? to women burning 700+ calories a workout

Options

Replies

• cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I usually burn 700+ and I am disappointed if I don't. I am 4'11'' and about 153ish. Here are some of the things I do (in and out of the gym) and where I get my numbers:

Elliptical 30 min = 282 cals (HRM)
    Swimming sidestroke 30 min = 326 (MFP)
    deep water class 50 min = 456 (Online info)
    water walking 30 min = 261 (online info)
    rowing 30 min = 227 (HRM)
    biking 1 hour = 550 (HRM)
    roller blading 45 min = 625 (HRM)
    hiking 90 min = 740 (HRM)
    insanity 40 min = 326 (HRM)
    C25K 30 min = 152 (HRM)
    30 day shred 30 min = 203 (HRM)

I usually do a combination depending on time. Lately it's been mostly biking because the weather is so nice, I cant stand the thought of the gym right now!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do 3 or 4 x mini-workouts a day, half an hour at a time. Lifting when I get up, walking to work, walking from work and exercise bike before bed.

I do at least three of these a day and an hour and a half of yoga on Mondays. It may sound like a lot but I want to get fit as well as un-fat so I need to do it.

In the morning, I lift for 30 mins = 400 cals
    Walk to work 45(ish) mins uphill = 350 cals
    Walk from work (40) ish mins = 300 cals
    Exercise bike, uphill fat burning programme 30-40 mins = 4/500 cals

I used to be a couch potato. It took 6 weeks for my new liftstyle to become a habit but I can never see myself going back to being a lazy slob any more.
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    For me, the only time I burn that many calories is when I go for a long hike or cycle. Then I can easily hit 700 + (I weigh 142)

The thing to remember, though, is that if you lift weights you might not burn so many calories immediately - but your metabolism will be raised and your body will keep torching those calories for far longer than it would after cardio :)
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I weigh around 135(ish) and I tend to burn more like 400-500 calories/hour. Yesterday I did Kettlebells for an hour and burned around 540 and I was WIPED. It definitely depends on your weight. I agree with EllaScarlet, you burn fewer calories during lifting sessions, but it revs your metabolism to burn more calories at rest.

Also, if you're burning the upwards of 1000 calories, you need to be eating enough to sustain that kind of exertion. That's part of the reason I don't do massive cardio sessions all that often...I just don't think I could eat that much!
  • 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Play 2 hours of advanced level of tennis (singles)
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    I am 200ish lbs and yesterday I burned more than 700 calories doing 40 minutes of strength training followed by 30 minutes of dance workout dvd cardio! It was really really tough. I'll probably stick to lower calorie burning workouts from now on.
  • AshleyPro
    Options
    stairmaster! burned 700 calories in just over an hour... i weight about 169lbs
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    RUNNING. I weigh 142 and burn 100 calories for each mile i run (about).

just about the same although I only burn about 648 an hour with running, I'm a little slower.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a dancer, so doing that for just about 3 hours burns a good 780 calories for me. Also, on my days off, I really hit the elliptical and get my heart rate up. My average is around 700 or so calories for a 90 minute workout
  • ThinMint_Stac
    ThinMint_Stac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When i am on the treadmill i have the incline at 6 to 10% and i am doing arm punches the whole time. Walking at 3.8 to 4.0 mph for 60 to 80 minutes.
  • SCouture421
    Options
    Tae Bo .. With weights gibes me approx 800 or more :) 880 according to MFP!
  • Nicoleforeman1988
    Options
    I burn 700 calories in a workout that is an hour long. We do mostly body weight strength training and throw some cardio in. I use myzone through my gym and it tells us all our info. Im 130 lbs
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Can anybody recommend a good hrm that's not too costly
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I burn 1100-1300 calories in a two hour workout. I weigh about 130. I typically run, lift, and end with yoga.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I can get at least 600 calories an hour swimming laps, or running for 1 hr at a vigorous pace. I weight 139. I can also get at least 500 per hour biking or in spin class, and get upwards of 700 or 750 calories in an hour on the amt machine, around 550 or 600 on the elliptical, and around 600 per hour on the rowing machine. I can get around at least 450 an hour doing zumba if I push myself and at least 500 an hour doing kickboxing, martial arts, or tae bo. For water jogging I can get around 500-550. Regular stationary bike I can get 450-500 an hour, jumping rope I can get 500-750 an hour. Circuit training I can get around 500 an hr, than just traditional weight training. If I race walk for 75-90 minutes, I could probably get at least 500. Step aerobics, I can get 500-700 an hr. Hiking I could get like 400 an hr, and some of the other activities or machines at least 400 an hour. I'd love to get into rollerblading because it can burn upwards of 800 or 900 an hour, while snowshoeing, sledding, and cross country skiing can go upwards of 500 calories or more. Kayaking can give me at least 30o an hour. I also have done cardio yoga and cardio pilates(dvds) and those can give you a good burn. Rock climbing on a wall or using the Jacob's ladder can give you a great calorie burn, probably up there with running. Dancing can give me at least 400 an hour, etc. Tennis, racquetball, soccer, basketball, ice skating, etc can give you a great burn if you play for an hour or two.
  • khambo49
    Options
    So it seems everyone has there's HRM watch things. Are they good and accurate?

How much do they cost and where do I get one?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hiking - we drive to a nearby national park and follow the trails that are set up. Some take 45 mins and some take 2 hours - when we spend the day hiking we can easily burn over 1k calories, it's a lot of fun and we can eat whatever we want, too!
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Boxing then weight lifting does it for me.
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh 130 and, when running, I burn around 110 kcal per 10 minutes, so, an hour of running will get me there. But I have a pretty high heart rate, 180-190bpm.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    the heavier the person, the more calories they will lose