Lost any or all respect for Lance Atrmstrong?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Someone keeps asking how did he ruin anyone's life. I want to know too. Lots of people are cheaters and liars, many the more money they have the more crap they do, but I want to know also whose life he ruined.

How about the people he beat in racing who did not cheat, and may have won if he hadn't cheated? Maybe "ruin" is strong, so maybe "Very adversely affected",, might be better.

^^^You need to check your facts. Show me one person in cycling, who means anything at all, who didn't use.

Errrr...

Bradley Wiggins, holder of several world records, current TdF winner, only cyclist to win Paris–Nice, Tour de Romandie, Critérium du Dauphiné and Tour de France in the same year etc etc.

...and a cyclist who has never doped (he probably would have achieved much of this sooner if he had).

LOL! Right. I've heard that too.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    didn't lose respect. i think he still would have won one without cheating. i can't find a way to not respect a man who made me give a *kitten* about people riding bicycles.
    The people who have lost respect for him are the people who looked up to him. I didn't so I could care less about what he did/didn't achieve with/without enhancement.
    So let's talk NFL football now.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9ers/Pats superbowl. Bank on it

^agreed

I'm not so sure since Gronk broke that arm again....Ravens are playing inspired ball. But I'm afraid Atlanta will have nothing for San Fran. They are going to be hard to beat.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

How has this changed your opinion of him, if at all?

As long as he stays within his macros, I don't care how he gets his calories.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i posted a link to an article a few posts above that all Armstrong supporters should read which sheds some light on his true character as a person, but here's yet another major controversy which should shed some light on what an awful human being this guy truly is:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-860283

i've been recently hearing that his cancer foundation doesn't actually fund any/much research into finding cancer cures, but is instead registered as a cancer "awareness" charity, which allows Armstrong and his flunkies to use much of the donations on "marketing and PR and administration costs".

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html

he truly is a despicable human being. i could care less about cycling or Livestrong and never gave him two seconds of thought until this doping scandal erupted about a year ago. but i've seen enough to know he's not somebody anybody should look up to.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Put him on the *kitten* list with Tiger Woods. Different idiocy, same disgust.

THIS!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous that people are getting all worked over Lance specifically. It agree with a previous poster that it was a witch hunt, just because he had the biggest name. Why not just do away with all winners of the Tour, after all, it's been made pretty obvious that they are all dopers and cheaters if they've won. Many just want to complain about Lance because he is the only one whose name they know. Keep making yourself look like an armchair cyclist tool.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm such a sap! But I remember back in the day seeing him bike and just being awestruck at his ability. I'm not athletic and I've always admired this ability in others, be it swimming or gymnastics or tennis or running, whatever. It is amazing to see others push the human body, you know? Then to find out he was cheating all along, and he was a big bully that wrecked others' lives...I almost feel hurt by it, for my gullibility in admiring such a person.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think he was really so much different than others in the sport. He still did things that I will never be physically capable of doing, doped or not.
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    I just feel bad, not necessarily for him, but all those who looked up to him. It would gave been nice if he was clean. Just a sad story of our time we hear too often.

Wish it weren't true.

I agree ^^^ Sad that it's true. But I'm not going to stop wearing my Live Strong stuff. Because I still believe in what that means. I'm disappointed in the fact that Lance was not clean and living a healthy strong lifestyle. But what the corporation stands for and tries to promote is something I believe in. They need to find a way to distance the brand, corporation from Lance and continue to promote health and wellness. May those that; cover up, cheat, lie...whatever, learn from this.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    "No one ever profited from the use of steroids".
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • jumpeebean
    Options
    I think using illegal drugs to enhance performance is rife amongst ALL sports. I think it's sad when sportsmen and women use them .. I know I would feel like a fraud to get so much success and pulicity and money from something i didnt achieve off my own hard work.

I also think there are more sides to things than what first meets the eye...
  • jumpeebean
    Options
    I don't think he was really so much different than others in the sport. He still did things that I will never be physically capable of doing, doped or not.

this ^^
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I actually lost more respect for him over the denial than I did over the doping. While I don't approve of the latter, given how many were doing it over the same period it hardly takes away from his riding successes.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It really just to me as a parent highlights that you need to be careful who your children admire and put on a pedastel.

