Marriage values in our society....

Options

Replies

• MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    To say that marriage is sacred is to deny the legal bound - a right of everyone - by excluding those who do not follow your religion.

what is it about the word sacred that would mean that?

Sacred is not a word that can ONLY be used by those of a certain faith... it doesnt really matter... If something is important to you it is something you hold dear... or sacred....

i think that the legal implications are meaningless there are tons of people who are "married" without the legal aspect of it they have decided to commit to each other (of multiple people) and intend to honor their commitments... you dont have to have paperwork to value your relationship
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I yearn for the good 'ol days when affairs didn't happen.

When unicorns flourished and Jesus rode Dinosaurs....

R u saying Dinosaurs don't exist? :sick: :tongue:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

WHAT????????????? theres no dinos???
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Oh, and why is marriage "sacred"? It is only a contract really, and contracts are broken or dissolved all the time. Of course, I'm an atheist and don't place the same importance on the word "marriage" many religious people might.

I don't think you have to be "religious" to put value upon your marriage. Regardless of the actual contract, you look someone you love dead in the eye and you vow your love and faithfulness through sickness and health, rich or poor, etc. Why do I have to be religious to think that means something??

Not all cultures take vows actually.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I love dinosaurs.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The responses to this thread already show the lack of values.
    No, it's not her business, but apparently it's something she wished to talk about. Marriage is supposed to be sacred. And people are throwing it away like it means nothing. So I totally agree with this post. Is it my business whether someone else has an affair? No... but that doesn't take away from the fact that the world's population is lacking morals and values.

And why in the world do you bother commenting on such a post if you just want to say it's none of their business? It doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to discuss it, then find your way out.

My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it any better! The lack of values these days is a disgrace to humanity and our Creator. It is sad how the marriage covenant is not taken as seriously these days. People go into it thinking if it doesn't work out then there is always divorce (or adultery), but that is not the correct view of the marriage covenant.

But where people will jump all over you is because you mentioned our Creator. So they ultimately put you in the "those Christians" category. Leaving religion completely out of it, when you make certain promises to be faithful, you should keep them. Whether you get married in church or not, its all besides the point. If your vows contain, and we can have an open marriage and do whoever whenever... then good for you I suppose. But if you promise faithfulness, honestly and to hold your SO dearly, then keep it. Divorce is so easy for people to jump to anymore. Things get hard and people call their attorney's.
    BUT... thank you so much for agreeing with me sweets! I'm sending you a FR!

Yes, you're right....divorce is easy. *eye roll*
    Have you been throug one? Have you sat and turned over and over in your head what you could possibly do to make it work when everything started to fall apart? (no, I never cheated and neither did he, but this is more in response to the 'divorce is easy' part of the comment). Some things can't be repaired.

According to the Bible, yes, I should have stayed in a marriage where I wasn't valued or respected, where I was depressed and unhappy, trying desperately to be enough for a man who preferred me to live my life soley for HIM and HIS benefit than for myself.

I should have done that because I made a promise a decade BEFORE he changed into a completely different person. I didn't, though....I did what was best for me and my happiness and well-being. I won't apologize for that.

I'm not an athiest, I'm not anti-Christian.....I was raised in a very strict, Pentacostal home, but I have seen a sharp rise in judgement and outright hate by "The Church" in recent years, particularly against those who don't follow their core beliefs and teachings.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    These are all considered Affairs....whether physical and/or emotional....they are still affairs.

That is your opinion.

Looks like you're going to have to find a new tactic in your crusade to defend infidelity. Good luck.
    AWWWWW :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I notice you removed the part of my quote where I completely shot down your argument and made you look like an *ss. Cute.

You're still wrong, though.

I deleted the part you Googled. Is that a crime?

Hiding evidence that discredits you and exposes you as being wrong should be! It's cool, though. You just proved that I had a valid point, and, like most little girls with a third-grader mentality, just hid away the argument and pretended it never happened rather than admit that what you said was stupid.

*applause*
    You sound very mature. I'm glad you have nothing better to do than to be a ***** on the internet.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    so true dirtnap..... it was hidden or the woman turned the blind eye... what changed is she went to work and now has her own income and can see how well men had it back in the day when she was at his beck and call due to him being the bread winner.... Ladies ask your mom and about the stories when she grew up...she has lots to share.... I even heard stories about a woman who's husband went away to work only to have his brother go help her out ;)... god love him... lots of cheating going on back in the good ol days.

