What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity taso - what are your views on sodium intake?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

you're not going to like this.... are you sure you want to hear this? :smile:
  • janetlynn31
    janetlynn31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Haven't given it up - but try to go with the smaller portions, salad instead of fries, grilled instead of fried, pick and choose. I've noticed that a lot of places are posting calorie content so it's in your face. It's easy to blow a day's worth of calories in one fast food meal but most places have more choices now.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

you're going to say it doesn't matter because you work out so much that your body needs the extra sodium?
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I gave up fast food and i'm sure it helps a little but mostly my stomach thanks me for not giving it pains anymore from that stuff......I can get full off good food and don't feel lazy afterwards and the need to take a nap
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I just feel better overall. I'm not as bloated, I don't feel like taking a nap after lunch. The sluggishness is gone.
  • taso42
    Options

you're going to say it doesn't matter because you work out so much that your body needs the extra sodium?

More or less. Back in my early days of getting fit, I was mindful of sodium, trying to keep it to modest levels. Granted I've never been one of those people who needs to put salt on everything. I have friends that do that and I cringe (just from a flavor perspective; i don't like too salty).

I would track sodium on and off in my food diary, just for curiosity's sake. I never cared too much if I went over the recommended 2500. It was usually under 3500 on any given day.

Few weeks ago I came across this -
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/sodium_your_secret_weapon

Since then I set my sodium "goal" to 6000mg/day ! :laugh:

I'm not religious about it. In fact, to be honest I don't really give a crap where my sodium level ends up since I know it's not dangerously low or dangerously high. I treat it sort of like water: just make sure you get plenty.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

More or less. Back in my early days of getting fit, I was mindful of sodium, trying to keep it to modest levels. Granted I've never been one of those people who needs to put salt on everything. I have friends that do that and I cringe (just from a flavor perspective; i don't like too salty).

I would track sodium on and off in my food diary, just for curiosity's sake. I never cared too much if I went over the recommended 2500. It was usually under 3500 on any given day.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/sodium_your_secret_weapon

I'm not religious about it. In fact, to be honest I don't really give a crap where my sodium level ends up since I know it's not dangerously low or dangerously high. I treat it sort of like water: just make sure you get plenty.

One of my biggest fears is overhydrating. I drink a lot of water so if I go over my sodium a bit..I tend not to get too worried about it.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    You are saying that fast food "isn't good for me". That it's "bad for me". I asked you like a year ago, how is it bad for me? What is it doing to me that's bad?

Look. I could go look up a bunch of studies or whatever, and pretend to know about science. I don't know about science, and let's be honest, you can find a study to back up literally ANYTHING you want.

When I eat fast food I feel like crap and I am depressed. I know what foods are good for me because I can feel the effects of them. If I eat badly, I get a migraine and I crave healthy foods. I used to live a very unhealthy lifestyle and eat junk food a lot. When I cleaned up my diet, I was a new person. I had more energy, I was happier and felt healthier. And SOMETIMES, there are years and generations of human experience backing up so-called "fairytales".

Same thing happened to me. Like I said in my very first response to this thread. I cut out most "unclean" foods for around a year and half (give or take), way at the beginning. I transformed myself from fat ignorant weakling to strong lean dude. Lots of hard work, lots of discipline, and lots and lots of reading.

I can quote you verbatim, as I feel this way exactly: "When I cleaned up my diet, I was a new person. I had more energy, I was happier and felt healthier."

I ate 3 double decker supremes today. They were delicious and I feel great. I even felt great about eating them. If eating them caused me to feel like crap, I wouldn't eat them.

Hell, back then, during my first few months of this, I would perhaps even be arguing YOUR position.

But thankfully, I evolved as I learned.

I mean, I'm still trying to figure out where we disagree other than my terminology...
  • taso42
    Options
    I mean, I'm still trying to figure out where we disagree other than my terminology...

I *think* if you distill it down to the essence, I'm arguing that diets are healthy or unhealthy; whereas you're arguing that individual meals are healthy or unhealthy. It's a fairly subtle distinction I guess.

You (seem to?) be arguing that certain foods should be completely avoided. Whereas I'm arguing that there is no reason to avoid individual foods so long as they are taken in the context of a generally healthy diet.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

dude you are so gonna die "young" :tongue: - which is a shame cuz i think i like you apart from our varying views on nutrition.

basing a 6000 mg/day off one article is a little ridiculous don't you think?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    also that was mostly a joke. don't take it seriously. haha
  • taso42
    Options

dude you are so gonna die "young" - which is a shame cuz i think i like you apart from our varying views on nutrition.

Thanks for your concern.

I have cross-checked this with a few people who are way more knowledgeable and more well-read than I am. There are a few people on this site who I trust almost dogmatically. So it's based on a combination of things. It's also based on a (very anecdotal) hunch I have - that certain "off" days I've had in the gym may have been due to low sodium levels.

It wouldn't say it's a priority to actually hit my 6k "sodium macro". I have it there as a column in my food diary. I kind of glance at it. I don't try to avoid foods high in sodium, nor do I go out of my way to get a lot of sodium. I am probably hitting something like 4-6k mg per day.

It's also a sort of n=1 experiment on myself. If I keep getting "plenty" of sodium, and I have less off-days in the gym, and my blood test comes out stellar like it did the last time, I will basically continue.
  • Fitnfab36
    Options
    I eat fast foods only once a week. On saturdays. That's my free day
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options

I *think* if you distill it down to the essence, I'm arguing that diets are healthy or unhealthy; whereas you're arguing that individual meals are healthy or unhealthy. It's a fairly subtle distinction I guess.

You (seem to?) be arguing that certain foods should be completely avoided. Whereas I'm arguing that there is no reason to avoid individual foods so long as they are taken in the context of a generally healthy diet.

I believe certain diets are healthy or unhealthy, but for that to be true there must be healthy and unhealthy foods. Food is what makes up a diet. That's all I'm saying.
    I never said people should avoid certain foods completely. I had pizza for breakfast today, and I made it work. But I don't think that was the best and healthiest choice I could have made. Doesn't mean I'm beating myself up, because I'm not. I'm not perfect and I don't live in a perfect world and I adjust accordingly.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That is insulting. I stated a few criteria for "health" earlier in this thread. Here are a few off the top of my head:
    - free of disease
    - strong immune system
    - well-functioning organs
    - good blood pressure
    - good blood cholesterol
    - good resting heart rate
    - good strength
    - good body composition
    - feeling of well being
    - free of vitamin deficiencies

My whole premise here is that eating fast food, or any sort of food for that matter, within the context of a good diet will absolutely not prevent one from achieving the criteria above, or any other criteria that can be considered "good health". Let's go as far as replacing the word good with the word excellent. I will dare say, that I, DavPaul, AnvilHead, and a great many others on this website are in EXCELLENT health even while consuming "fast food" regularly.

Just to reiterate another main point of this whole philosophy - no one food can be considered healthy or unhealthy. All food is healthy (fine, let's take synthetic trans-fats as the exception). A person's overall diet is what makes them healthy or unhealthy.

I am 100% certain that I am in much better health than a great many people who have never consumed fast food in their life. Of course this is not BECAUSE I eat fast food, but despite it, because my diet AS A WHOLE is exceptional.

got it. here's a hypothetical for you to ponder: what about a person who eats exactly the same diet as you, but replaces your fast food with whole foods? no difference in your health?

if they are going to match me calorie for calorie, then no, there will be no difference in health. they might burst their stomach open tho, as trying to match me calorie for calorie on one of my 5000 calorie days by eating only lean meats and veggies is going to be a helluva challenge
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I was not really into fast food so it was easy. When i do eat it once in a blue moon I feel sick. So it is better off I don't.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Then please, tell me what healthy means to you. According to taso and DavPul, it doesn't mean eating foods that are good for you because there's no such thing. As far as I can tell, it just means muscles

That's a gross misinterpretation of what they are saying. "Healthy" is a very subjective term, but I think most people can agree on some baseline elements of what it means- minimized disease risk, ability to perform whatever functions are appropriate for daily life without struggle, high energy, happiness or at least contentedness.

I have all this, plus the peace of mind that comes from not worrying about every little thing I eat. Oh and muscles. HOOOGE *kitten* muscles. But that's more a side benefit than a main feature.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

dude you are so gonna die "young" - which is a shame cuz i think i like you apart from our varying views on nutrition.

Thanks for your concern.

I have cross-checked this with a few people who are way more knowledgeable and more well-read than I am. There are a few people on this site who I trust almost dogmatically. So it's based on a combination of things. It's also based on a (very anecdotal) hunch I have - that certain "off" days I've had in the gym may have been due to low sodium levels.

It wouldn't say it's a priority to actually hit my 6k "sodium macro". I have it there as a column in my food diary. I kind of glance at it. I don't try to avoid foods high in sodium, nor do I go out of my way to get a lot of sodium. I am probably hitting something like 4-6k mg per day.

It's also a sort of n=1 experiment on myself. If I keep getting "plenty" of sodium, and I have less off-days in the gym, and my blood test comes out stellar like it did the last time, I will basically continue.

Don't forget potassium - the bananas you love and eat so much are high in potassium, as is the tomato sauce you find on your pizza and the coffee you drink a lot of.....so you need to take your whole diet into context....wait! You already said that!
  • DavPul
    Options

I believe certain diets are healthy or unhealthy, but for that to be true there must be healthy and unhealthy foods. Food is what makes up a diet. That's all I'm saying.
    I never said people should avoid certain foods completely. I had pizza for breakfast today, and I made it work. But I don't think that was the best and healthiest choice I could have made. Doesn't mean I'm beating myself up, because I'm not. I'm not perfect and I don't live in a perfect world and I adjust accordingly.

i'm putting words in Taso's mouth here, but i think when he says a diet can be unhealthy, he's talking about the quantity, not quality. the pizza you ate this morning wasn't "bad" for you, but if you ate an entire pizza, then followed it up with mcdonald's burgers, fries, and a shake for lunch, then for dinner had homemade fried chicken with homemade biscuits and homemade mac and cheese, then you'd be hitting 6000 cals for the day. that would be "bad'.

spread those items out and get the cals down to 2700 for the day, and you're fine. just as fine as if you ate 2700 cals worth of carrots and beans.

maybe that's not what Taso is saying. but i'm saying it.

along with this.

abandon-thread-gif-cats_zpsd251d25e.gif