Obesity and Welfare

Options

Replies

• 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/08/obese-londoners-could-lose-welfare-benefits-if-they-dont-exercise/

Saw this story about Londoners, and got me thinking about Americans. Does anyone think that if you are getting government welfare, you should be at risk for losing welfare benefits if you are morbidly obese?

Also, should any foods be ineligible for purchase when on food stamps?

I personally believe the government shouldn't be involved in food stamps, but since we are, sweets and "junk food" should not be allowed for purchase. I would propose only items that represent a substantial nutrient intake in the food chart (lean meats, whole grains {Exception if person has allergies}, milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits, veggies, beans, etc.)

What do you all think? I want to hear everyone's viewpoint on this.

NOTE: Everyone may not have the same opinion, but please do not denigrate a person for their views. Also, if you wish to discuss this, but are shy to share your view, a PM is always welcome.

I tend to agree. if the gov't is giving it (well actually us taxpayers are), then the gov't should not allow them to be used for junk. if a family is struggling to maintain nutrition, candy wont help any... whole grains and veggies, etc will
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be more education. I think there should be required education for welfare and food stamps. It should not be a lifestyle, it should be a temporary help for a bad situation. The only way to better the situation is through education. I would rather my tax dollars go to improving the situations of people that are in the system than to just providing a "hand out". Teach money management, teach life skills, teach health and fitness, help them help themselves get out of the system.
    Not willing to learn these things then you shouldn't be handed any assistance. There are always circumstances for why people can't do this but there is a huge difference between can't and won't. A good example is... my employer expects me to do my job in order to pay me. I don't do my job... I don't get paid. I have to get a new job and I have to agree to be tested for drugs in order to be hired.

Fun fact: Most states welfare programs require the recipient to be actively seeking work and some already offer job skills classes.

offering job skills classes and making them mandatory are two different things. Withholding benefits until these classes are completed is what I was saying. There are a good number of people that welfare and food stamps are a way of life and what they think they are "entitled" to. That is the cycle that needs to be broken. Teaching people and giving them the tools to improve their own lives. There will always be people that abuse the system.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I have NEVER heard of people on welfare buying GUNS. Must be the new rumor going around...amusing though.

It's just as stupid as thinking they are all buying drugs. Guns and drugs are expensive. Welfare is pennies.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think food stamps should be structured exactly like the WIC program. You can only buy what's on the approved list. It might be good incentive for people to get their own money so they can buy what they want. Win-win.

yep! very smart assertion
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think ugly people should wear bags over their heads. I mean...they take up MY air! How dare they?! Plus they hurt my eyes.

...........yeah...ridiculous huh?
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be more education. I think there should be required education for welfare and food stamps. It should not be a lifestyle, it should be a temporary help for a bad situation. The only way to better the situation is through education. I would rather my tax dollars go to improving the situations of people that are in the system than to just providing a "hand out". Teach money management, teach life skills, teach health and fitness, help them help themselves get out of the system.
    Not willing to learn these things then you shouldn't be handed any assistance. There are always circumstances for why people can't do this but there is a huge difference between can't and won't. A good example is... my employer expects me to do my job in order to pay me. I don't do my job... I don't get paid. I have to get a new job and I have to agree to be tested for drugs in order to be hired.

Fun fact: Most states welfare programs require the recipient to be actively seeking work and some already offer job skills classes.

offering job skills classes and making them mandatory are two different things. Withholding benefits until these classes are completed is what I was saying. There are a good number of people that welfare and food stamps are a way of life and what they think they are "entitled" to. That is the cycle that needs to be broken. Teaching people and giving them the tools to improve their own lives. There will always be people that abuse the system.

For cash assistance, it is mandatory to attend classes weekly. Workshops... training, a bunch of stuff.
  • eidnahenri2
    Options
    I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.
    I disagree with this. Where I live I can buy milk for $1-$1.39 per half gallon at Kwik Trip which saves me considerably each month since its pretty much double that in a grocery store.
    Kwik Trip here, too. And potatoes, onions, bananas each for $.39/lb, real butter for under $2/lb, and other great bargains (eggs, bread, etc) vs double or nearly triple that in any supermarket in the area.

