Do you wear your wedding band/engagement ring at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    No, never. But we work out at the same gym and often together so ...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine b/c I don't want to knock it against something or scratch it.

I basically don't wear mine for the 4 S's...

sweating
    showering
    sleeping
    sexing
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not married or engaged, but I do take off my rings when I work-out/climb at the gym. And I doubt my boyfriend will say anything to me about that when we are engaged. I personally don't know how people workout with rings on, it kills my fingers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/307332-do-you-wear-you-wedding-ring-to-the-gym?hl=do+you+wear+you+wedding+ring

There were lots of other opinions on this if others wanted to see it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am afraid I'd lose it (same reason I don't wear it on mud runs).

I found a mans wedding band on the floor in the lifting area of the gym last month.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Never take it off..
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    I never take my wedding rings off.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    Maybe you could buy a chain for it. That way it won't bother you on your finger, but you will still be "wearing" it. Might make your fiancee feel more comfortable??

This is what my husband does. He gets awful callouses from lifting heavy weights with his ring on. It really doesn't bother me if he doesn't wear it. I mean if it takes a ring on his finger to keep him faithful then what hope do we have!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would get scratched by the barbell, but I worry about that. I don't wear mine because I don't want it to pinch my hand when I am grabbing something. (Mine wasn't sized exactly properly and it is a tiny bit large.) It never occurred to me that taking it off for an hour might be a big deal.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Never - one b/c it is too expensive and I would hate to knock a diamond off while weight lifting, two...rings do not work well while holding onto a weight bar, three...my fingers swell when I'm exercising (either cardio or weights)....I never do and my husband is used to it.

EDIT: I am on my 3rd one ...the first one I swear was a lemon; I lost a sapphire out of it 3x, a diamond twice; the whole setting broke off once...I'm very careful about "where" I wear them now. I've been married 23 years....believe me, no one is going to get the idea I'm available.
  • blamse
    blamse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't wear it but only because I don't want anything to happen to it. Nothing more, nothing less than that really.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do not wear mine at the gym, it tends to pinch when weight training and if running my fingers tend to swell a bit making it more difficult to get off. Just easier to not wear it.
    Me to.
    My husband doesn't wear his often because of the type of work he does (it's a hazard) and his fingers/hands also swell so it can be very uncomfortable. It's not a big deal IMO
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    No. I wear it to the gym, take it off, do my thing(s), and then put it back on before I leave. I just dont like the feel of it while I exercise. And I do not consider this an offense to my wonderful wife our our relationship. And at my stage in life (age, married, kids, difficult job, wife that works, aging parents, fiscal cliff, yada yada yada) I have zero room for health club shenanigans. I have enough problems as it is.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine when I work out...and a lot of my gym buddies don't either. In fact, today I forgot to take it off in the locker room and it bugged the crap out of me...ended up throwing them into the cup holder of the bike I was riding because my hands were swelling up and they felt tight.
  • XxxFallenAngelxxX
    Options
    If I was married or engaged, I would explain to my Husband that I love the ring very much and don't
    :flowerforyou: want it to get lost or ruined. If he still objects, Ill respect his opinion and wear it. Even though its not likely :)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my engagement ring when I am lifting weights (don't want to accidentally damage it), swimming (don't want to lose it), or showering (also don't want to lose it!).

Edit to say: not married yet, so it could be different once I have a wedding band!
  • feistymoon
    Options
    I don't wear my diamonds at the gym. I do have a plain band that I wear instead. I'm paranoid about losing my rings.

This is a nice idea. If you don't want your ring damaged, wear a substitute!
  • pmhandlo11
    pmhandlo11 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I NEVER take mine off.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    No...and I don't wear them when I workout at home either because working out usually makes my fingers swell temporarily and they get too tight. Is he concerned that you are suddenly going to forget you are married because you don't see a ring on your finger??? Silly boy!
  • Desired01
    Desired01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine because I don't want it to get scratched, lose a diamond, bend, etc..while I'm working out. Plus, depending on the intensity sometimes I find my hands swell a little and that just makes it more uncomfortable.