Why you souldent eat back your calories

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The cited quote doesn't back what your intended point was.

Person A eats 2000 calories a day, and wants to lose weight so they start exercising. They keep eating 2000 calories per day & exercise off 300 calories but don't eat those calories back. They consume 1700 net calories.

Person B eats 2000 calories a day, and wants to lose weight so they start exercising. They cut thier base food intake to 1700 calories per day, exercise off 300 more calories, but eat back those 300 calories. They consume 1700 net calories.

Person C eats 2000 calories per day & wants to lose weight but hates to exercise. They cut thier calories to 1700 per day. They consume 1700 net calories.

3 different ways to look at it, all end up at the same net calories.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    tracey-morgan-nope.gif
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Was this a spelling class thread or information about exercise calories to eat or not to eat?

I personally DON"T eat my exercise calories. What I do is set myfitnesspal goal to what my TDEE would be calculated based on my lean body mass not these calculators you find on the web. Then from whatever food and exercise I have during the day the "remaining" calories is my deficit and I try to keep that between 500-1000 calorie deficit. That's it! Problem solved with the whole exercise dilemma.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Cant even be bothered to explain how many shades of wrong you are.

I will say this: Try riding a bike for 70 miles without replenishing any of your exercise calories. You will have a really, really crappy day!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    im not getting involved in THAT, but what words are spelled incorrectly in this post ?!?!?!? :indifferent:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    What kind of statement is that? Your post doesn't even attempt to prove your topic heading. I call Shenanigans.

Shennanigans has been called. the tribunal will now meet.

I'll get my broom...
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    True, burning off 300 calories is not a license to go eat 1,000. But so long as you're not eating back more than you're burning, you SHOULD eat more. In fact, it's necessary. I'm a runner - I cannot imagine going out and running 13 miles and NOT coming back to a bigger meal than I would usually eat. If you're exercising at a high level, your body needs more nutrients. Example: Michael Phelps could get away with eating about 5,000 calories a day when he was in full-on training mode. He was burning them all off in the pool - try to find a pound of flab on that guy. However, if I went out and swam a few laps for 20 minutes, I could *not* eat 5,000 calories and expect to look like an Olympian. It's simple addition and subtraction.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What kind of statement is that? Your post doesn't even attempt to prove your topic heading. I call Shenanigans.

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

Right! Its sexist. What happened to all the Hegrampigans?
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Just a friendly reminder:

WE ARE NOT LICENSED NUTRITIONISTS!!!!

Thank you. That is all.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The Best Piece of Weight Loss Advice Ever Exercise is not a license to eat. “All too often clients believe that any exercise gives them permission to eat more,” says Moore, “The truth is, it rarely balances out calories consumed.”

"Wrong," says Dave, "The truth is everything NinerBuff said."

"Well, Dave, I'm not sure how I feel about your input" was Bill's response. "I don't trust people of your race."

Damn that Bill is a '50s style racist.

"Geez, Bill, I think you should open your mind to the power of diversity and perhaps you'd be less grumpy if you ate back your exercise calories," Dave retorted.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to call bull **** here! When you're speaking in generalities, sure...I know a lot of people who exercise but don't watch their diets and don't really change anything...they usually do not have success in losing weight because regardless of the exercise, they're still consuming a surplus or maintenance level of calories. If your plan consists of a built in weight loss caloric deficit, you would want to eat back some/most/all of your exercise calories burned. If you're just going around willy nilly exercising and eating, you're probably not going to have much success...if you're good and honest about logging everything and stay at or just shy of your daily caloric goal, you will lose weight, period!

If I burned 500 calories exercising and have a built in 500 calorie deficit in my plan and I didn't eat those back, I'd be at 1,000 calorie deficit...that's insane and my metabolism would go to **** in a hurry because my body would think I'm starving...which I would be.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my workout cals, but to each their own I guess.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    tell that to my post marathon calorie deficit.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    1349914148279.jpg
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Meh... I ate my exercise calories. I lost 66 pounds and have been easily maintaining that loss since early June.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    HEY EVERBODY I AM HEAR WITH SOME SCIENSE NEWS ABOT NTURITION
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    come back wear is everone giong
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Spell check is your friend.

^^^ It never ceases to amaze me that so many people fail to utilize this tool