Also, Kwik Trip is two blocks away and the nearest grocery store is more than two miles away. This might not be a big deal to some people, but try walking two miles in a Wisconsin winter with hands full of grocery bags. As a mobility limited person who walks with a cane myself, this would be nearly impossible, and even if I could manage a walk that long, possibly on icy sidewalks, where there even are any sidewalks, I'd have to carry everything in one hand. Many of the people receiving food stamps here are even less able than I am to do that. Public transportation is all but non-existent within that same two miles, and cab fare is prohibitively expensive.

It's easy to judge others until we have to walk a mile or two in their shoes.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think they should make the price of healthier foods more affordable. Its far cheaper to eat sausages, potatoes, eggs, fried foods etc than premium mince, veges fruit etc.

And THIS is the root of the problem. Lobbyist (I'm certain) will keep anything from changing.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

I personally believe the government shouldn't be involved in food stamps, but since we are, sweets and "junk food" should not be allowed for purchase. I would propose only items that represent a substantial nutrient intake in the food chart (lean meats, whole grains {Exception if person has allergies}, milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits, veggies, beans, etc.)

This has been my position since 16yrs when I was a cashier at a grocery store. It would piss me off so badly to see someone come through my line and hand me food stamps (this was before EBT cards) and purchase virtually nothing but processed meals, junk food and soda. I know they're "food" stamps, but I really would prefer if, instead of chips, candy and soda, they were able to purchase other non-edible necessities, like toiletries and the like.

(edited for spelling)
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i was just in the store this past weekend when a woman was told her wic didnt cover her red potatos.... She told the clerk she couldnt afford them. She then paid with her ebt. She then pulled out cash to pay for her 3 bottles of wine..... This is why my view on "assistance" is skewed.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ha me and my fiance were talkin about what should be allowd for purchase on food stamps. We talk all the time why Americans are obese is because they can buy cakes cookies and candy on food stamps. I used to be a cashier and there would be families buying meal food such as meet sides and canned veggies but 85 percent of them would have massive amounts of chips cookies, icecream, and all kinds of junk food in thier buggies. But I do live in the South and I am not typically saying everyone on food stamp benifits does this. I am saying that sweets should be limited as well. I don't have an issue with families being on these assistance programs and I understand that people need help at times to be on these programs. Down in the south you have families on food stamps but driving these nice vehicles with big expensive rims, thats what I have issues with. People like that who can obviously afford nice things abusing the system.
  • SECOLE22
    Options
    I'm not sure about all food stamp programs in the U.S. but in Washington DC with SNAP there is already regulation in place to encourage families to buy healthy:

What do you get with Food Stamps
    December 12, 2012
    In the United States, US citizens and legal non-citizens have the option of applying for food stamps. Food stamps have changed their name to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and offer a set amount of money to spend each month on groceries for your family. It is a federal program set to help low income families get healthy food when they can't afford them any other way. To get the benefits, you will need to meet certain eligibility requirements such as being at a certain income level based on how many people live in your home, be disabled or unable to work in some cases, be a US citizen or legal non-citizen, and other requirements. The following goes over what you can do with your benefits, what you get, and how to obtain them.

What you can Buy
    When you receive SNAP benefits, there will be a dollar amount put onto an EBT card. While it is free to use as you choose, there are only certain items that you will be allowed to use it for. If you attempt to purchase something not allowed, the transaction will be denied and you will need to use other means of paying for said items. However, you are free to use the benefits for bread, cereal, milk, cheese, fruits, vegetables, all meats including fish and poultry, and additional dairy products like yogurt and butter. You may also purchase fruit, vegetable or herb seeds to plant produce for your family.

