Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't have a spotter so I just prefer to use the Smith machine... and yes, I know you can put stops on a regular squat rack. Just my personal preference.

Ditto!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My gym only has a smith machine, I still get a great squat workout with it and have no issues with it. Obviously you can stack more weight on the smith so it's not a true squat but it does it's job.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I don't want to wreck my knees.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    problems with my knee keeps me from squating

Agreed. I have dislocating kneecaps, so I have to be VERY careful of what I do. Even just using the legpress could be an iffy situation on whether or not a trip to the ER is in order. :(
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    couple thoughts of mine:

I always feel like I am the only one doing whatever I am doing at the gym, which is pretty darn awesome because then I am not really waiting for anyone/nobody is in my way

I just started lifting in March and I think the squat rack looks pretty intimidating. I have used the leg press and squatted with dumb bells a lot. I used the hack squat machine for the second time a few days ago and I got the soreness I wanted in my legs and my shoulders didn't hurt this time! So I guess after I try hack squats more, I can "graduate" to try the legit squat rack. Not everyone is on the same level, but that is fine :)
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Don't do them. Bad knees and a bad shoulder.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I do - front and back.

And actually most of the regulars at my gym do them every week; but then it's a bit of a hole and the only serious weight training gym for miles around.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    try 10 pistol squats then get back to me bro
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Two knee replacements and a broken leg!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I stand up. Hard to squat at a urinal.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same at my gym. People usually stare when I'm on squatting on the rack or deadlifting. Today was the first time ever that I've seen someone else other than myself or DH doing deadlifts.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your prolapsed rectum.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?

I squat in the woods when duty calls!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?

I squat in the woods when duty calls!

I read in a Mercola article that squatting is healthier than sitting on the sh!tter. Apparently it keeps red hooks out of your colon.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't want to wreck my knees.

Are your knees healthy? If so, you're not going to wreck them by squatting.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Previous neck injury, no spotter (but also no Smith machine, I do front squats or single leg squats with dumbbells).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do them @ home 2x a week
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I do, at least twice a week on strength days.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do them @ home 2x a week

Yup. Me too.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I gots a bad back so I only do, I guess "girly squats" with no weights. I'm trying to not get paralyzed at 26 :P