ChaLEAN Extreme

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Try not to worry about burning calories with CLE. When you get to the Interval training (Burn Intervals, Burn It Off) you will burn lots of calories...AND the muscles you are building in the weight lifting will make all the difference by boosting your metabolism even when you are at rest.

I am not even done with the last month and my husband just told me I don't need to lose any more weight! What a feeling!
    Risa
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    That's great Risa! I can't wait to get to the point that people tell me I need to stop losing!
  • I am just wondering if anyone is just doing ChaLean Extreme and not doing the extra cardio or extra workouts. I would like to hear what the results are like for those strictly doing the program!
  • afeinberg
    afeinberg Posts: 93 Member
    So far I've done burn 1 and 2 and today burn intervals and WOW - LOVED burn intervals - still not sold on the burn 1 and 2 but am determined to be a hot bikini mama and will stick with this for 90 days even if i am too sore to walk the next day!!!

the going so slow is difficult for me ....

i did turbo jam 20 minute workout after burn 2 yesterday and felt better about burning the calories...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Did Burn 3 and the ab workout yesterday. I REALLY liked the Ab workout. It was nice feeling challenged. I felt the ab workout in Insanity was a little too easy so this was a nice change.

According to my HRM I burned 335 calories in about 40 min. which wasn't too bad. MFP calculation is WAAAAY too low for this workout when you enter it as strength training.

I REALLY like this program. I prefer lifting over cardio but am still doing the C25K so it works out great for me.
  • YogaRunner
    Allison -
    Hang in there! It is SO worth it! The Lean phase is even more challenging, but so fun! You will reap the benefits! I can see my ab muscles now! They really are there!
    Risa
  • afeinberg
    afeinberg Posts: 93 Member
    so i've done burn 1,2 and 3 and burn interval and ab burner - and tomrorow is burn it off then start all over...lol

i bought newe weights today so am hoping that helps - i feel like i don't know which weights are right yet - sometimes i "fail" at 6 andsometimes i dont' fail by 12 - the slowness is the hardest part for me - and i worry about my form - but it is challenging - i tend to like the turbo jam a lot better - to me the music is better, it goes by quicker - it's just more FUN

but i am determined to get leaner and more muscular and I know this is the way to go and i can do turbo on rest days or even after if i have the time/energy

i'm going through a rough time in my marriage so this is great to help me focus and stay on track - and it's a good distraction!!

LOVED the burn interval and ab burner - can't wait for that next week
  • Iceprincessk25
    Today was a well needed rest day. My legs are so freaking sore again.

I think it's a GREAT lifting program so if you are looking to gain more muscle I think this will definitely work for you......as long as you stick with it!

I'm sorry things are going rough for you. Hopefully this will keep you pre-occupied! :flowerforyou:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Hi Extremers!
    Last night I did Lean 3, and holy hanna I'm sore today! Like I said before, I'm on the Lean for Life plan so I'm doing each phase once a week. It feels good, and my stomach is hungry today! Makes me happy because I know my metabolism is goin crazy! Yahoo! I woke up early this morning and did a nice 3.5 mile jog, and then got on the stationary bike for about 15 minutes to loosen up my legs a little more. I brought lots of extra snacks today!! I love that I am losing weight, gaining muscle, and yet still eating a lot! I feel so energized!!

Risa- I was going to tell you this yesterday but thanks for the Jeff Calloway post. I started out taking a lot of walking breaks, and I still do if I increase my running, but that site made much more sense of walking as a way to help you increase distance while also decreasing injury. I like it! Thanks again, you always think of things the rest of us don't! I'm so excited for you...you have done amazing with this program and getting so small! Did you take measurements when you first started? I wish I would have done that.

afeinberg- I know what you mean about being uncertain as to what weights to use. When I first started I kind of went with Laylee and lifted about as heavy as she did. If it was too heavy or too light, I would make a mark in my guidebook (arrows up or down). And if I failed exactly at the maximum rep of 12 or 8, I marked it with a star so that I knew that it was a perfect weight for me. You'll get the hang of it! Even now that I've increased my weights I still have to contemplate for a bit to determine which set of weights I should use for each exercise. Its a continual process! :) I also love the Burn Intervals. I'm more of a cardio girl too...but, this Chalene Extreme program has changed my views on lifting and strength training, and has given me some great definition!

Iceprincess- My legs are feelin the same today! Last night after I did the workout they were shaking so bad. I love the ab workout as well. Someday I'll be able to complete the entire thing. I usually try to do it after my cardio, and by then my abs are spent! But, its so intense, I love it! I usually log my strength training in depending on my HRM, but I'm still not even sure how accurate that is. I'm assuming I'm burning more, and I do know that you continue to burn more calories for a longer time after you strength train. But, for the exercises when I'm on the floor, like doing bench press, I notice my HR says only like 112 or something, when it was just at 150. I think it has to do with laying down. I feel like I'm still working just as hard, but since I'm not standing using those muscles, it drops my heart rate since my blood doesn't have to pump as hard? I think anyways, just an assumption on my part. Do you find you are crazy hungry the days after lifting? I'm a ravenous monster today! Love it!

