Treadmill vs street

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Maybe that is why I was having shin splint problems... I was walking on a 3-5 incline.

Could be your shoes too. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that you get from a specialty running store. They will make sure you have the right shoe for your gait.

I always know when my shoes are dead, shin splints. I never used to track miles but now I have an app for that.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    also - I NEED a good playlist when running outside. Music is what keeps me going.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I lost all my weight from the treadmill and it broke because I wore it out! Now I have taken to the streets and I HATE it. I was use to walking/running on a 7 incline and now unless I go find an elevated ground area I am flat and I don't feel I am exerting myself like I did on the treadmill. I could burn way more calories on the treadmill using the incline than I do now. Now I have to stay out longer and go futher to compensate.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?
    Recommendation is 1-2% incline to make up for lack of wind resistance, etc.

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

Maybe that is why I was having shin splint problems... I was walking on a 3-5 incline.

Could be your shoes too. Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that you get from a specialty running store. They will make sure you have the right shoe for your gait.

Never found the specialty shoes to be necessary. I run in $30 clearance rack cross trainers indoors, and work or hiking boots on trails (I dont run on the street .. where people can .. see)
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I always love when this topic pops up....me personally i can do both equally as well....todays run 89 mins ((no music)) treadmill....ppl always contend that treadmill running is so boring....well I run outside as well...beautiful 2.6 mile park....so unless you are running short distances to me I am still seeing the same old sites and sound... going around and around..to me thats boring as well...I run different places, same premise....it just require more focus especially if you are running longer...if you run a 10 min. mile treadmill or outside...same time...same sites....the 1 advantage I will give to the treadmill esp. long runs, my drinks in front of me....hate running outside carrying things....but the 1 advantage or disadvantage depending on your level of comfort abt outside is that you cannot deny the weather factor...that is huge...whichever you prefer Im all for it.....running is just the best feeling EVER.................enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill. I lost all my weight from the treadmill and it broke because I wore it out! Now I have taken to the streets and I HATE it. I was use to walking/running on a 7 incline and now unless I go find an elevated ground area I am flat and I don't feel I am exerting myself like I did on the treadmill. I could burn way more calories on the treadmill using the incline than I do now. Now I have to stay out longer and go futher to compensate.

Congrats on your weight loss!!!!
  • kai47
    kai47 Posts: 39
    Options
    [/quote]

Crummy for me (although I'm not the person you're asking) is anything not between 45 and 65 degrees, any kind of precipitation, wind more than 10mph, snow/ice/mud on the roads, and/or the threat of any of the above during the time I expect to be outside. I hate nature-and i am outside more than in (although I don't have any of the normal resentful feelings towards my treadmill). I will say safety is a much bigger issue than weather where I am-and that will bring me inside faster than hurricane sandy did.

Guess I'm a bit of a princess...
    [/quote]

I feel you on this. I live in New England and have had 3 serious ankle injuries in the last 5 years... not to mention I'm eternally clumsy and fearful of slipping when running with ice/snow. Crutches are the WORST.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Not sure if this has been said or not, but I do a LOT of racing and let me tell you, if you ever want to race, then get out of the treadmill mentality, your joints will thank you come race day!

Your body needs to adapt to the different stress, otherwise you will just injure yourself :(

So true. It takes a few runs (and maybe some run/walks) to get used to running outdoors and learning to pace yourself. I couldn't imagine going straight from a treadmill to a race.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    So, I dont have to walk at an incline or anything to get the same benefit as walking on a trail?

Recent study conducted by Running Times showed that there is no compensation necessary for wind resistance until you are running sub 6:00 miles.

Really? That is good to know because whenever I use the incline on a treadmill I have a harder time with shin splints and asthma.

