Dads- if you're son wants a baby doll....?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If they want one, go get him one. Father's are more nurturing with babies in this day and age then ever. Father's change diapers and take care of the baby also, so why would it seem strange for a little boy to want to emulate Daddy taking care of the baby? THe toys your boy play with will have no influence on what their sexual orientation is. The only possible negative is that he may get teased by other boys who have been raised by a father with the same thought process as Maxbiker.

This makes me want to hug you!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally normal and a great way to teach him how to take care of a baby. He'll be a great father one day.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of my cousins who played with GI Joes. I'd call them boy barbies, and they'd get so mad!

Anyway, I say why the hell not? People don't seem to care about girls playing with boy toys; why can't it be the other way around!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of my cousins who played with GI Joes. I'd call them boy barbies, and they'd get so mad!

Anyway, I say why the hell not? People don't seem to care about girls playing with boy toys; why can't it be the other way around!

At least so far, your theory seems correct:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820900-dads-if-your-daughter-wanted-a-toy-truck
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom and got my son a baby doll when he was little. it was small and plain and only had a diaper and bib on, and came with a little bottle. I didn't want to stereotype in in to "boy" toys. If he's asking for it, get it. it really is harmess and wants to mimic what others are doing. just be prepared he may try to breast feed if he's seen anyone doing that! my friend's daughter walk around with the baby to her chest.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    If they want one, go get him one. Father's are more nurturing with babies in this day and age then ever. Father's change diapers and take care of the baby also, so why would it seem strange for a little boy to want to emulate Daddy taking care of the baby? THe toys your boy play with will have no influence on what their sexual orientation is. The only possible negative is that he may get teased by other boys who have been raised by a father with the same thought process as Maxbiker.

Seriously? You are just as harsh as you are ignorant. You don't know me or how i father. Stick to answering the question which aint got **** to do with bashing on my reply.

Harsh? Yeah, reality can sometimes be harsh! What is ignorant about that post? My entire post was spot on. In regards to the part of the comment that mentions you. I did not bash you about your opinion, just said that son's that adapt that same opinion as yours from their father may end up teasing the boy who plays with dolls. You stated your opinion, if you can't own it then quit posting on this topic. You originally said what you said, then you kept back pedaling as others called you out on it. Also, I did answer the question of the OP as evidenced in the nice message she sent me thanking me for my reply.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal at all. Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers... all dolls. If my son, who is three, wanted a doll he'd get one.
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    So, my 21month old son is a little obsessed with babies, since my friend dropped by with her newborn son a month or two ago... His Sunday School teacher gave us a "Baby Jesus" wrapped "soap opera style" (where the lid of box is wrapped to easily separate from the box, ie- lift and no tearing of wrapping paper is involved) which he then carried around for a while and rocked and played with for a day and a half before Baby Jesus' head came off (think cheap $1 store baby doll, with stuffing already visible when doll was received)..so when my sister asked what he wanted for a gift, I suggested a Cabbage Patch boy doll - and hubs was a little weirded out by it.. I don't think it's a big deal, I grew up with 4 brothers, 2 of which had to help take care of us "little kids"- and figured they had practice at being Dads - what's the big deal?! right? Would you be okay if your son had a "doll?" I told my husband "he was just pretending to be a Daddy- like you." I don't know if he's just a little homophobic, or what?!

Now I'm not guy but my son loves to have his "babies" one is a boy baby doll that actually pees, another is a prayer doll, and the other is an elephant lol. He loves taking care of them and my husband doesn't mind.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    How is this any different than a girl playing with hot wheels? (Do those even still exist? Please tell me they do)

Funny thing is, I was that girl who dressed up, put my dads tool belt on, and played football and rolled in the mud. I came up straight as an arrow.

My sister, on the other hand, loved dolls, barbies, and really girly things. All be it, she did go for halloween as scream, spider man, and a power ranger...and she turned out to be lesbian...