Blondie....where are you girl?
  • YogaRunner
    Kicklikeagirl and the rest of you Extremers -
    Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad you liked the info from Jeff Galloway. His philosophy is very helpful to many people and makes what seems impossible very possible for many people.
    I am in the Lean phase and loving it. Though push ups, particularly the bicep push ups are very difficult for me. I love doing the combined upper and lower body moves of the Lean phase. I did take measurements before hand and pictures. Although, I wish I had taken more pictures. I didn't do the whole set recommended in the guidebook. I think I was too embarrased:embarassed: I'm hoping to put together a side by side comparison photo when I'm done.
    Doing a different phase each week sounds great! Is that what Lean for life is? That would mix things up enough for me not to get bored. I can't wait until Chalene's new workout comes out...Turbo Fire! I really want to try it!
  • Lisa0711
    Dawna - I'm here! I've just been soo busy lately I haven't got on the message boards as much.

I was thinking.. Ok. This was my last week of the push phase, but for the last 2 weeks I haven't been doing as much of the cardio as I should. I have made sure to do strength 3 days a week, but maybe only 1-2 days of cardio. I was thinking maybe I should do 1 more week of the push phase just to make up for the weeks I didn't stick to my cardio. What to do? lol

But I'm still loving my new weights! They make my workouts so much harder. It really is amazing how high your heart rate can get when you're using the appropriate amount of weight! I think I still need to get some 30s though. 24 is the most my powerblocks go and my legs are so stout that it doesn't phase me much! (Unless it's the sumo squats.. they get me every time!) lol

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • sam4sure
    sam4sure Posts: 67
    afeinberg- I know what you mean about being uncertain as to what weights to use. When I first started I kind of went with Laylee and lifted about as heavy as she did. If it was too heavy or too light, I would make a mark in my guidebook (arrows up or down). And if I failed exactly at the maximum rep of 12 or 8, I marked it with a star so that I knew that it was a perfect weight for me. You'll get the hang of it! Even now that I've increased my weights I still have to contemplate for a bit to determine which set of weights I should use for each exercise. Its a continual process! :) I also love the Burn Intervals. I'm more of a cardio girl too...but, this Chalene Extreme program has changed my views on lifting and strength training, and has given me some great definition!

Kicklikeagirl- I did exactly this too how funny! I use arrows or stars. :)

I want to add that last time I posted I was concerned why I felt so bloated and my thighs and midsection seemed thicker and clothes seemed tighter. This was during the push phase. I am on week 2 of lean and I feel a lot better and I now have lost a few more lbs and built more muscle. So I am glad I stuck with it because I can see others getting stuck after doing the burn phase and giving up. Everyone keep it up!

Also for those of you doing the lean for life---do you notice a big difference in your body by confusing it with doing each phase once a week? Have a great week all!
  • m5oleary
    m5oleary Posts: 3 Member
    I second the sentiment on the difference between the lean and push phases. I was right there with ya on the not feeling so stellar (bulkier than I wanted to be) at the end of the push phase and I almost DID give up...however, after a 6 day stretch of contemplating and just running, I decided I had committed this far and to finish the program and re-evaluate at the end. I had lost inches since starting the program but virtually no lbs...well, this last week, after jumping back into the program and getting through week 2, I got on the scale Friday and was actually down 2 pounds from the prior week - my first real loss in about 8 weeks. I'm trying to up my running from 20 minutes after each circuit to 30 or more which may also be helping, but I definitely feel better about how I'm looking and glad I decided to see it through to the end.
  • sam4sure
    sam4sure Posts: 67
    I second the sentiment on the difference between the lean and push phases. I was right there with ya on the not feeling so stellar (bulkier than I wanted to be) at the end of the push phase and I almost DID give up...however, after a 6 day stretch of contemplating and just running, I decided I had committed this far and to finish the program and re-evaluate at the end. I had lost inches since starting the program but virtually no lbs...well, this last week, after jumping back into the program and getting through week 2, I got on the scale Friday and was actually down 2 pounds from the prior week - my first real loss in about 8 weeks. I'm trying to up my running from 20 minutes after each circuit to 30 or more which may also be helping, but I definitely feel better about how I'm looking and glad I decided to see it through to the end.

