer via email, so I check the right weights, heights, reps, sets etc on my phone. I used to print it out for 1.5 years, and check the paper. I fill in what I did, right when I'm done with the exercise (before it was on paper, now I'm typing on my phone). Sometimes I even check between sets because I tend to switch off my brain when at the gym. After I'm completely done, I might even log into MFP to log my exercise.
    I usually take a look around me to see if there might be someone waiting to take my place. I too usually don't stand next to a machine to wait for it to be mine. People get their time and free room to finish their workout. But if I see them chatting, phoneing, wasting time, I walk up and ask how long they need to finish. That way they know there's somebody waiting to use what they occupy.
    I NEVER use my phone when I'm working out with my personal trainer. It may vibrate, somebody calling, texting, whatever, I don't care. I have it with me to fix a new appointment, and then it's ignored. PT hour is me-time and I don't let anybody take this from me. If there's a really huge emergency, people who would be allowed to disturb me know where I am, and could call the gym.
    This all is a question of manners and etiquette. Some people are well educated, others just don't care.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's rude. I listen to tunes on my phone when I'm on a cardio machine or running but I keep it in my locker during strength training or classes. People really can't live without their phones long enough to do weights? Really.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm a social worker and I'm on call 24/7. Sometimes I get a call/text/email on my phone while working out. I don't have the luxury of NOT taking that call or answering the text or responding to the email. Sometimes I can drop my speed and deal with my work issue without having to completely interrupt my workout. Mabye before vilifying everyone as "lackluster" you could realize that some of us aren't professional exercisers and have things to attend to outside the gym. That said -- basic gym etiquette should always apply in that if you are waiting for a machine you smile and nicely ask them about how much longer they'll be. And if you aren't waiting for their machine it's really none of your business how they are working out.
    Basic gym etiquette is to leave the workout area if you are going to take a call. You aren't the only person who is on call 24/7 for your job, and that doesn't automatically give you the right to be rude and disturb other people and take up valuable machine space while you take phone calls, whether they are business or personal is irrelevant.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'm a social worker and I'm on call 24/7. Sometimes I get a call/text/email on my phone while working out. I don't have the luxury of NOT taking that call or answering the text or responding to the email. Sometimes I can drop my speed and deal with my work issue without having to completely interrupt my workout. Mabye before vilifying everyone as "lackluster" you could realize that some of us aren't professional exercisers and have things to attend to outside the gym. That said -- basic gym etiquette should always apply in that if you are waiting for a machine you smile and nicely ask them about how much longer they'll be. And if you aren't waiting for their machine it's really none of your business how they are working out.
    Basic gym etiquette is to leave the workout area if you are going to take a call. You aren't the only person who is on call 24/7 for your job, and that doesn't automatically give you the right to be rude and disturb other people and take up valuable machine space while you take phone calls, whether they are business or personal is irrelevant.

how on earth do you work out sitting on that high horse?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    If I'm at the gym and someone is using a piece of equipment that I want to use and taking too long, I can see getting frustrated. Beyond that, isn't most of this discussion about not liking how other people make different choices that don't align with the choices I make?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to socialize not workout

We all have different goals, don't judge me

ahahahahahh...
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel as though my work out time is my time AWAY from all the crap. Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I don't. One thing I cannot stand is when people use their phone during hot yoga. Yoga is supposed to be calming and peacefully, I don't want to heard about your weird bumps in your private parts.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I use my phone as a stopwatch/timer to time my intervals/rest periods to make sure I'm not slacking off in the gym.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I feel as though my work out time is my time AWAY from all the crap. Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I don't. One thing I cannot stand is when people use their phone during hot yoga. Yoga is supposed to be calming and peacefully, I don't want to heard about your weird bumps in your private parts.

I think only a first timer would bring a cell phone into a hot yoga class. experienced yoga people most likely wouldnt even think of doing it.

at least at the studio I used to go to.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like to see going to the gym as ME time.. My phone is kept in the locker and I just have music going and that is IT. Its my time to focus and to unwind from a long day at work. :) It really frustrates me tho when people are on their phones not far from the workout areas... I'm going to sound selfish here, but they are hindering on ME time!! :)
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Ah, this topic again! lol

Directed to the OP and anyone else: The only part of this topic that should not be debated is if the person who is using the phone or whatever device is making other people wait. Even if you don't have a phone on you, people can make other people wait too long for weights, circuit training machines or even cardio (ex. our gym has only 4 stair masters, so using it for an hour during busy times is not right). I agree for that there should be no reason that you're causing other people to wait on you. This is common etiquette, it's not really a phone issue, more just common etiquette. IMO

Directed to anyone; Also, my opinions below are for larger gyms, not small gyms. Small gyms don't really get noisy and because of the smaller space my opinions would be different. re: The phone- The phone is not just a phone anymore. Many of us do way may with our phones than just talk or text. Welcome to the world of apps. I don't really care if someone is talking/texting on the phone while doing cardio. It's none of my business. The gym is noisy, get over it. I get that some people talk loud on the phone. Guess what, they talk loud in person also. If they are talking to the person next to them and it's loud, so what. Get over it. IMO Now, don't give me the "they must not be working hard enough BS either". Many people do cardio workouts in the "fat burning" zone. I can talk while doing cardio in this zone. If on the right cardio machine, I can also text while in that zone. Outside of the fat burning zone, that is not the case. Texting does not bother anyone else in the gym. don't give that text alert BS either. lol Again, the gym is noisy.
    LIke many have said, people are listening to music on their phones, using fitness apps, watching a movie etc.... Again, this is not bothering anyone else as long as it's not causing people to wait.
    It does not matter if people "need" a phone on them for business or for their kids to be able to contact them. You should have your phone on you if you want to. A larger gym in this day and age that has the "no phone" policy will not be getting my money, plain and simple.
    That being said, sometimes I have my phone on me and use it, most of the time I don't. The only reason I don't is because I do 5 spin classes a week, I'm working my *kitten* off and can't imagine even being able to hold a phone let alone use it. lol

I apologize for sounding so blunt and unconcerned about how others feel on this topic. For those that easily get bothered by some of this, I don't know what to tell you. When I'm working my butt off, I don't really know what's going on around me, let alone being bothered by hearing someone talking on the phone or hearing a text alert. I'm at the gym to accomplish my own goals, not worry about what others are doing. We all pay gym membership dues. If someone wants to walk at a slow speed on the treadmill while watching Netflix, then go for it. If someone wants to text while doing cardio, then go for it. If someone is not using a phone, but seems preoccupied checking others out or talking to the person next to them while appearing not to give much effort into their workout, then go for it.

Fire away!
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options

Lol, double standard right?

IDEA Fitness member

"Double Standard"?

If you like.

You posted your diatribe to get attention....(Just a fact).

I gave you some. ....I also gave you a solution to what's bothering you. You CAN ignore the annoying foibles of those around you...if you choose.