I prefer outdoors but from about May to Mid-Sept use treadmill. Too hot on the surface of the sun and I can't get up at 4am to run. :tongue:

Never found the specialty shoes to be necessary. I run in $30 clearance rack cross trainers indoors, and work or hiking boots on trails (I dont run on the street .. where people can .. see)

You are in the very fortunate minority. I've seen many peoples' running pains go away from the right shoes.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoors and here's why.....if I start walking on one of our many walking trails here and suddenly decide I'm over it and want to go home, I STILL have to walk home. Yes, maybe I can let myself cop out and do a slightly shorter distance than I had planned....but I don't have a choice but to walk back! If I'm on the treadmill and get it in my mind that I'm over it, I can be in my chair in 2 seconds flat! lol
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

A lot of people aren't as lucky.

I was in pain when I ran until I was fitted for the right kind of shoes. It made all the difference for me.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am stuck on the dreadmil! because it is dark when I am up and dark when I get home. Living in BFE with no street lights, sidewalks, and loose dogs. Makes it safer to be inside. I do better when I see where I am going, and if I can see those dogs coming so I can pay attention if I am going to get bit !! :ohwell: I prefer outside!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I always love when this topic pops up....me personally i can do both equally as well....todays run 89 mins ((no music)) treadmill....ppl always contend that treadmill running is so boring....well I run outside as well...beautiful 2.6 mile park....so unless you are running short distances to me I am still seeing the same old sites and sound... going around and around..to me thats boring as well...I run different places, same premise....it just require more focus especially if you are running longer...if you run a 10 min. mile treadmill or outside...same time...same sites....the 1 advantage I will give to the treadmill esp. long runs, my drinks in front of me....hate running outside carrying things....but the 1 advantage or disadvantage depending on your level of comfort abt outside is that you cannot deny the weather factor...that is huge...whichever you prefer Im all for it.....running is just the best feeling EVER.................enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Most to Least Boring: Track, Treadmill, Trail
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I used to love running on the street (I still do when the weather's beautiful), but it's a bit tough on my knees. I realized the treadmill is easier on my joints... so I've been running on the treadmill as of late. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I was sent to the surface of the sun on a business trip this summer. Lovely place-I enjoyed that it was nice and flat but good Christ it was hot. No reason for it to be almost 90 before the sun is up. And I had to be outside because work insisted we stay in a ghetto hotel that had no gym.

Oh man, that had to have been difficult. I want to try running outside this summer but am so nervous. I went a few times on what seemed like a nice September afternoon... I learned quickly that 98 is still just as hot as 115 when you run at 1 in the afternoon.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to take my little ones to a playground and walk laps around the play area. Sure, it was kind of boring, but the kids were entertained, and we were all getting some exercise.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    double post
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Removed quotes.

I was sent to the surface of the sun on a business trip this summer. Lovely place-I enjoyed that it was nice and flat but good Christ it was hot. No reason for it to be almost 90 before the sun is up. And I had to be outside because work insisted we stay in a ghetto hotel that had no gym.

Oh man, that had to have been difficult. I want to try running outside this summer but am so nervous. I went a few times on what seemed like a nice September afternoon... I learned quickly that 98 is still just as hot as 115 when you run at 1 in the afternoon.

Running in extreme heat conditions just requires adaptations. It takes about 3 weeks for your body to become acclimated to the heat. The first thing you have to do is slow way down. Then, after that acclimation period, you will find your pace naturally getting faster. Maybe not back to your pace at 45°F, but it will be faster than when you first started running in the heat. You will lose this adaptation over the winter and will need the same 3 week period to acclimate when summer rolls back around.
    [/quote]
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to run on the treadmill and was fine with it, but after spending a few months over the summer running outside, I can't stand the treadmill anymore. I get bored out of my mind after like 10 minutes. So now if I'm stuck indoors, I just find different exercises to do instead.
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I like the treadmill because I know how hard i'm pushing myself. If I want to spring I know How fast I am going and for how long which means I don't get the chance to slow down at all.

Although I do like to run outside every once in a while, just for a change of scenery.