Is there a food you refuse to go without when dieting?

Options
1235»

Replies

• manohirarevolutions
    Options
    white rice. how can i live without eating rice?!
    am a Javanese, there's no way I could (read: would) to give up rice.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    not.a.thing. everything in moderation.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a pedant, so: "I'm not on a diet, I have a diet". The noun sounds less depriving than the verb.

Salted butter. Anyone who yells "SATURATED FAT! SODIUM!" at me is met with "vitamins A, E, K and some B vitamins, testosterone is good, hydration is good, and it's delicious and satiating."

ETA: Or I just say "meh"... Depends on whether I feel like I need to 'defend' my food because it can't defend itself.
  • kevinkalis
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I refuse to go without broccoli. It's up there with all my binge foods. I absolutely love it. I eat between 1kg - 1.5kg of the stuff a day.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm not ever gonna completely give up anything. Definitely in moderation, and I may need to adjust the rest of the day accordingly....

But if I tried to straight out give up things, I'd just fall right back onto the gaining train. Haha, I like this stuff too much :)
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Steak hands down ???? I like mines bloody ;) lol
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    cheese and pasta. I have switched to healthier pastas and try to eat mostly red sauces. I can not get rid of my pasta! Nom Nom Nom
  • suckerlove
    Options
    Cheese
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Starbuck's Mocha Frappuccino!!:drinker:
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had to give up DORITOS, it's one thing that isn't worth the calories. Nope, can't just have one.
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    while i agree with you all who say, its not a diet, its a lifestyle change, i do have one reservation for that, atleast for myself! i believe while attempting to lose mass amounts of weight, it is a much different type of "lifestyle", then just maintaining. while trying to lose, you take in less calories than those maintaining, therefore, needing to cut out some things that just dont have any room in a daily plan for someone trying to lose. for example, animal style fries from in n out (700+ cal)... i will not eat those when im still trying to lose, because by doing so, it takes away from not only my calories, but also my nutrient requirements. when i switch over to maintaining, yes, then there will be room for those in moderation. or, a macho bacon and egg burrito from del taco (1000+ cal)... this is one of my faves, but that leaves me with just a few hundred calories to work with for the entire day, and would be close to impossible to fit my nutrient requirements into that... i believe while losing, im on a diet, and im practicing or learning a healthier lifestyle... but i dont believe that its my new lifestyle, because only when im maintaining, will i consider it my "lifestyle", as i will not be eating at a deficit for the rest of my life... now, a cookie, or a beer, something small like that, i think those are definately easy to fit in, even daily, when in moderation...

Agreed, I think it was a given that some foods do have to go. But, if you're really craving it, you can always exercise to get those calories in. I used to LOVE going to Johnny Rockets for their shakes (800+ cals). Sadly, I haven't had once since....I think September? It's not that I've banned myself from it, I'm just too lazy to workout for an hour just for a milkshake.

When it comes to other things like cake, I still eat it-- just in moderation. 400 calories isn't gonna kill me :-)

EDIT: Also, if I know I'm going to have a big dessert (like at a Christmas party), I do my best to eat as light and healthy as I can during the day so I have plenty of leftover calories while still getting my necessary nutrients.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The only thing I gave up cold turkey was soda. Everything else I eat in moderation and get my exercise in.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Totally gotta have my CHEESE :)
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who still drinks soda? I only have it once a week or so...but I gotta have my soda!

I've tried those clear sparkling waters. Sometimes they'll do, but other times...well...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who still drinks soda? I only have it once a week or so...but I gotta have my soda!

I've tried those clear sparkling waters. Sometimes they'll do, but other times...well...

ive never been a soda drinker... even when i was at my highest weight... when i go out to eat, its mostly water, or sometimes beer... but never soda... never liked the carbination...
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I have a corona light with lime every now & then
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I used to lose weight by cutting out chocolate and cheese, but mfp gave me the tool to cut back on calories without needing to do that.

However...

What happened was, I pretty much prioritised the cr@p. I would eat less of the healthy food to fit in the nonsense AND the calories mfp recommended were far too low for me. I wasn't watching macros or nutrients and by the time I'd stopped losing I was anaemic.

Now I eat enough and whatever I like, though I do have to time foods around my iron tablets, as eggs, dairy and chocolate all interfere with iron absorption.

I agree with not giving up anything, but try to be a little cleverer than I was about it!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

If I want soda I drink it. I love water, but once in a while I crave soda too. It is rare usually, but I have a few days, sometimes, when I want lots of it.