Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options
My fiance and I always argue about this. He always wears his one favorite ring to the gym, and he politely gets on my case because I don't wear my engagement ring there. I've explained to him that I just feel uncomfortable doing it because I don't want it to slide off or for too much weigh to be on it when I'm doing strength training, but he just laughs and says I'm weird. I always think to myself to glance around and see if anyone else is wearing rings, but it always slips my mind.

So what's your opinion? Men and women!

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If I were married or engaged, I don't think I'd feel comfortable taking the ring off in public period. I suppose if you're that nervous about something happening to it, keep it on a short chain around your neck so it doesn't get caught? Or even keep it in your bra, presuming it's a good fit.
  • EQV73
    EQV73 Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't wear mine either for similar reasons.
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    Sure do! Unless I am lifting heavy weights, then I wear gloves over it so it doesn't get scratched.
  • Xarina
    Xarina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My opinion is, it's just a ring. You shouldn't have to wear it if you don't want to. I don't wear mine all the time either, I don't see any issues with it.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I plan on probably removing my ring when I start lifting heavy, as it's pretty big and top-heavy. It pinches my hand when I tightly grip things, and I also don't want it sliding around.
  • RissaRoo007
    Options
    I'm not married/engaged, but I don't think it's a big deal if you don't wear it at the gym. Wear it before the gym, and after the gym, but I totally agree about worrying that it may fall off or get broken during a hard workout.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my diamonds at the gym. I do have a plain band that I wear instead. I'm paranoid about losing my rings.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Maybe you could buy a chain for it. That way it won't bother you on your finger, but you will still be "wearing" it. Might make your fiancee feel more comfortable??
  • sidhe31
    Options
    I didn't wear mine (when I was married) in the gym so I wouldn't damage it. Learned it the hard way after i bent the ring badly on a heavy deadlift.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do not wear mine at the gym, it tends to pinch when weight training and if running my fingers tend to swell a bit making it more difficult to get off. Just easier to not wear it.
  • Australia2013
    Options
    I don't wear mine if I plan on riding the bike or run because my hands start to feel tight after about 30 minutes of cardio, no matter how much water I've drank previously. The ring then just feels uncomfortable. It's not too tight normally, it just feels constrictive. I also don't wear it if I'm lap swimming because I don't want it to fall off in the water or lose a diamond in the water (It's happened before).
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I never take mine off. I have only been able to get it on my ring finger for the last 7 months. Before that it only fit my pinky. It is starting to get loose on my ring finger. With my lifting gloves it stays put just fine.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off for several reasons:

1. It's uncomfortable when I do strength training.
    2. Since I lost weight it sits quite loose and I'm scared to lose it when I run.
    3. I don't think the sweat is good for the medal, it will lead to discoloration.

But right now I never wear my ring cause I forgot it at my husbands grandma on Thanksgiving, have to wait till Christmas to get it back. I'm still married and don't need a ring to show that.
  • candy423
    candy423 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do... and it doesnt stop the men from flirting.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no way, the knurling on the barbell would mess it up.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I don't wear my wedding ring to the gym, as it hurts my finger when I lift weights.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing mine while weight-lifting because it was becoming dangerous and I was worried it would somehow facilitate me ripping that finger off.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Actually, for some time I have been unable to wear my ring due to weight gain. The one thing that has been interesting about this loss is that at 229 (down from 344), I wear the same size clothes I did at 170 (size 34 pants, large shirt)... I CAN wear medium shirts and in some styles size 32 pants... which were too small for me at 170 the last time I was at that size; however, my ring is still too small for my hand... even though I am down about 30 lbs from when I was married... Go figure. Well, I CAN wear it if I force it but it is very tight and uncomfortable... That being said, our marriage is strong enough that I am not about to forget my committment whether I wear the ring or not... My wife fusses when I TRY to wear it because she knows it is uncomfortable and don't want me hurting myself. It is really up to the individual relationship but to me, I have always taken it off (when I could wear it) when I was doing activities that made it uncomfortable to wear it... My wife does the same thing. That is us and we are both ok with that. That being said, it really is something that each individual couple has to come to terms with. Best wishes on your continued success.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Not when I am looking for a running partner.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine at all anymore, darn thing is way too big at the moment, need to get it resized.