Replies

• 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just count plain water, not even unsweetened tea, but thats just me :D
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you know... looking at all these answers... and comparing them to the tickers....

people who drink lots of plain pure water every day are statistically, in my humble meaningless opinion.... jaw droppingly hot.

Yeah, but there also seems to be a confounding factor of "propensity to be more judgmental and self-righteous" in the data for those same posters that is making it difficult for me to isolate just the pure water drinking part.

But maybe you're right. Maybe it's just the water thing.

all humans are judgmental and self-righteous when they are learning to be themselves. Its like when a 2 year old learns what sharing means, and wont do it.
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    28423-Social-Bacon.jpg
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Water is water. Maybe coffee can be water too. But anything else is something you'll be logging in your calorie count. I guess if its Crystal Lite and has 0 calories you can log it as water. I wouldn't log soda as water though... even if it is diet soda.
    I mostly drink only water or coffee in a day and I don't log it, and if I drank a glass of milk or juice I would log it in my calories.
    I would think the whole point of logging your water is to make sure you are drinking more WATER as opposed to unhealthy sugary drinks.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Just drink WATER! Why is this concept so hard for people to grasp? Why do people feel the need to drink FLAVORED things? :grumble:

Because I'm privileged enough to be able to buy flavored drinks with minimal calories, which I much prefer to the taste of water.

I hope that isn't a difficult concept for you to understand..
  • yoovie
    Options
    Personally I think just water, when i just drink caffeinated drinks i feel light headed and dehydrated.

What you 'feel' isn't right. We KNOW that drinking caffeinated drinks doesn't make you dehydrated.

yah, cause its impossible to feel dehydrated even when you arent.

just like its impossible to feel skinny unless you lost more weight.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    No drinks count, not even water! You'll just pee it out so it doesn't even do anything!

Most drinks count. You're getting water from everything you eat too, so you're not going to dehydrate... Just don't count alcohol?
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    To all the people that say drinking coffee, fizzy drinks, juice and the ilk doesn't contribute to hydration levels think about it this way.
    If I drank a cup of warm water then after that I ate some coffee beans..are you telling me that the water I drank before is cancelled out? The body is going to processes a cup of coffee in the same way.
  • lucasriggs
    Options

yah, cause its impossible to feel dehydrated even when you arent.

just like its impossible to feel skinny unless you lost more weight.

I didn't say anything to go against that..
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To all the people that say drinking coffee, fizzy drinks, juice and the ilk doesn't contribute to hydration levels think about it this way.
    If I drank a cup of warm water then after that I ate some coffee beans..are you telling me that the water I drank before is cancelled out? The body is going to processes a cup of coffee in the same way.

I can't speak for others - but for the record, this: "drinking coffee, fizzy drinks, juice and the ilk doesn't contribute to hydration levels" is not my premise. Not that you said it was - but just to clarify myself.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    diuretic (adjective) di . u. ret . ic - increasing the volume of the urine excreted

Guess what happens if I drink 20oz of water...
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    diuretic (adjective) di . u. ret . ic - increasing the volume of the urine excreted

Guess what happens if I drink 20oz of water...

Yes, but there is a specific medical definition:
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/diuretic

That has a subtle, important difference than a dictionary definition. Not just increasing the volume of urine, per se, but increasing the "rate" of expulsion, given a volume of water intake.

Or there isn't. It's cool. We're all staying fit and happy and that's all that matters. Sorry to have split hairs earlier.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What I do is I put anything that has nutritional factors that MFP tracks (calories, carbs, sodium, vitamins, ect.) in my food section to make sure I track that stuff. Anything with out that stuff (such as unsweetened tea or herbal teas) I count as water.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. So if I drink water at the same time that I eat water soluble food, does that make this water less...uh...qualified as water than if I drink the water when not eating food? If so, how much time should I wait after drinking water before I eat food in order to not diminish the effectiveness of the water?

Let me clear this up for you: Basically if you drink your water while you are eating your salad, you have to log it as soup.

If your salad is then followed by meat of any kind, you must go back in and log it as stew.

No water for you!

First time I laughed out loud while reading this thread. Thank you!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I'm letting myself get sucked into this thread! Argh!!