You need to be their hero vs some athelete. Because the athelete is probably a dirty cheater.
    Perhaps that's cynical, but that's what it has turned into for me.

He looked like on of the "good guys" for a good while.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's played out like he's the antichrist because he took performance enhancing drugs in an era where it was commonplace amongst elite athletes. The dope itself didn't win him the Tour De France. He is a genuine athlete, and probably would've won three or four on his own merit. However at a time and in a culture of doping he worked out how to do it very, very well.
    I tend to think most of the hate against Armstrong isn't because he cheated, but because of how he reacted to the accusations. Read some of the accounts of those Tour teams he was on. He wasn't just doping because everyone else was, he was the ringleader. He encouraged the other riders on his team to cheat as a means to help keep himself on top. He threatened those who didn't "cheat hard enough" with being kicked off the team. He went on the offensive and attacked anyone who accused him of doping.

He wasn't just a part of a sport where everyone was cheating, he was encouraging that system. He didn't just get caught cheating, he attempted to destroy anyone who would dare to accuse him.

The cheating wasn't the biggest problem in my book, it was the arrogance and viciousness of the whole thing that makes him a douche in my book. Hell, if he wasn't such a **** about pretty much everything along the way there probably wouldn't be scores of other riders with dirt on him waiting for a chance to tell the story to knock him down a peg.
  • futuresize6
    futuresize6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well now this is where the book comes in...
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    For me its not so much that he cheated but that he did it to win 7 x's. Thats just flat out greedy. Had he only won 3x's and left it at that I don't think it would have been so bad but he got greedy and went on for 7 and that pissed people off. Then he had the audacity to sue others for telling the truth! That for me was the kicker. That is when I lost any and all respect for the man.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    didn't lose respect. i think he still would have won one without cheating. i can't find a way to not respect a man who made me give a *kitten* about people riding bicycles.
    The people who have lost respect for him are the people who looked up to him. I didn't so I could care less about what he did/didn't achieve with/without enhancement.
    So let's talk NFL football now.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9ers/Pats superbowl. Bank on it

^agreed

I'm not so sure since Gronk broke that arm again....Ravens are playing inspired ball. But I'm afraid Atlanta will have nothing for San Fran. They are going to be hard to beat.

very true, Ray wants to go out with a bang!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents...
    It's a terrible thing that Lance did because no one but Lance Armstrong lies... ever. Shame on him for lying about something that would potentially destroy his illustrious career, no one under the same position as he would have ever done such a thing!
    ...yeah right.

I would say given the history of doping/steroids in this sport, it's not very surprising that the most successful cyclist would also be using. Not sure why everyone is freaking about the issue, maybe I think this way because I never really cared/looked up to Armstrong myself.

Also never tested positive =/= not using steroids.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    It's played out like he's the antichrist because he took performance enhancing drugs in an era where it was commonplace amongst elite athletes. The dope itself didn't win him the Tour De France. He is a genuine athlete, and probably would've won three or four on his own merit. However at a time and in a culture of doping he worked out how to do it very, very well.
    I tend to think most of the hate against Armstrong isn't because he cheated, but because of how he reacted to the accusations. Read some of the accounts of those Tour teams he was on. He wasn't just doping because everyone else was, he was the ringleader. He encouraged the other riders on his team to cheat as a means to help keep himself on top. He threatened those who didn't "cheat hard enough" with being kicked off the team. He went on the offensive and attacked anyone who accused him of doping.

He wasn't just a part of a sport where everyone was cheating, he was encouraging that system. He didn't just get caught cheating, he attempted to destroy anyone who would dare to accuse him.

The cheating wasn't the biggest problem in my book, it was the arrogance and viciousness of the whole thing that makes him a douche in my book. Hell, if he wasn't such a **** about pretty much everything along the way there probably wouldn't be scores of other riders with dirt on him waiting for a chance to tell the story to knock him down a peg.

I agree.