Replies

• serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lifting = swelling = not fat = know wtf your body does

I do thanks.
  • claytonmac
    Options
    ignore the haters, if you have acheived your goal good for you! i have also been blessed with large thighs & calves. part of my goal is to have them smaller. i am not a fan of the super muscular legs on women, probably because i have always had large legs. its all about personal preference. i want pretty legs, not super skinny where your thighs dont touch up top. i meet with a new trainer tonight so i'll see what they say for me to do.:smile:
  • serapi
    Options
    I found out the key for myself to get the nice muscular lean legs that I've always wanted. I am a mesomorph and I develop leg muscles very quickly, but my upper body is very weak.

I learned to do absolutely no leg exercises and now my legs look awesome. My legs always looked fat to me. I tried the lunges, squats, etc. and my legs would just look fatter. A personal trainer told me to stop and just get my leg workouts from jogging, elliptical, etc. I did it and now my thighs are 20 inches and I can fit into my jeans. I love it!

Just throwing this out there for women who have genetically enhanced legs.

I'd like to know what your legs were before you stopped working them out. Because mine are 21 and I don't think mine are big at all. And I'm 5'1'' I LOVE my big thighs/@ss, and so do a LOT of other people :wink:

I lost 2 inches from my thighs in the last 4 months.

Good for you for enjoying your body! I think it's great!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    thanks for your posting. Makes sense, and I will consider your advice when exercising.

Hopefully not the OP's advice as it is terrible advice.

See? This is why we argue with posts like this. We don't won't people taking bad advice. OP can do what she wants but we hope to prevent misinformation from spreading.
  • minkyrunner
    minkyrunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The happiest I ever was with my thighs (and abs!) was when I was taking 2-4 dance classes and doing pilates 2-3x/wk (it also helped that I was an undergrad, so lots of time). It's my goal to get back into more pilates and dance-based classes, but the low/no weight and high-repitition that gives you definition and strength without the bulk does take a bigger time commitment that sets of squats/lunges usually do.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    I'm blessed with naturally large thighs...if that's how you're calling it. I was 220# not long ago...my thighs were *really* large then. Amazing how when you take off some body fat they just kinda start to slim out. Slowly...slowly.
    I'm the proud owner of 23" thighs right now...just this week I squatted 175-185#...and some random guy at the gym told my husband he was gonna hit on me (he didn't know I was married) and started to describe how "nice" he thought my legs were (in great detail). Total NSV, for sure. At any rate - I don't do cardio. I keep my legs nice and eh hem, "big" by squatting, deadlifting, doing weighted lunges...you know...all that weight lifting crap. And if they get bigger - so be it...but I'm pretty sure they aren't going to get much bigger, it's just a matter of fat coming off before I can have Erin Stern's or Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet's awesome legs.
    IMG_3696.jpg

You were 220 lbs? WOW you look great! Are you following a specific weight lifting program like Jamie Eason's Live Fit or you just doing your own thing? I'd love to squat what you are squating. I hate not having a lifting partner at the gym when I want to go up in weight but not sure if I need a spot.

Oh and that's a great NSV. What was your husbands reaction to that guy telling him how great you looked?

Thank you! Yeah, 220 lbs and well over 40% bodyfat. :( Am sitting around 155-158# these days and who knows what my bf is since nothing is accurate. Anyway....I started getting introduced to heavy lifting with NROL4W. I went through stage 5 and abandoned ship because I started to not enjoy my workouts. Then on advice of a friend I began Starting Strength (just 3x5 of squats, bench, OHP, rows, and deads) and eventually added on some accessory work (lat pull-downs, glute bridges/thrusters). THEN...I was getting frustrated because I had hit some walls in my lifts...and I wanted to change things up. In November, I joined a local pseudo-Crossfit style gym (it's not Crossfit) and began doing the workouts the coach posted (a varied mix of powerlifting and oly lifts with a lot of push/pull bodyweight strength moves thrown in for good measure). I log my workouts at fitocracy.com if you wanna check 'em out. My handle is mfkn_titanium there. Before this gym though I worked out at home. We bought a power cage/rack with lat pull-down attachment, bench, and oly barbell & plates. Power racks are great because they have the safety bars so you can confidently squat and bench without needing another person there to help if you fail.

