What do you do when you see terrible form at the gym?

Options

Replies

• EQV73
    EQV73 Posts: 41
    Options
    I cringe like I can actually feel the injury coming on followed by pointing and laughing. Then I realize I'm pointing at myself in the mirror and feel really stupid afterwards.
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a newbie who probably has poor form, I'd love it if someone came up to me (nicely) and offered to show me what I was doing wrong. It can be intimidating to interrupt someone and ask them to help me, because they are there for their own workout and I don't want to impose on their time. But if they see me doing something that could be dangerous and counterproductive and spoke up, they'd be my hero!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If I was using poor form, I would love to have someone point it out to me. But When I see people using improper form, I usually just look at them with a confused look on my face.

Still being somewhat of a novice, but having read about things like 21s, drop sets, half reps, kipping, etc. I don't know if that poor form is some attempt at those, or just lack of understanding. I usually just concentrate on my own workout, trying to keep my own form correct.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer that's had my own in-home personal training business since 2001, but I also work out at facilities where I teach indoor cycling classes. I usually know some of the on-staff personal trainers (if they're the ones that actually go to continuing education seminars) so I will mention it to one of them. I was gung-ho when I first became a trainer to feel like I should correct everyone's form. The more experienced I became, the more likely I was to turn it over to the on-staff trainers.

(Of course, early in my career when I was an on-staff trainer I had more than one male turn down any offer of assistance even with that big "Personal Trainer" on my shirt).
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I train in a garage gym, we all know each other well and correct/encourage/belittle each other all the time.

One word of advice though, there is more to strength training than that captured in Starting Strength (there's a clue in the "starting" part). Make sure that the person actually has poor form before you correct them. They might actually know more than you and are doing something for a specific reason. I once had a guy come up to me in a hotel gym. I was doing goodmornings and he approached me with utter contempt in his eyes, "you don't squat like that, OMG you're going to break your back!". I explained, quite politely, that its a reasonably well known movement that anyone who has trained for more than 3 months....

I've also read many a derisive comment on MFP about things which are quite legitimate movements or variations on movements.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I LAUGH !!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is an older guy who looks to be in pretty good shape but he must do 40 sets of leg extensions every time I am there and he uses so much weight (for him) that he is literally bouncing the weight and himself all over the place. The strain on his knees has to be absurdly dangerous. Many guys will watch and shake their heads like...there he goes again....I keep waiting to hear his knee explode...it is almost surreal
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have to hold my tongue. Theres far too many men with bad form in the Navy gym, and I don't want to embarrass them.
  • 2BeFit4Jesus
    Options
    Just leave it be. I've had too many people approach me with "advice" in the past that was completely wrong. At this point, if someone randomly approached me in the gym, I wouldn't listen to them and I doubt they would listen to me either. I rather use the time for more reps.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Just leave it be. I've had too many people approach me with "advice" in the past that was completely wrong. At this point, if someone randomly approached me in the gym, I wouldn't listen to them and I doubt they would listen to me either. I rather use the time for more reps.

sometimes we have to ask....

what would Jesus do?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I train in a garage gym, we all know each other well and correct/encourage/belittle each other all the time.

One word of advice though, there is more to strength training than that captured in Starting Strength (there's a clue in the "starting" part). Make sure that the person actually has poor form before you correct them. They might actually know more than you and are doing something for a specific reason. I once had a guy come up to me in a hotel gym. I was doing goodmornings and he approached me with utter contempt in his eyes, "you don't squat like that, OMG you're going to break your back!". I explained, quite politely, that its a reasonably well known movement that anyone who has trained for more than 3 months....

I've also read many a derisive comment on MFP about things which are quite legitimate movements or variations on movements.
    From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong here) good mornings shouldn't be done period when you do them with a rounded back no matter what variant (are there any besides different barbells/weights?), also I've never followed Rippletoe's Starting Strength nor do I plan to, not sure if this comment was directed towards me (the OP) or just towards anyone in particular.
  • fearless_
    Options
    Look away from the mirror.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong here) good mornings shouldn't be done period when you do them with a rounded back no matter what variant (are there any besides different barbells/weights?), also I've never followed Rippletoe's Starting Strength nor do I plan to, not sure if this comment was directed towards me (the OP) or just towards anyone in particular.

I've never dared to do Goodmornings. I'm always afraid I will round my back, and screw something up. The squat racks at my gym are set up to where you can look straight forward, but not face sideways to check your form. I guess I could start out with the small barbells that people use for arm curls, but I like deadlifts, more, anyway. I may do them, someday, but I think I would wait until I could have someone watch me, correct my form, and give me advice.

To answer your question, If you absolutely know they will injure themselves without your intervention, You should probably try to correct them, or video it, so that you can post it on Youtube.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Nah, not directed at you at all, just a general comment to no one in particular...
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I never look at the people in the weightroom.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'll usually just observe and move on, although if it's someone I'm working out with, I'll be glad to help fix the matter. Luckily, I've only had to deal personally with minor issues, like calf synergy during shrugs and half-reps on certain things.

I've seen some crazy stuff, though.. people using their whole body so they can curl a 50lb dumbbell, leaning back almost completely horizontal when doing lat pulldowns and the like, people bending forward on chest fly station because of the weight being too much.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...What would you do if you saw terrible/potentially dangerous form in the gym?
    Laugh and point.

Humor aside, I make it a habit not to butt into other people's workout. I might know bad form when I see it, but I'm not a trainer - just another dude working out in the gym. Besides, there's that whole "testosterone" thing when one guy calls another guy out for something - rarely is it taken in the spirit in which it was intended.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    I live in China and see a lot of bad form in the gyms.... sometimes I even see bare feet or flip-flops ;))) I try to ignore and make sure I use proper form.:)

I lift in my socks (basically barefoot) @ my gym. Does this mean my form is bad?
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If someone saw me doing something with horrible form I would hope they would say something! Especially since I'm so new to lifting.
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Options
    My gym is very communal, so you give and get lots of pointers, and most people like / expect it. Usually if people are doing something wrong, they are feeling it and frustrated and they are happy to have someone show them the right way to do it. Conversely, a lot of people actively seek out advice, and I have gotten great tips this way. Just go over and smile and say, "oh, hey, you want to see something... you're really going to like doing it this way better..." If it's someone who isn't friendly, or doesn't like input, then just ignore it and focus on your own thing.
    Well usually if someone wants advice they come up and ask me, from my experience I've found that people who don't ask for advice tend not to receive it well and sometimes even lash out. Maybe my gym is just full of ****s lol

That is how the gym on base is here...if you say something, esp. to a local dude, you are liable to get in a scuffle. I just shake my head and do my thing. Bad form makes me cry inside...esp. when they are using way more weight than they should be!