But trust me, what toys your son plays with is not going to affect his sexual preference if that's what your husband is worried about. Sure, it may be outside of the social norm, but not the NORM. It's pretty normal for boys to play with dolls; they don't understand what is a "girl" toy and what is a "boy" toy. Society places that on them. Let him be a kid and buy him the dang doll.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Studies show that if a boy plays with a star wars action figures, he will become a Jedi when he gets older...
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    How is this any different than a girl playing with hot wheels? (Do those even still exist? Please tell me they do)

Funny thing is, I was that girl who dressed up, put my dads tool belt on, and played football and rolled in the mud. I came up straight as an arrow.

My sister, on the other hand, loved dolls, barbies, and really girly things. All be it, she did go for halloween as scream, spider man, and a power ranger...and she turned out to be lesbian...

But trust me, what toys your son plays with is not going to affect his sexual preference if that's what your husband is worried about. Sure, it may be outside of the social norm, but not the NORM. It's pretty normal for boys to play with dolls; they don't understand what is a "girl" toy and what is a "boy" toy. Society places that on them. Let him be a kid and buy him the dang doll.

yes my son is obsessed with hot wheels
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I think your son is also more secure in his masculinity than MaxBiker.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    At 21 months it is adorable to see a girl or boy nurture and pretend with a doll. At age seven, the boy not so much. Believe me, the world will give him social cues in plenty of time for him to do what is appropriate.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    19w9bb.jpg
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    19w9bb.jpg

Dead on! Love it lol
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    At 21 months it is adorable to see a girl or boy nurture and pretend with a doll. At age seven, the boy not so much. Believe me, the world will give him social cues in plenty of time for him to do what is appropriate.

My son is 5. At what point between now and 7 is it no longer okay for him to play with his doll? This is ridiculous. He may decide not to play with it anymore, I realize, but if he does want to, it's perfectly okay. I know MUCH older girls who play with their American Girls dolls. It's no different.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I just bought my son a Dora play set for Christmas, doll house included. He is going to love it. I cant imagine getting him something he didn't want just because it is a different gender of colored plastic.
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am a child and family counsellor.

Encouraging nurturing behaviour in ALL children is vital to them growing up into emotionally healthy adults. I am sorry to offend men here, but from my experience women are generally more emotionally healthy. Not always of course, but generally speaking they are more comfortable expressing how they feel in healthy ways. I believe this says much about our culture of raising men to be 'men' and not allowing or encouraging them to explore fully what it means to be human. We do the same with girls the other way around- encourage them to be nurturers, and therefore 'look after' others rather than experience and express their full range of emotions.

Incidentally, you should also allow children to engage in non-dangerous combat activity too. Children do not have the language to explain how they feel as adults do. They express themselves largely with play, they often enact what is happening in their lives to help themselves make sense of things. This means that ALL children need access too ALL types of toys, and be allowed the freedom to use them as they choose to so long as it's safe. You can learn so much about your child in just half an hour of watching them play where you don't help them or do things for them. http://www.kathyeugster.com/articles/article003.htm

You CANNOT make a child gay by giving or taking away certain toys. You can however make them emotionally stunted; aggressive; anxious; depressed etc...

By the way, The toys and colours of toys/clothes that we give children were invented by us for marketing purposes: "For example, it wasn't until the 1920s that Western parents began dressing their children in colors. Prior to this, children of both sexes generally wore white, and both boys and girls of a young age were outfitted in dresses. When the color assignments among boys and girls did evolve in the '20s, the colors were reversed: pink was for boys and blue for girls. It wasn't until around the 1940s that the colors flip-flopped to the assignment we recognize today [source: The Guardian]. This lends support to the notion that the color preference between pink and blue comes from culture rather than biology."
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    When my youngest son was born, their grandmother bought his older brothers toy dolls. I didn't have a problem with it. They turned out normal, (as normal as my children could hope to turn out, anyway.)

I have heard that kids who have issues with their sexual identities as adults, preferred "girl toys" as children, but a toy will not turn your child gay.
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    19w9bb.jpg

Dead on! Love it lol

Me too!!! LOLOL
This discussion has been closed.