how overrated is/was the SEC this season?

Options
123457»

Replies

• wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    In the last 20 years an SEC team has won the national championship 11 times. Alabama has 4, Florida 3, and LSU 2. The rest of the conference really hasn't won anything and just rides the big boys' jock. It cracks me up to see Georgia, USCe, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Ole Miss fans chanting SEC-SEC-SEC!

UGA vs. Florida (Florida is 18-5 since 1990)
    UGA vs. Alabama (Bama 5-3 in last 8 meetings and 37-25-4 all-time)
    UGA vs. LSU (LSU is 4-3 in last 7 meetings and 16-12-1 all-time)

USCe vs. Florida (USCe has only won 3 times since 1964. UF is 24-6-3 all-time)
    USCe vs. Alabama (Bama 11-4 all-time)
    USCe vs. LSU (LSU 17-2-1 all-time. USCe won in 1994 and 1930)

Ark vs Florida (Florida is 8-1 all time. 8-0 since Arkansas has been in SEC)
    Ark vs Alabama (Bama is 15-8 all-time)
    Ark vs LSU (LSU is 36-20-2 all-time)

Miss vs Alabama (Record: 9-49-2)
    Miss vs Auburn (Record: 10-27)
    Miss vs LSU (Record: 39-58-4)

Tenn vs Florida (Record: 19-23-0)
    Tenn vs Alabama (Record: 38-50-7)
    Tenn vs LSU (Record: 20-9-3 although LSU has won 6 of last 8 since 2000)

Kentucky vs Florida (Record: 17-46-0)
    Kentucky vs Alabama (Record: 2-35-1)
    Kentucky vs LSU (Record: 16-39-1)

ESPN, CBS, and the BCS will do everything in their power to help maintain the "mystique" of the conference because they have the largest (and most loyal) fan bases in the country. That translates into $$$ for them and really nothing else.

LOL it must suck to be a FSU fan. BTW I was at the Sugar Bowl in 2002 when Georgia wore them out.

Georgia is 3-2 in the last 5 meetings vs Bama
    2-3 in the last 5 vs Florida, and
    3-2 against LSU

That's 8-7 against the teams "superior" to them. Nice try though...
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    GO MIZZOU! and honestly the real national championship game is the SEC championship UGA gave Bama a way harder task
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would have loved to see an Oregon/Bama matchup. I think Bama takes that one with lessons learned from the A&M loss though.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    LOL it must suck to be a FSU fan. BTW I was at the Sugar Bowl in 2002 when Georgia wore them out.

Georgia is 3-2 in the last 5 meetings vs Bama
    2-3 in the last 5 vs Florida, and
    3-2 against LSU

That's 8-7 against the teams "superior" to them. Nice try though...

LOL. I was there too. UGA didn't wear anybody out. They were a dropped TD pass away from losing to our 4th string quarterback (which was actually a WR forced to play QB).

And BTW... not bashing UGA... I grew up in northeast Georgia and went to UGA too. Both FSU and UGA are great schools with great traditions. I've been going to college football games since the 70's. I'm just pointing out the fallacy that the SEC is far superior too all other conferences. Better in the last 10-15 years yes.

Personally I would love to see the top 2 in the SEC, ACC, Big 10/12/16 (whatever they all are this week), and the PAC and play it out at the end of the year. I just don't want a playoff to take away from the regular season.

Also, my previous post was too long already or I would have added that I think UGA is now the 2nd best team in the SEC (could have been playing last night) and may be top dog the next few years. A would love to see FSU-UGA play frequently.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    In the last 20 years an SEC team has won the national championship 11 times. Alabama has 4, Florida 3, and LSU 2. The rest of the conference really hasn't won anything and just rides the big boys' jock. It cracks me up to see Georgia, USCe, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Ole Miss fans chanting SEC-SEC-SEC!

