What is the worst comment you ever got about your weight?

Options

Replies

• ajbemine4ever27
    ajbemine4ever27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    in my highschool days?? they used to call me pig. :angry:
  • Anmariee
    Anmariee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After having my 1st child the weight just lingered and with each pregnancy that battle reset it self.

1. The coment that got me was "If you would just push away from the table you'll lose weight" I was just dumbfounded and numb. What do you say to that?

2. Are when your eating and someone says that why you cant loose weight. Hey genuis I can't starve either. Sadly I use to think like that before I before I started dealing with my weightloss issues.

3. The king of them all is "Your 3 cheeseburgers away from popping out of you uniform" FYI the uniform was new. Can we say devastated.
  • JenDubble
    JenDubble Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was my heaviest (not counting pregnancy, that is) when I was 16-17. I didn't live with my parents anymore at that point but every time my mom would visit, she'd alternate between telling me "You have such a pretty face," and over-expressing her concern that I was going to end up with diabetes. She meant well, I'm quite sure, but it was very hurtful to hear over and over.

The worst I ever heard wasn't directed at me. A friend of mine (smaller than I am)'s husband told her she looked like a "stuffed sausage." That one still shocks me.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My mother was in town on my birthday a few years ago. We were coming home from dinner when her boyfriend calls her. Over the speaker phone he asks, " Is fat *kitten* with you?" She just looked at me uncomfortably as my eyes filled with tears, then turned away and laughed back into the phone, saying that yes we were together. The worst part is that I had planned to tell her I was pregnant with her first grandchild when we got back to my house. It still hurts that she let him disrespect me like that.

WOW.... just wow. I am so sorry, to you and every other person that has a mom that talks like this or allows it.:flowerforyou: I just can't believe what some family will say to the people they are supposed to love and support. Reading these stories make me so thankful for my own parents who have never said things like this.
  • Anmariee
    Anmariee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've learned that you have to 1st be comfortable with yourself and love yourself no matter what you look like. It took a while but I really love me inspite of how I look or what the scale says. People tend to treat us the way we feel and therefore we accept. NOT ANYMORE!!! By the way how is the little one.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Kind of OT, but after reading stories in this thread I actually felt compelled to tell my parents tonight how thankful I was that they never made hurtful comments about my weight or appearance when I was younger.

After I said that, my mom relayed a neat story to me. She said she was discussing the same thing with my dad the other day and he said something along the lines of "Why would I say something hurtful about your weight? I didn't marry your weight!" Go Dad!

There are men out there who won't be cruel about your body like some of the losers I have read about on this thread. Don't put up with it!

*steps off of soap box, goes back into shadowy cave*

Sounds like some pretty incredible parents!! I don't discuss it with my dad, as he personally thinks I'm too skinny anyways...."you'll blow away in the breeze" is what he says. My mom is always encouraging of everything I do!! I love it! I told her about me doing this when I started. (Much of my family is large...so I don't like to discuss it since I was only 137 pounds when I started). I just wanted to be a better me....for me. I didn't want the comments like "you're already skinny, you don't have anything to lose", etc. My mom was excited for me and totally understood. When I went home for Christmas to visit, she was trying to show me off with my 12 pound weight loss. She makes me smile big!
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    2 years ago when my then 7 year-old daughter got out of the school bus and said to me, feeling a bit embarrassed, "Mom, this kid in my bus said you have a big butt!". I had never really paid attention to what my butt looked like, until that day, and realized that it was not only embarrassing for me, but for my daughter also :-(
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    wow you would be soooo pretty if you lost some weight....ummm gee thanks...
    i hate it when people dont know anything about you and make ****ty comments...but ill prove them all wrong!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If you looked like "her" I wouldn't have had to cheat.

OMG~!! Seriously??? Good Lord~!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    This morning ... bumped into someone I hadn't seen for a few weeks.

She asked if I had lost weight - I warily said yes.

She laughs and said that it hadn't made me any prettier.

My not so witty response - "I haven't lost much" - not the best reply! x
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    This morning ... bumped into someone I hadn't seen for a few weeks.

She asked if I had lost weight - I warily said yes.

She laughs and said that it hadn't made me any prettier.