:bigsmile:
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Hi Extremers! Hope everyone is doing great! Last night was my cardio night so I tied my laces and hit the pavement... did 5 miles in 50 minutes, not too bad for 1/2 of the run being uphill (I live in the foothills of the mountains near Yellowstone). It felt great, and even though I prefer doing my workouts in the early AM, I just couldn't get out of bed this morning-- I don't think I hit the pillow early enough. So, tonight I am doing the Burn Intervals!! I was going to do Burn 3, but my right shoulder is killing me! The other night I was pitching (fastpitch softball) to my husband, reminiscing about the old days... and it felt great. I tried not to do too much because I knew I'd be sore. I stretched and iced my shoulder afterwards and now its been 4 days later and my arm still is still so tight! So, I'm going to do the Burn Intervals to get some cardio in, as well as to loosen up these arm muscles again! And I'll be doing some good long stretching afterwards! I LOVE THE BURN INTERVALS!!! They kick my bum everytime, and I usually yell at Chalene when I'm doing the Sumo Burpees, but they make me feel powerful!!!

Risa- Lean for Life is great--- I do one set of each phase during the week, and its great to mix up the body & mind. I've been pretty successful at losing more weight and inches doing the Lean for Life- in fact I've lost more weight in the last 3 weeks doing Lean for Life than I did in the Lean phase itself. I think for me it has to do with the variety and mixing up my muscles with the different reps/routines each time! Yahoo!! I do love the lean phase though, it really tightened my tummy!

Blondie- as far as if you should do Push one more week, its totally up to you. I know I did that with one of the phases because I had gotten busy during the one week. I think if you feel you should go one more week, go for it! It won't "hurt" the schedule. And girl, you are one tough cookie!!! 30 pounds? I struggle to get my wrists to hold the 20 pounders..haha.. you are right up there with Chalene!!! Look at you go!!

sam4sure- I am SO glad you stuck it out, and are now seeing the results of your hard work! The Lean phase is great to tightening that tummy! And I love it! The Lean for Life is great for the variety, and I have personally found that it really changes things up with my body. My body hasn't gotten used to it yet. I've been on it for just over 3 weeks and I'm just barely doing the first routine I started with. Its so great! I love this whole program!

m5oleary- I am also very HAPPY for you and your weightloss!! Way to prove to yourself that you could do it and not give up on your goals. I was actually on a plateau for 4 months (Jan- April) and I kept telling myself that I would not give up, I had come so far, and I knew my body could do more. So, I changed things up like you did, and then saw some great results. Keep up the great work!!!

Iceprincess-- how you doing girl? You still loving the program? I bet with your C25K cardio program and the CE you are getting so toned!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    I am just wondering if anyone is just doing ChaLean Extreme and not doing the extra cardio or extra workouts. I would like to hear what the results are like for those strictly doing the program!

meganpaschall- Sorry I didn't see your question until today... I don't think I'm much help. I don't strictly do the ChaLean Extreme program because I am a cardio girl and have to have cardio in my workout week as well. Plus, I am trying to get back into running longer distances, so I usually do that 3 times a week, and do C/E 3 times a week. Hope you find someone who can help answer your question better than I did!! Good luck! It is a good program, and the program does come with 2 cardio workouts. So, if you do follow the program strictly you will be doing cardio probably 1-2 times a week with her program schedule.
  • Iceprincessk25
    I'm still loving it. It's funny.....I know all the stuff for weight training and being a personal trainer but I'm just not very good at doing it for myself. That's why I like the beachbody programs. THey do all the work for you.....and all you have to do is push play.

I haven't run in a week and decided to go last night and woke up with my heel killing me. I had a huge battle with plantar fasciitis a couple months ago so I'm pretty irritated that my heel started to get angry again this morning.

I'm doing Burn 1 today when I get home from teaching. :happy:
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    I just finished Lean Circuit 1..........oh my god. it's a killer !
  • Lisa0711
    I think I'm going to start the Lean circuit tomorrow. I am SOO excited!! I haven't lost anything in a while, and was getting discouraged. So I changed my diet and really watched my carb intake (I've been known to really put a hurtin on them..) and the weight has been falling off! I've stayed within my limits, and it's helped wonders. Friday I weighed 198.. this morning 192.6! Given some of the higher weight was water weight.. I had gotten lower than 198, but kept staying right around than number and decided enough was enough. I needed to do something for summer.. it's close and I at least wanna be in the 180s. It's almost like this change in diet is like the drop you see when you initally start working out and exercising. I am so excited I'm in the lower 190s! I haven't seen that number in so long.

crking - is it really? I'm nervous now. lol But I know this whole series is very challenging.. but I like a good challenge. It's funny though - the hardest exercise for me to do is the slow pushups. I can do a bunch fast but slow about kills me. I'll be glad to drop even more weight and make them easier! :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    My 2nd Burn 1 is done-zo! I already moved up in some of the weights so that was encouraging!

The slow push ups are a killer!
This discussion has been closed.