UGA vs. Florida (Florida is 18-5 since 1990)
    UGA vs. Alabama (Bama 5-3 in last 8 meetings and 37-25-4 all-time)
    UGA vs. LSU (LSU is 4-3 in last 7 meetings and 16-12-1 all-time)

USCe vs. Florida (USCe has only won 3 times since 1964. UF is 24-6-3 all-time)
    USCe vs. Alabama (Bama 11-4 all-time)
    USCe vs. LSU (LSU 17-2-1 all-time. USCe won in 1994 and 1930)

Ark vs Florida (Florida is 8-1 all time. 8-0 since Arkansas has been in SEC)
    Ark vs Alabama (Bama is 15-8 all-time)
    Ark vs LSU (LSU is 36-20-2 all-time)

Miss vs Alabama (Record: 9-49-2)
    Miss vs Auburn (Record: 10-27)
    Miss vs LSU (Record: 39-58-4)

Tenn vs Florida (Record: 19-23-0)
    Tenn vs Alabama (Record: 38-50-7)
    Tenn vs LSU (Record: 20-9-3 although LSU has won 6 of last 8 since 2000)

Kentucky vs Florida (Record: 17-46-0)
    Kentucky vs Alabama (Record: 2-35-1)
    Kentucky vs LSU (Record: 16-39-1)

ESPN, CBS, and the BCS will do everything in their power to help maintain the "mystique" of the conference because they have the largest (and most loyal) fan bases in the country. That translates into $$$ for them and really nothing else.

Spoken like a true FSU fan.........I bleed Razorback Red and will till the day I die and will be glad to back any SEC team that we aren't playing.....sure we would love to be a top 10 or even a top 20 team every year but, even the Razorbacks could be in the top 2 or 3 of the ACC conference every year. Talk about a mediocre conference. At least we get to play top level teams in our conference every year and have a chance (as slim as it might be) to win an important game now and then. So FSU had a lil dynasty in the 90's.....so what if they used ineligible players in 06 & 07.....the ACC still is a lousy football conference and FSU should be at the top every year with their football teams in that conference. On a personal note....excited to see Bret Bielema come to Arkansas.
  • mmrp79
    mmrp79 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The SEC is without a doubt the best conference in college football. It hasn't always been. It won't always be. But it is right now, and has been for the past several seasons. Fans of other teams should focus more on why their conferences aren't as good. Simple petty jealousy, and attempting to dispute that which is factually indisputable isn't serving their cause very well.

Well said..... oh and GOOOOOO DAWGSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Gig 'em Aggies!!! :)

More like Gag 'em Maggots!! ;)

BOOMER!!!

Oh and to answer the OP, when is SEC NOT overrated?

That's kind of embarrassing now, huh?

Gig' Em! 41-13 I believe? Whoop!
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Spoken like a true FSU fan.........I bleed Razorback Red and will till the day I die and will be glad to back any SEC team that we aren't playing.....sure we would love to be a top 10 or even a top 20 team every year but, even the Razorbacks could be in the top 2 or 3 of the ACC conference every year. Talk about a mediocre conference. At least we get to play top level teams in our conference every year and have a chance (as slim as it might be) to win an important game now and then. So FSU had a lil dynasty in the 90's.....so what if they used ineligible players in 06 & 07.....the ACC still is a lousy football conference and FSU should be at the top every year with their football teams in that conference. On a personal note....excited to see Bret Bielema come to Arkansas.
    My cousin went to law school at Arky Nate... pig sooie or whatever ya'll say! :)

I enjoy the sport and pageantry of college football as a whole and watch teams from every conference. I don't get the conference pride thing. My Tampa Bay Rays are in the AL East, but no way in hell I'm pulling for the Yankees. I love the Braves too. The NL East Phillies and Mets can kiss my *kitten*.

Back to CFB... I look at conferences from the perspective that you have 4 top teams, 4 middle of the packers, and 4 bottom feeders (hypothetically). From year to year, teams may move up or down, but over the long term they're usually one of the other.

If you take the top 4 in one conference and play the top 4 in any other conference, the games would be split fairly even. Take the middle 4 and do the same. Take the bottom 4 and do the same.

Not meaning to leave any one out, but you "should" be able to take any 4 of these and play any other 4 head to head. Sure you have teams like Bama win 3 out of 4 and I realize some of these teams have crapped the bed lately. But over the last 20 years they would provide pretty equal match-ups.

SEC - Bama, UF, LSU, UGA
    ACC - FSU, Clemson, VT, Miami
    B1G - Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn. St.
    Big 12 - Texas, Oklahoma, WVU, K-State
    PAC - USC, Oregon, UCLA, Washington
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Good article, I think they have LSU and Notre Dame too high, and T A&M a little low. I am really looking forward to the T A&M and BAMA game next year!

Roll Tide!