My not so witty response - "I haven't lost much" - not the best reply! x

horrible! dont let people like that break you! you are doing amazing. They say mean things like that because they aren't happy with themselves! keep up the good work!
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was about 6 months pregnant working as a waitress and I was squeezing through chairs to get back to the server station. I had to cut through the dining room because the other ways were blocked for what ever reasons. As I am squeezing through chairs that are just below my belly as I stand on my tippy toes I pass behind a woman. And no this was not a skinny woman. This was a heavy woman, and she was sitting with her heavy husband too, and as I squeeze by her she said to me " Maybe if you lost a little bit of weight you would be able to squeeze by" My head turned quickly and I gave her that evil look and said " I'm sorry I'm 6 months PREGNANT!!" And her mouth dropped and looked at me and started wishing that she could eat up the words she just uttered from her mouth she apologized and said she was kidding. It was my table I was supposed to take care of and I made someone else take them.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I was lying on a beach once in Furteventura and a marine biologist started to perform an autopsy on me,
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My OBGYN told me while I was pregnant, "Next time your sitting on the couch and want a pint of ice cream, maybe you should go workout instead." This because I had supposedly gained 4 lbs instead of the 2 lbs I was suppose to gain that month. I say supposedly because I later figured out that the tech had not zeroed the machine right so I had only gained the 2 lbs I was suppose to.
  • Lozx87
    Lozx87 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    when i was pregnant with my daughter i went to my gp to confirm the pregnancy he said to " are you sure you are pregnant" i said yes i have 8 test to prove it he turned around and said "they must be false positives as your to fat to be pregnant" lets just say i got let of with a caution i just saw red and everyone who knew said they didn't blame me.
  • jessihoover
    Options
    "everytime I look at you, you are putting food into your face"
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    You jiggle so much.. you are like a flapp old lady
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    I was lying on a beach once in Furteventura and a marine biologist started to perform an autopsy on me,

Right...
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am always being asked if I am pregnant. It is annoying. I have gotten used to it though.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant, but still...
    I was going to get some pizza, and the pizza guy asked me when I was due. I told him, and he asked if it was just one. I laughed, and said, "Yeah, just one,"
    He gave me a look of disgust and disbelief as he handed me my pizza and said, "Wow. You look like you're carrying twins."
    I should have thrown the pizza at his face, but I didn't think about it until later.
    I walked away, could hardly eat the stupid pizza and cried when I got home.

I relate to this. I came from a dysfunctional family with women who all had weight issues. Let's just say at 13 I started using dexatrim diet pills. So my self esteem was never very strong.
    But this post brought back a painful memory. I was pregnant with my first child. My mother in law sat me down and explained to me how important it was for me to lose weight. Men in her family did not like big women. I was nine months pregnant! She told me that if I didn't get myself in control I may end up like her neighbor who is overweight. Then she explained to me how my father in law would tell her when she was gaining too much weight, and she would become more conscientious of what she would eat. Now to put this in context, she smoked more than a pack a day and was afraid to quit because she may gain weight. She smoked after every meal. I'm sure that curbed her appetitive. So here I was hormonal, nine months pregnant, and being told my husbands family do not like big women. I just about fell apart. I never felt comfortable with them again. It's been 13 years and they still watch what's on my plate. Im sensitive to a comment here and there, they are passive aggressive people They are what I think of thin but unhealthy. None of them, including my husband has any muscle mass. What made it worse was that I gained 30lbs in a year and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and later with hashimotos disease. They, including my husband, don't understand the disease and think its an excuse to eat whatever I want, but it's e opposite. I eat less now than I ever did.
    Last year was a new year for me. A series of events caused me to regain my self esteem. Now with MFP I have a healthier lifestyle and what my in laws or my family feel towards me doesn't seem to matter anymore. This pisses a lot of the family off and they are less passive with their comments, but I still stay true to myself. I struggle with weight loss, always will. But I ran 3 5ks last year and am training for a half marathon. This boggles their mind. My own mother thinks it must be the pill I'm taking for my thyroid that has allowed me to lose 29lbs. I say no, I've been on the same dosage for five years, there is no magic pill. She doesn't believe it and wants to know my secret. My father in law gives me grief about how I'm going to hurt myself running (because I'm big), it's bad for my joints, and any more than one mile is too much. He lets me know his opinion every time he sees me, especially when others are present No mention of the weight I lost, but to be fair, I don't think it's obvious yet. Ive learned to start to let the comments go. Mostly because I've learned that people with low self esteem like to make themselves look better by putting others down and I'm an easy target.
    I believe to always be polite, remember the source, and just do what I need to do. I don't rely on support from anyone. I do my healthy lifestyle for my kids, but mostly for myself:flowerforyou: