Lost any or all respect for Lance Atrmstrong?

Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    He competed in an era when players doped. And, they all lied about it. Not saying I condone the doping or the lying. But, I can't lose respect for his accomplishments knowing he was competing against what is likely a fair number of other dopers. I say you put an asterisk on his record, but let it stand.

He's just the one of the few that got caught. Still one of my heroes!

Likewise. He was playing on a level playing field because most of them were doping and he dominated.

Wish he would not have lied. I understand... but it was totally wrong.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

LOL I've never heard one single person say that Lance Armstrong ruined their life. It's funny to me that people are witch hunting Lance, when in fact cycling as a whole is a HUGE cesspool for drugging. So in reality he was playing on a level playing field.

I agree with most though... I lost a lot of respect for the guy because of his lying.

LOL then you dont follow sports and this story closely enough. and a lot of the other rides did test positive and got reprimanded because of it. why should Lance be any different? why should he get a pass when others did not? its not a witch hunt if he is guilty.

seriously though...are you just starting to follow this story now?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I hate the fact that he had the audacity to sue people who claimed he used banned substances, and that he ruined the reputations of other riders and bullied them. But, I gotta say: You cannot censure him or hate him for using illegal aids. That is how you win in cycling. Always has been; Maybe always will be. Eddie Merckx used Reactivan. Other guys before him used amphetamines. In 1886, there was a rider who died after using cocaine and caffeine. I believe all but one or two of the last 10 Tour de France winners have been caught cheating. You just don't win in cycling without cheating.
    And, we reward the winners. So . . . what do you expect?
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    maybe one positive that will come out of this is that what he shares, may improve the dope testing going forward.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Since I won as many titles as him the only respect I give is for what he does outside. But come on cheating doesn't always make a winner. Lots of bikers cheated and never won. Same with Baseball Steroids don't make you hit 71 homeruns in a season. those records stood throughout the steroid era. I
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    He competed in an era when players doped. And, they all lied about it. Not saying I condone the doping or the lying. But, I can't lose respect for his accomplishments knowing he was competing against what is likely a fair number of other dopers. I say you put an asterisk on his record, but let it stand.
    These are my thoughts too. It was a time when most athletes did it. Only the winners got caught.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Someone keeps asking how did he ruin anyone's life. I want to know too. Lots of people are cheaters and liars, many the more money they have the more crap they do, but I want to know also whose life he ruined.

Others dislike him as a person so they choose any avenue to trash him.

when its found out a guy is a horrible person its easy to trash him.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    He may have ruined lives by pressuring others on his team to dope. I just read an interview with a cyclist who has also been financially ruined by being caught doping (he has to repay all his winnings), and he said there was huge pressure from Armstrong to take drugs.

I don't think the doping undoes all the good he has done for his charity. Both good and bad can exist at the same time in the same person. I hate the idea that any good I may have done in my life would be completely undone by anything bad I have done. We all are some combination of good and bad, i think, and it must be extremely difficult for people in the public eye who are constantly reduced to black or white.

I am left really curious about how he got away with it all these years. How did he pass all those drug tests?
  • sm1zzle
    Options

LOL I've never heard one single person say that Lance Armstrong ruined their life. It's funny to me that people are witch hunting Lance, when in fact cycling as a whole is a HUGE cesspool for drugging. So in reality he was playing on a level playing field.

I agree with most though... I lost a lot of respect for the guy because of his lying.

LOL then you dont follow sports and this story closely enough. and a lot of the other rides did test positive and got reprimanded because of it. why should Lance be any different? why should he get a pass when others did not? its not a witch hunt if he is guilty.

seriously though...are you just starting to follow this story now?

Yes actually I just learned who Lance was today.