Water is water. If you're counting water, count the water. If you're counting drinks, then count your coffee, tea, juice, pop, grease... or whatever else you want to call your "drinks/liquids/whatever".
  • yoovie
    Options

dude, youre 18, you havent made much progress yet, youre going to be here for the long haul.. you might not want to start off by hollering in an elementary level issue thread and pissing off all the people that have been here helping people a really long time and have met and blazed past alot of their goals already.

if you want to be part of this community, then spread out the snark, spread out the helpful and spread out the pissing off of people. And stop making blanket announcements that tell people that they dont know how their own body feels.

I refuse to come to your page and tell you what you do and do not understand about your own body. Thats not just rude, it's haughty.. who are you to tell another person how a day without regular water feels.

PLEASE enlighten me.

pace yourself. you have a lifetime to make all the people mad.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I'm going to waste my breath (or finger muscles typing, gee how many calories.....er nevermind) here but I'll do it just for my own satisfaction.

1. MFP includes water tracking for the same reasons that nutritionists, doctors and dietitians recommend the infamous 8 glasses of water a day especially when trying to lose weight. It's not to flush your system of toxins, it's not to purify your body of unnecessary calories, it's simply because your biological processes and in particular metabolism, need water in order to function. Certain studies have shown the body's metabolism is more efficient when you are properly hydrated. So henceforth, from now on when someone asks a question about logging water in MFP, unless they say they are trying to flush or something else, it would be safe to assume that their goals are related to the above.

2. Based on the goal being hydration, ANY form of intake that contains water would technically "count". I would assume that no one's going to sit down and try to figure out how much water content was in that pineapple they just ate, but it's there and it does help hydrate you. Just the same, so does coffee, so does tea, so does diet soda, etc. Anyone that tries to tell you that water somehow becomes something other than water because you dissolve another material in it is someone that likely failed High School Chemistry. There is no molecular change in the water as a result of dissolving another substance in it. Molecular change requires a chemical reaction (i.e. you'd have to add heat or it would create heat and generate an all new compound).

3. The whole water tracking in MFP is stupid in the first place. Different people need different amounts of water to remain hydrated. How much you sweat out when you work, how much your body loses through respiration (yes you lose water through breathing), the overall make-up of your body, cellular differences, the list goes on and on. Instead of worrying so much about what counts toward your magic number of 8 cups of water, just make sure you're properly hydrated. Note the color of your urine when you use the toilet and if it's too dark, drink more. If you feel hungry when you shouldn't, try drinking a glass of liquid and wait 20 minutes to see what happens. If you know you're going to be involved in strenuous activity and sweating a lot, drink more (remembering to replace not just water but electrolytes too).

Beyond that this discussion has so little use it's pathetic.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My Motto "You have no one else to answer to but yourself" so with that in mind drink what you feel is right, jus sayin.... :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    sure it is, next time you go to get a coffee from a cafe, i hope they give you a mug of hot water :drinker: since its you know, the same exact thing anyway.
    -Are you familiar with atoms and molecules?

-Do you understand what a water molecule is?

-Are you aware that a water molecule from a cup of coffee is identical to a water molecule from a bottle of drinking water?

Fair enough, if overstated.

I should have qualified it. I should have said "Drinking primarily highly caffeinated drinks can have a diuretic effect and may be counterproductive in reaching hydration goals"

I assumed the OP meant large amounts of coffee (as I consumed in grad school). I didn't mean never have any caffeine - but I didn't make that clear. I just meant that large amounts of caffeine can be a bit detrimental to staying well hydrated. And as I linked to earlier, with a single venti having (nearly) the levels the Mayo clinic states can have an effect, it's at least worth some consideration. Or not - I really don't care anymore.
    I understand what you mean, but the solution is just drink more liquids if you're dehydrated or thirsty. It's not like there is some physical limitation to prevent it. Seems like at least as reasonable a solution as "don't drink caffeinated beverages" especially since people who are doing so are likely to be doing so because they enjoy caffeine.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Realistically speaking just about everything in liquid form can be counted as water. The thing to understand is some of the additives in sodas or other drinks, such as caffeine (among other things), can cause your body to react in ways that actually increase your water requirements because they make your body shed water more quickly. For this reason I only count regular clear water as water. Easy enough because it's all I drink.