What you cannot Buy
    There are also items you are not eligible for purchasing with the EBT card. This is mainly because the food stamps SNAP program is intended to feel your family healthy and nutritious foods. They aren't meant to purchase these items. Items you can't use SNAP benefits for are cigarettes or tobacco, beer, wine, liquor, vitamins, medications, hot foods, and non-food items like toiletries, cosmetics, diapers, household supplies, cleaning products, pet food and treats, and similar items.

http://www.foodstamps.org/articles/what-do-you-get-with-food-stamps
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Does anyone think that if you are getting government welfare, you should be at risk for losing welfare benefits if you are morbidly obese?

Not necessarily. There are alot of people who are on government welfare because of legitimate health issues/disabilites and are obese for the same reasons. If you're going to do that, you would also have to address those who are SSA "Disability" recipients, but are known to be non-compliant with their meds. That's just too big a can of worms to open and deal with.
    Also, should any foods be ineligible for purchase when on food stamps?

I do agree with this. My aunt works at a convenience store and she said she sees people waste food stamp money all the time on things like candy, chips, and Red Bull. Then those same people come in a few days later and complain about not having money to buy groceries to feed their kids. REALLY?!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I think ugly people should wear bags over their heads. I mean...they take up MY air! How dare they?! Plus they hurt my eyes.

...........yeah...ridiculous huh?

Sorry...:sad:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ha me and my fiance were talkin about what should be allowd for purchase on food stamps. We talk all the time why Americans are obese is because they can buy cakes cookies and candy on food stamps. I used to be a cashier and there would be families buying meal food such as meet sides and canned veggies but 85 percent of them would have massive amounts of chips cookies, icecream, and all kinds of junk food in thier buggies. But I do live in the South and I am not typically saying everyone on food stamp benifits does this. I am saying that sweets should be limited as well. I don't have an issue with families being on these assistance programs and I understand that people need help at times to be on these programs. Down in the south you have families on food stamps but driving these nice vehicles with big expensive rims, thats what I have issues with. People like that who can obviously afford nice things abusing the system.

They can afford those "nice things" precisely BECAUSE many of them are abusing the system.
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i was just in the store this past weekend when a woman was told her wic didnt cover her red potatos.... She told the clerk she couldnt afford them. She then paid with her ebt. She then pulled out cash to pay for her 3 bottles of wine..... This is why my view on "assistance" is skewed.
    Maybe someone gave her money to buy them the wine... idk just playing devil's advocate....
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't even like the idea of foodstamps. i like our welfare system in Canada where you get your cheque and make your own spending decisions. No embarrassment of stamps and it avoids the judgmental *kitten* from knowing that you are shopping with government assistance. Overall when people make their own decisions based on their preferences we are more productive.
    So no way to limiting what foods people can buy with food stamps. Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and from Americans on assistance who I have conversed with online, they don't get that. :(

^ This.

Also, I think I may love you.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree completely people abuse it. I know people that do! But I hate being lumped into those assclowns that do abuse it. It's not fair. My husband and I are hard-working and something horrible happened to us and we need help. THAT'S what the assistance is there for.

Oh and being called lazy for receiving some help... Yeah that's awesome.

One person sees what someone can get and they feel they are entitled to it also, whether they need it or not. My sister abuses the childcare system because she can although she complains to me how she has too much money and is getting charged. People in Canada that ar 1/8 native can get free education because, although they probably can't name the person, someone in their blood line was native.
    Point is: people abuse the system and there is nothing anyone can do about it
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.
    I disagree with this. Where I live I can buy milk for $1-$1.39 per half gallon at Kwik Trip which saves me considerably each month since its pretty much double that in a grocery store.

It's easy to judge others until we have to walk a mile or two in their shoes.

^Yes. There are some people who abuse the system, but a lot of hard working individuals are criminalized for receiving assistance. Let's kick people when they're down basically.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

They can afford those "nice things" precisely BECAUSE many of them are abusing the system.
    [/quote
    Your right, where we live, they buy these items because they sell drugs on the side.
This discussion has been closed.