The best type of cereal for weight loss

Options

Replies

• LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Kashi go lean - has fiber and a good bit of protein.

This one is good nutitionally but it tastes like poop.

Personally this is my favorite:

_DSC3275_large.jpg

You couldn't pay me to eat Lucky Charms, Coco-Puffs, or any of that other sugary crap.

Oatmeal crisp is SO delicious, but I wouldn't consider it any healthier than kids sugary cereals, except for the fact that the grains are slightly less processed (but none the less, still processed). It has 14g of sugar per cup. Lucky charms has 13g per cup. The oatmeal crisp also contains corn syrup and canola oil.. so while it seems healthier and the grains a little less refined, it still isn't that great nutritionally speaking. I was so sad when I learned this early in my weight loss journey. The vanilla almond one is my favorite! I think I would personally still eat it once in a while, but wouldn't consider it a healthy meal.
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    OMG! Lucky Charms are the best ever!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own granola - lots of oats, high fiber and I control the sweet and oil that goes in it. Recipes on the internet easy to find. Just remember servings are small, but they do stick with you especially when you mix it with yogurt. DH likes to mix shredded wheat (frosted) bites with wheat and oat check (to reduce to sugar and add oats which are so good for you.
  • matrixkingdom
    Options
  • matrixkingdom
    Options
    Here's the secret....you ready?!!!.....................................Stay in a calorie deficit and it doesn't matter what you eat! Boom! You all are welcome!

I disagree. You put petro-chemicals in your body and your immune system will shut down and make your body susceptible to cancer & other auto-immune diseases. We all need CLEAN ORGANIC FOOD. Proper live enzymes consumed & absorbed will kick-start the body's natural healing mechanisms and begin arresting and sometimes reversing heart problems, cancers & diabetes. It is no joke. Gerson Therapy has proven it & watch the movie's Hungry for Change & Food Matters.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cereal doesn't have staying power for me, I'm usually starving soon after eating. I'd look for something low in sugar, high in protein and fiber.

Me too besides oatmeal all the rest will garauntee that I'll be more hungry than if I hadn't eaten a thing, Do best w/ an egg or PB and a piece of frut.

If you are a cereal eater as everyone else has said try to aim for the one w/ the most fiber in it.

Oh and grits...MMMM the bomb w/ cheese butter onions salt and pepper
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I disagree. You put petro-chemicals in your body and your immune system will shut down and make your body susceptible to cancer & other autoo-immune diseases. We all need CLEAN ORGANIC FOOD. Proper live enzymes consumed & absorbed will kick-start the body's natural healing mechanisms and begin arresting and sometimes reversing heart problems, cancers & diabetes. It is no joke. Gerson Therapy has proven it & watch the movie's Hungry for Change & Food Matters.

Organic food should be dirty by definition, not clean.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    The best cereal for weight loss is going to be whatever you don't overeat. This kind of choice is negligible. It doesn't matter what kind of cereal you eat... so pick the one that tastes best to you, or the one that has the most acceptable ingredient for you. And then monitor the amount/calories.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Here's the secret....you ready?!!!.....................................Stay in a calorie deficit and it doesn't matter what you eat! Boom! You all are welcome!

I disagree. You put petro-chemicals in your body and your immune system will shut down and make your body susceptible to cancer & other autoo-immune diseases. We all need CLEAN ORGANIC FOOD. Proper live enzymes consumed & absorbed will kick-start the body's natural healing mechanisms and begin arresting and sometimes reversing heart problems, cancers & diabetes. It is no joke. Gerson Therapy has proven it & watch the movie's Hungry for Change & Food Matters.

Bleh!!!
    My responce was in reference to weight loss, not to the over-all quailty of the food! Thanks for your input, though!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I start my day really early - 6 a.m. So I need something lasting. I have oatmeal, cinnamon, 3 tbs hemp hearts (good energy booster), 1 tbs ground flax seed, 1 cup berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberrys, or blackberries). I can actually make it until noon. Yup - 480 calories - but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My other 2 meals are no more than 500 calories each. :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Awkward....after seeing the direction this thread is going in, I'd like to stick with the flow and change my above answer to this..

Don't eat cereal EVER. If someone you know is eating cereal......punch them in the throat! A better breakfast alternative is to sit in the middle of your kitchen floor, sipping raw eggs out of the shells while reading Wheat Belly and quietly weeping. Enjoy!

Bwhahahah this is a gem of a post. I hope those eggs were organic covered in chicken poop too.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like generic bran cereal the best...
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

100% agree with you. Food DOES matter. Our bodies know what to do natural, whole foods and will use 1600 calories worth of fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, oats, brown rice, quinoa, and lean protein MUCH more efficiently than processed crap full of sugar, fat, chemicals, cholesterol, etc.. It's not just about calories, but about the nutritional quality of the food, micro nutrient density, and our satiation mechanism. Processed food is also addictive. It promotes disease and cancer cell growth. Micro nutrient dense foods have the opposite effect. It's all relevant to weight loss. Take care of the inside, and weight loss will happen. Besides, don't people want to feel as amazing as possible, decrease risk of disease, and lose weight all at the same time?
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

Organic food should be dirty by definition, not clean.

LOL.. clean, as in "not sprayed with chemicals" not in the literal sense. Organic cereal does not come with dirt in it, or does it.? :P
  • matrixkingdom
    Options

100% agree with you. Food DOES matter. Our bodies know what to do natural, whole foods and will use 1600 calories worth of fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, oats, brown rice, quinoa, and lean protein MUCH more efficiently than processed crap full of sugar, fat, chemicals, cholesterol, etc.. It's not just about calories, but about the nutritional quality of the food, micro nutrient density, and our satiation mechanism. Processed food is also addictive. It promotes disease and cancer cell growth. Micro nutrient dense foods have the opposite effect. It's all relevant to weight loss. Take care of the inside, and weight loss will happen. Besides, don't people want to feel as amazing as possible, decrease risk of disease, and lose weight all at the same time?

Very Well Put :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Which ever ones fit best in your macros with all the other food you eat throughout the day.

QFT
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I'd venture to say that cereal is not really a completely wise choice for regular consumption unless it's enriched with protein, in which case it will likely taste like poo. (all the ones I've tried have) As a breakfast food, you'd do yourself a favor to have a bowl of old fashioned oats or a couple eggs. Protein. :)
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think no cereal. Lower carbs = lower calories. Spend your calories on protein and veggies instead of carbs which have way less nutritional value.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    THIS!
    If you are really serious about your nutrution, you should not eat cereal. If you read the labels, even the "healthy" cereal have too many sugars and carbs. You should eat oatmeal instead, unless you are on low carb diet