What do you do when you see terrible form at the gym?

Options

Replies

• mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I ignore it, but I don't go to the gym, I go to group fitness classes so the instructor is responsible for making sure everyone's form is right.

But, if it was bad to the point of risking serious injury, I think you could say something. Maybe "Hi! Sorry to bother you, but I'd hate for you to get hurt because I didn't say anything. It's best to keep your back straight to avoid [insert horrible injury here]." Or maybe mentioning it to one of the trainers there, if your gym has them.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I make mean faces & then report the misbehavior to the gym owner or the trainers. Oh - and sometimes I mutter "Are you TRYING to hurt yourself?" The reason I tell the owner or manager is because this could turn into a Liability issues.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I just simply try to avoid watching the train wreck. Honestly, most of the people that I see with crappy form are young "adult" (i.e. 18-24 yr old) males that are at the gym with their friends lifting far too heavy in an effort to show off. Those are not people I'm going to try to offer information to because they aren't going to take the advice anyway.

Instead I just try to set a good example. I've gotten to the point now where my muscle size and definition is at the higher end of the people at my gym. So I figure those that are interested in having success like mine will see that I'm not using obscenely heavy weights to do it and they'll see how my form looks on many of the exercises they do themselves. If they don't notice the difference between my form and their own, then chances are they're really not as focused as they need to be on doing it right anyway.

At the end of the day, I go to the gym to improve my body. It's really my "me time". I'm not interested in trying to coach someone else. If they ask for help, I'll gladly give it but I prefer to be in my own little world and focus on my own progress and injury avoidance.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't always ask for advice at the gym (even though I want to) because I don't know who is experienced or not and I can't expect them to be my trainer, they are busy. But, if anyone ever saw me with bad form I would absolutely want them to say something to me, rather than for me to end up injured. Really, my body is that important to me.

See but then you also open yourself up to people that have absolutely no idea what they're doing teaching you their mistakes.

I tend to not correct anybodies technique unless

1) They're a client of mine
    2) They ask for my help
    3) They're about to injure themselves or someone else

As someone said earlier giving out unsolicited advice is often ill received and people can be pretty indignant about which way is the right way.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I ask the gym's PTs to intervene and offer advice rather than sit at their desk...

At my gym on a Saturday afternoon there is a session for teenagers and they often have no idea about technique and risk injuring themselves. I do intervene personally at times but it has more "weight" coming from a fitness professional.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I simply state... "You might want to look up while doing squats unless you are looking for the hernia to pop or your back to go out."
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Today I saw someone going deep on some good mornings with a really rounded back (I'm not exaggerating when I say his back resembled a flamingo's neck) on the squat rack but ultimately just said nothing and let him do his thing.

What would you do if you saw terrible/potentially dangerous form in the gym?

Nice , Even though I see someone with the wrong form , Its is not my responsibility to change or correct them , Unless I am asked .

That is an employees or personal trainers job . I leave my ego outside of the gym and mind my own business .
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I usually pity them and hope they don't do anything. Experiences of trying to intervene are usually filled with "you don't know what you're talking about" and "I've never gotten hurt doing it this way"... and I can't help but add to their second comment a "yet". So I just let them do their own thing.

At the gym I go to, most of what I see is just poor form that wouldn't necessarily cause injury but also doesn't give them maximum results. Again, I just pity them and move on. If they see me with my wonderful form and want to ask questions, then I will give them all the time that I have to talk to them about it, but otherwise it's their loss, not mine.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    mind my own and leave then at it

I am not qualified so not in a position to be giving advise
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Bite my tongue and remind myself that it may be embarassing to a guy to be corrected by a woman.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i tuck my chin back down
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I ignore it unless the person really looks like they could get hurt. If that's the case, I let one of the trainers know to keep an eye on that person.
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about how you come off. Personally, I've had guys come up to me and give me "pointers" but they always came off as condescending to me. It's also subjective; it all depends on the person performing the exercise.
  • KeriAnn06
    KeriAnn06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ???
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am not personally qualified to fix up people's form, but if it seemed really dangerous, I'd discreetly point it out to staff there and mention that person might need a little help--then the experts won't get sued when the person breaks him- or herself in half!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Nothing. It is none of your business. How would you feel if you were in a store and your kid was throwing a temper tantrum and someone came up to you and "respectfully" asked if you wanted parenting advice?

totaly out of context, you could do a serious injury doing weights wrong
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I saw a woman doing machines wrong (like dangerously wrong) and then lifting barbells over her head, I don't think she even knew what to do with them. I figured she was new, shrugged it off, and kept on. The next time I saw her I realized she hadn't changed so I knocked on the door for the trainers and just made a quick comment and one stepped out and helped her on the things she needed help with. This didn't make me look like a know it all d*ck and she got the help she needed from someone who actually works at the gym.

Win-win .
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Today I saw someone going deep on some good mornings with a really rounded back (I'm not exaggerating when I say his back resembled a flamingo's neck) on the squat rack but ultimately just said nothing and let him do his thing.

What would you do if you saw terrible/potentially dangerous form in the gym?

Generally I stare with my "Are you kidding me, you're going to seriously hurt yourself." face
  • KeriAnn06
    KeriAnn06 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nothing. It is none of your business. How would you feel if you were in a store and your kid was throwing a temper tantrum and someone came up to you and "respectfully" asked if you wanted parenting advice?

??? I wouldn't even put this in the same category :s I could see if your child was doing something potentially harmful to themselves and a stranger saying something. That I would very much appreciate but your children's behaviour is none of my business nor does it compare to helping someone at the gym with their proper form. Personally, if I am doing something wrong in the gym and that could pose more harm to my body than good, I would love some friendly advice. I just don't equate that with giving someone else parenting advice.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Typically I'd say it depends on the degree of awful.

If they are an immediate threat to themselves or a spotter, step in and say "Hey do you mind if I give you a tip". if they say no, it's their own problem.

If their form is just off and it isn't too bad, just let them learn themselves.

I've been on both sides of it. I've had people being nice who truly helped me. and I've had people who had little idea on what they were doing, who tried to give me advice I didn't need.