Why do people hide their diaries?

Options

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to give other people ideas of what to eat. There are COUNTLESS recipe websites with a focus on healthy eating, and searching those for recipes and new ideas seems like it would be much simpler (plus faster and more useful) than browsing the food diaries of random strangers.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Because people can be mean, that's why they hide their diaries...or t they might be the ones who tell people like me I shouldn't be eating too many fish fillets from mcdonalds and candybars. Obviously it aint' hurting me. I've already had a couple people tell me I won't lose weight if I keep eating like do..except they didn't even look at my profile or my pics and see that I am maintaining.

Anyways, my diary is open to my friends. And even they can be critical. well, I think I look a-ok despite my highly criticized meal plan.

I want to be honest to myself and to me. And sometimes just knowing someone is going to be looking...keeps me from eating that 3rd fish fillet sandwich..lol..
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't want any advice or accountability for my diet.

And this!!!

I am accountable only to ME!

This
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Stop caring what other people think! :)

Has anyone honestly had an unsolicited PM criticising their food choices? (By unsolicited, I mean you haven't posted up asking why you're not losing weight or similar.) Because nobody in the 8 months I've been here has contacted me about my food diary. :) *ExpectsAFlurryOfInsultingPMsNow*

This. Mine is open. I use this site for the support to and from other members. I find it helpful for ideas on say ways of how to get more protein for instance and I am happy that anybody could benefit from my choices. If I am not eating correctly and I know about it and am serious with this journey, then I would be trying to change anyway. If I have not noticed that something is bad for me, then I would welcome suggestions.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Simply because what I eat is none of your business.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to keep mine open for people who would rather profile creep than be friends.

This! Its personal choice! I log my diary for MY benefit. I have seen WAY too much diary criticism in the forums to EVER open mine!

Live and let live!

this reason right here...
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    because it's full of secrets
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why people don't publicly share their food diaries on here or even lock them with passwords? I love clicking on someone's forum post name and checking out their food diaries for comparison and learning sake but many have their diaries locked or hidden from public view. I realize many probably might not know that they have their settings on private or for friends only.. but just curious anyways. I just don't see any real negative consequences for making them public versus showing them so that others can compare and learn from them based on individual goals.

I keep my diary closed because it is an ongoing biochemistry experiment. If people tried to follow my diet to get similar results, without knowing why I do certain things, it could lead to myriad problems.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have reasons for keeping mine closed. I wrote a whole blog about it about a month ago.

But really, how does it affect you and your weight loss goals? If people want to have theirs closed that's their business. Will not being able to see everything people eat affect your efforts in any way?

:drinker:
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Mines closed because I log it for me, not you. If you want to know what I eat, ask and I'll tell you. That and I don't want anyone to know how much I love cheese! :smokin:
  • jennalee1312
    Options
    I dont even really know why mine is on private...guess I didnt feel my daily breakfast of fresh pear slices and plain oatmeal was all that interesting....my 2 year old and I both share serious food allergies...a rather long list....I basically eat whatever I make for her...we dont eat fastfood.... NOT bc were snobs but bc we have so many allergies...I can eat some fast food but its rare...

My diary wouldn't be helpful to anyone bc we have so many allergies that most peoples diet would be lacking on how we eat but we take supplements to make up for it....guess I didnt wanna explain that every time someone commented on how I eat.

Plus bc the allergies deprive us of so many foods (my allergies came on sudden when I got pregnant...my allergist says that's rare but I have a rare disorder where I can suddenly become allergis or un allergic to any food at any time) sometimes I eat not so good for me stuff bc its the ONLY not so good for me thing I can have.

If I was to ask for advice then ok I may need to open it for people to see but I dont ask for advice on what I eat bc I know that not many people are used to working with multiple allergies
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed cause I'm a lush :laugh:
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Simply because what I eat is none of your business.

Nods..
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Since when did preferring privacy become "hiding?!"
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to keep mine open for people who would rather profile creep than be friends.
    Yup agreed.
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    I'll open my diary to public...but then I'd have to kill you.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am taking a break from logging calories so I closed my diary.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    If I was to ask for advice then ok I may need to open it for people to see but I dont ask for advice on what I eat bc I know that not many people are used to working with multiple allergies

Celiac isn't an allergy per se but similarly, I can't hide what I eat from the blood antibody test. If its been eaten, my body is going to make a note of that, diary or no, and a blood test is going to pick it up. The diary comes into use in trying to figure out what the offending food actually was.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, If you want to know what it takes to drop the amount of weight that I have, then you can befriend me and we can motivate each other. Otherwise, if it is someone who just wants to be a profile creeper, they can just look elsewhere. I work very hard to be where I am, and I have a ways to go. If people aren't going to be part of the solution or my end goal, then I don't need them knowing about my habits and who I am friends with.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mine's wide open but I'm fairly certain there's nothing of interest there for MFPers.

If someone wants to criticize what I eat or don't eat it's of no consequence to me as I don't care what imaginary internet people think of my eating habits.