This is what I was going to say as well.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am very disappointed in hearing some news today. Where has everyone's marriage values gone? I'm hearing waaay too much about people having affairs, or secretly meeting someone for "lunch" or "texting and/or talking on the phone" when your spouse is unaware. These are all considered Affairs....whether physical and/or emotional....they are still affairs. I know that if anything like this ever happened to me, I would TRY my best to work through it with my husband....I would....but knowing my personality, it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. I feel so BLESSED that I have a husband who has the same marriage values as mine but also dumbfounded and a little (i should say ALOT) disgusted at the things I have seen at the gym and also with the news I heard today. Shame on some people for not putting the importance of their marriage above any "lust" or attraction you may of felt. :(

How dare you judge people who sin differently than you do....
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy, I hope no one breaks the news to her that Mary Magdaline was a *kitten*.... it'll break her heart....

god love her...I hear she is good in bed.... : )
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    When you say "our" society, which one do you mean?

more than likely, shes talking about humanity. humanity once had morals and ethics, not so much anymore...

Tell that to the Sodomites

why would i tell the sodomites that? what a silly statement...

No sillier than your statement. "The good ole days" weren't that good, they were just better at hiding things. At no time in our history was humanity more "pure" than it is today. Stop looking at history through rose coloured glasses.

"the good ol days" wasnt my statement... try again.

So at what time in history did "humanity have morals and ethics" then?? That was your statement.

lets re-read again, WHAT I SAID WAS... MORE THAN LIKELY SHE MEANS... blah blah blah... so, like i stated before, i was answering someones question with what I THINK SHE IS REFERING TO...

but, if you are looking for statistics, you can google crime rates, teen pregnancy rates, and other societal statistics that can show a decrease in the moral decline in society...

How about the statistics that show a decline in slavery, spousal floggings, and burnings at the stake of people thought to be "witches"? Or does that not have any bearing on the moral fabric of society?

oh, im sorry, i didnt know we were talking about witches... i thought this was a discussion on morality... are we also going to debate statistics regarding the use of tampons vs kotex? lets stay on topic, mkay?

Persecution of people with different lifestyles and viewpoints is a moral issue, mkay?
  • cburn4492
    Options
    I can't believe I just read this whole thread. I feel dumber.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I love dinosaurs.

Believe it or not there are those that think that the dinosaurs were a lie. That they are a government conspiracy. Kid you not. It amazes me too...
  • jullang
    Options
    You do realize you are posting on a place that focuses on being healthy in a physical way and not necessarily a moral or spiritual way?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

more than likely, shes talking about humanity. humanity once had morals and ethics, not so much anymore...

No sillier than your statement. "The good ole days" weren't that good, they were just better at hiding things. At no time in our history was humanity more "pure" than it is today. Stop looking at history through rose coloured glasses.

So at what time in history did "humanity have morals and ethics" then?? That was your statement.

lets re-read again, WHAT I SAID WAS... MORE THAN LIKELY SHE MEANS... blah blah blah... so, like i stated before, i was answering someones question with what I THINK SHE IS REFERING TO...

but, if you are looking for statistics, you can google crime rates, teen pregnancy rates, and other societal statistics that can show a decrease in the moral decline in society...

How about the statistics that show a decline in slavery, spousal floggings, and burnings at the stake of people thought to be "witches"? Or does that not have any bearing on the moral fabric of society?

oh, im sorry, i didnt know we were talking about witches... i thought this was a discussion on morality... are we also going to debate statistics regarding the use of tampons vs kotex? lets stay on topic, mkay?

Persecution of people with different lifestyles and viewpoints is a moral issue, mkay?

oh, thats strange, i dont remember persecuting anyone in regards to thier lifestyle, again, all i said was, "I THINK SHE IS REFERING TO HUMANITY ONCE HAVING MORALS..." but, typical of you to get "confused" on who said what... i forgive you!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I can't believe I just read this whole thread. I feel dumber.

Yeah..but I can't help it. It's like a train wreck . Just have to keep watching.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

oh, thats strange, i dont remember persecuting anyone in regards to thier lifestyle, again, all i said was, "I THINK SHE IS REFERING TO HUMANITY ONCE HAVING MORALS..." but, typical of you to get "confused" on who said what... i forgive you!

Just curious Do you know whoever it is you are talking to? Just wondering because you said "typical of you" so figured maybe you two were RL debate buddies or something.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You do realize you are posting on a place that focuses on being healthy in a physical way and not necessarily a moral or spiritual way?

Do you realize this is the chit chat fun and games forum and anything that the mods do not remove goes? Relax...people just like to blow off some steam and talk about anything.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

Just curious Do you know whoever it is you are talking to? Just wondering because you said "typical of you" so figured maybe you two were RL debate buddies or something.

lol, no, hes been after me, mis-quoting me, on this entire thread because i answered someones question regarding what does she mean by society, and i said, i think she is refering to humanity... lol...
This discussion has been closed.