As for how my husband reacted - he said he had a proud moment. It was the first thing he told me when he got home after so I'm sure he had been thinking about it his whole workout. He's not a jealous guy so it didn't bother him. :D
  • serapi
    Options
    ignore the haters, if you have acheived your goal good for you! i have also been blessed with large thighs & calves. part of my goal is to have them smaller. i am not a fan of the super muscular legs on women, probably because i have always had large legs. its all about personal preference. i want pretty legs, not super skinny where your thighs dont touch up top. i meet with a new trainer tonight so i'll see what they say for me to do.:smile:

Despite the haters, I'm glad to be helping other women with my experience. I hope that I've let women know it's ok to not want really muscular legs. Some women want nicely toned legs that look long and lean. Other women want strong looking legs and that's sexy too.

It's personal preference.
  • serapi
    Options
    thanks for your posting. Makes sense, and I will consider your advice when exercising.

See? This is why we argue with posts like this. We don't won't people taking bad advice. OP can do what she wants but we hope to prevent misinformation from spreading.

I am living proof. I have sexy long lean legs. You guys are not proving anything.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This is so funny. I just posted a NSV about my stronger thighs. They've gotten way more toned and I love the way they look in my yoga pants. I thought this post would be about toning them. It just shows how different people's goals are. I'm glad you got your thighs to look the way you want!
  • 16Momma16
    16Momma16 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OP , I am glad that you are happy with your body. There are too many women who have a poor body image and it is refreshing to see a woman who does not. You will find that the public forums have a lot of people who say they are trying to help. Some of their advice is actually good but it is the rude condescending way it is presented that makes all that they have to say useless! It is because they believe offending will open someones eyes. I hope you won't let this experience turn you off of mfp. As long as you are healthy and happy good for you!
  • serapi
    Options

My advice is great advice as is the heavy lifting group. It's up to your personal goals.

stop the hate and just admit that long distance runners can have nice muscular legs too without the lunges, deadlifts and squats. I am living proof.

I do elliptical 4 times a week for 40 minutes and have great legs as a result.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I do squats, deadlifts, weighted lunges of all varieties. 32Fx24x37 with 21.5" thighs which I think looks just fine and not "thick" or "disproportionate". I'm hoping to lose a tad more fat in the area, which I plan on accomplishing by a caloric deficit WITH weights to make sure I keep my sexy thigh muscles and lose only fat :-)

557336_724794544231_971840877_n.jpg
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I am living proof. I have sexy long lean legs. You guys are not proving anything.

Right now you are words on a screen. That doesn't prove anything.

Telling women to neglect half of their muscles is bad advice.
  • serapi
    Options
    This is so funny. I just posted a NSV about my stronger thighs. They've gotten way more toned and I love the way they look in my yoga pants. I thought this post would be about toning them. It just shows how different people's goals are. I'm glad you got your thighs to look the way you want!

Thank you! I have received a lot of hate and I don't care b/c some women will read this and have an "aha" moment. I am here letting women know it's ok.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

My advice is great advice as is the heavy lifting group. It's up to your personal goals.

stop the hate and just admit that long distance runners can have nice muscular legs too without the lunges, deadlifts and squats. I am living proof.

No offense---I totally understand and respect your choice to not post pictures of yourself--but you are not "living proof" of anything. You could be a 500 pound man for all we know.
  • serapi
    Options

Right now you are words on a screen. That doesn't prove anything.

Telling women to neglect half of their muscles is bad advice.

hmmm ok....

I train elliptical 4 times a week for 40 minutes and have great legs.
  • serapi
    Options

No offense---I totally understand and respect your choice to not post pictures of yourself--but you are not "living proof" of anything. You could be a 500 pound man for all we know.

Yes, I could, but I'm not. I am a middle aged mom of 2.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP , I am glad that you are happy with your body. There are too many women who have a poor body image and it is refreshing to see a woman who does not. You will find that the public forums have a lot of people who say they are trying to help. Some of their advice is actually good but it is the rude condescending way it is presented that makes all that they have to say useless! It is because they believe offending will open someones eyes. I hope you won't let this experience turn you off of mfp. As long as you are healthy and happy good for you!

Did you read the threads? If we are haters for putting our opinions out there, then what is the OP for calling all of us catty itches?
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't think there was anything wrong with OP's statements. For those of you who think she is steering unsuspecting newbies the wrong way, I don't think she has that much power. For anyone who commits to losing weight and improving fitness, it's going to take considerable time and effort. There will be plenty of opportunity to read about the benefits of heavy lifting for women - to offset this thread topic. Unfortunately, disagreements easily become heated and it makes the participants look sillier than they actually are. The details for one person don't really matter that much. OP sounds as if she's worked hard and is in great shape, as a bunch of you heavy lifting women are! I celebrate all of your successes. Be proud of each other; this is hard work!