Fake Activity Calories?

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Those are the people you see next week posting about the plateau they're on or whining that no matter what they try they can't lose weight. It's the endless hunt of the overeater to justify their eating habits. IMHO, you lose weight by getting your mind in the right place first where eating, worrying about what to eat next and figuring out how to get more to eat aren't on your mind constantly. Once you can view food as fuel instead of a reward for cleaning the rug or a comfort when something is bothering you then you can start to have a healthy relationship with food.
  • 0palfire
    Options
    I only add cleaning when it's full on hoovering/scrubbing that gets me sweating, 'cause that's a good workout!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    if they log sewing or knitting etc.. it's only hurting themselves
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Not enough to log. Might as well log breathing and rack up squats every time you go to the bathroom.

Hey, some places in Japan they have to squat over a hole. That's a traditional toilet they still use. I imagine if they have some gastro-intestinal issues and spend five minutes squatting over that hole, they'd burn quite a few calories! That might be worth logging!
  • wendylou224
    wendylou224 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yea,I see the "food Preparation" as exercise on here and I'm just thinking WTH? But,to each his own...If it works for them,then cool.

Funny they have that as an option to log, but not sex...LOL I hate cooking, but love sex. Pretty sure most everyone burns more calories in the bedroom than in the kitchen (unless you're a real freak and get it on in the kitchen too!) :D

I like how you think. I do have friends that log those calories. I haven't yet, but if I am over my calories i just secretly smile to myself since i know that i probably have calories to spare
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

When I log wrestling it's sex

What was the question?

LOL!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I enjoy not caring what other people do. It makes me feel free.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Yea,I see the "food Preparation" as exercise on here and I'm just thinking WTH? But,to each his own...If it works for them,then cool.

Some food prep is hard work. Baking bread for instance. The kneading process makes me break a sweat every time!

So it's like a warm up then?
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

b7l6ko.gif
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you don't break into a sweat when cleaning then you're not doing it right. I log cleaning because I'm genuinely exhausted after cleaning my house but I do live with 5 slobs. My doctor said that anything that gets me out of breath counts as good exercise.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories are burned by worrying about what other people are doing?

Lol. This
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If it is out of your ordinary schedule, then I'd say yes. But if you pick up your house everyday, like clock work. No... Also it depends on how you've set your activity level. If you have it set at very active, then you absolutely would not log things like that. If you have it set for sedentary, and then you go help your grandma clean her house out, then yes. sure..
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How do I track calories burned from reading this?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning, but subtract quite a few calories from the number MFP gives.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Gawd I've seen some different things logged as exercise activities. All of which are an attempt to make themselves feel good and give them an excuse to eat more calories. Washing, ironing, cleaning, sewing etc are normal everyday activities and should not be counted as exercise. They can be added as part of your activity level but not exercise. The only person these people are hurting is themselves they are setting themselves up for failure.
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I tried to log 'giving a f ck' but it was only zero calories.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    it is my opinion that you should only include calories when you are doing a concerted effort of burning calories through exercise. all the other stuff is just "normal every day activity" and counting those will only end up disappointing you in the end.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fake activities? Are you saying that knitting, cleaning, shopping, and food preparation are not real?

Actually I beg to differ about shopping...spend an afternoon on your feet nonstop walking, trying on clothes, etc...I count it! I just log it as leisurely walking, but it's calories burned that wouldn't have been if I was at home doing what I normally do, sitting on the computer...

For the record, there are people on these forums who think logging shopping as an exercise is fake too.

Glass houses and all that.
  • Barbarajavon
    Options
    The only thing I log is my cardio - I never log weight lifting or anything like that just because it takes too long. Sometimes I don't even log my exercise because I never eat my calories back anyway.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit, and while I don't log as exercise anything besides an actual workout, it does count some things that I wouldn't. MFP sets my calories to maintain at 1710 even at very active. BMF says I burn more than that on a day that I do absolutely nothing, which I consider sedentary. Thus, BMF will adjust my MFP calories up to the level it calculates I burned that day, and it logs it on the exercise screen, but I don't consider that exercise. I do eat those calories back, tho.

That said, I have been gaining for the last week--not sure if it's getting back to work and my regular workout schedule or if BMF is calculating too high--so I may disconnect the accounts in a week or so if the trend up continues.