The fact that the other riders got caught has nothing to do with Lance. They were punished based on their own actions. You obviously have a vested hatred for Lance... did he ruin your life because he lied ?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I hate the fact that he had the audacity to sue people who claimed he used banned substances, and that he ruined the reputations of other riders and bullied them. But, I gotta say: You cannot censure him or hate him for using illegal aids. That is how you win in cycling. Always has been; Maybe always will be. Eddie Merckx used Reactivan. Other guys before him used amphetamines. In 1886, there was a rider who died after using cocaine and caffeine. I believe all but one or two of the last 10 Tour de France winners have been caught cheating. You just don't win in cycling without cheating.
    And, we reward the winners. So . . . what do you expect?

i dont blame him for doping either. if i was competing and i knew it was the difference between finishing 20th and finishing 1st i'd do it too. but id like to think i wouldnt be the complete jerk that he is.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    Someone keeps asking how did he ruin anyone's life. I want to know too. Lots of people are cheaters and liars, many the more money they have the more crap they do, but I want to know also whose life he ruined.

Others dislike him as a person so they choose any avenue to trash him.

when its found out a guy is a horrible person its easy to trash him.
    Lots of people lie.. does not make them horrible people.
    Are you going to pretend you've never told a lie ?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Yes actually I just learned who Lance was today.

The fact that the other riders got caught has nothing to do with Lance. They were punished based on their own actions. You obviously have a vested hatred for Lance... did he ruin your life because he lied ?

wow...well read up a bit and you will learn what most of the people in this thread have already learned.

and of course others getting caught and punished matters. its Lance's turn to face the judge. are you really saying he deserves nothing to happen to him? and the other riders did deserve it?

and yes...im Tyler Hamilton.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I knew he was a schmuck when he referred to women as "skirts" in his first book. :noway:
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    never really followed it too closely, but whether or not he did steroids, even though he admitted it, you still got to be in top condition to be able to bike like that. It's not like he was a scrawny guy, injected himself and turned into superman. He was very fit to begin with. I haven't lost any respect for him as an athlete. He was still inspiring. He went about it the wrong way, but still pretty awesome. I'm not sure if I read or heard right about him making his team do steroids, but to that I call BS. I have a hard enough time telling my husband to put his clothe in the hamper, I can't see how a team of adults we're pressured or forced to take anything by one guy no matter who he is.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

lol you really are struggling with all of this arent you? he didnt just lie. lawsuits, threats, etc...
    why dont you give google a looksy and see all that you find and get back to us in a day or two.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed, but not surprised. It's a good thing he's finally owned up to his wrongs. I'd be surprised if there are any big-name cyclists who haven't doped. I'll give him respect for coming clean. He could have lied forever. I've never heard him claim to be a strong Christian, and without the support of a higher power, I imagine the temptation was more than he could bear. I've never doped (really), but I have succumbed to other temptations in moments of weakness. He was wrong, but still a great athlete. I'll leave it up to God to either judge Lance or forgive him. It's up to Lance. I hope he makes better choices from here on out.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

i dont blame him for doping either. if i was competing and i knew it was the difference between finishing 20th and finishing 1st i'd do it too. but id like to think i wouldnt be the complete jerk that he is.

So the cheating and lying takes a back seat to how he is as a person... just as I thought from the start.
    Why all the tap dancing ?
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't put ANY athlete on a pedestal. =Excellence in sport in general has become more about how can I gain an advantage with substances that aren't yet banned or how can I get away with using substances that are banned.

My life isn't ruined. I don't know of anyone whose life he ruined. Anyone who tries to use that is just avoiding taking responsibility for their own actions.

The guys a loser. Plain and simple. He didn't have the courage to admit to what he'd done when it became obvious to most people that he had doped.

The worst part is that we are idolizing ordinary people in sports, music and movies and holding them to standards that we can't keep in situations we can't even imagine. And instead of reacting to their bad decisions the way we would to our own bad decisions we criticize and harass, wag fingers and tsk tsk.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

lol you really are struggling with all of this arent you? he didnt just lie. lawsuits, threats, etc...
    why dont you give google a looksy and see all that you find and get back to us in a day or two.

It's ok... you don't like Lance as a person. We get it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD! HE DOPED?!?!!

I DIDN'T KNOW UNTIL JUST NOW!!