What do you put on your baked potato?

Options
I am going to have a baked potato for lunch. Normally I would load it with EVERYTHING, cheese, bacon, ham, sour cream, chives, butter, sauteed onions etc.

I do not like plain potatoes at all. What are some healthy but delicious alternatives for toppings?

Also, is it okay to eat a baked potato like a couple times a week or once a week? I've been craving them lately!

Replies

• runningwoodpecker
    Options
    I just had a baked potato for dinner! I always top with tuna mixed with some tangy mayonnaise, black pepper, cayenne pepper and some red and green bell pepper. YUM!

baked potatoes are usually my cheat meal for the week as I have 3 very small potatoes and they can add up to 400 calories alone without any toppings.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's nothing unhealthy about any of the ingredients you listed
  • teksurv
    teksurv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I top mine with broccoli/cauliflower, sometimes grilled chicken and LOTS of salsa. Healthy tasty and filling.
  • mrslehan2013
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I LOVE baked potatoes. Go buy some elephant garlic. You roast it and squeeze it into the baked potato and it's amazing. Very light, mild garlic flavor and gives the potato a little more moisture/creaminess that's missing if you don't load it with butter/sour cream. SO GOOD.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Baked Beans and a little cheese
    Tuna, mayo and corn
    laughing cow cheese
  • mrslehan2013
    Options
    I used to put like 1/4c sour cream and like 5 or 6 pieces of bacon and 2 pieces of ham...and I only have a calorie limit of 1350 but I try to stay around 1200.And I plan on having a nice dinner tonight with my fiance, so I really need to be careful with what I'm eating today.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Also, I have at least 2 baked potatoes a week and I put everything on it most of the time. 1/4c cheese, 1 tsp butter, 1 T sour cream and 1/2 T real bacon pieces only add up to 166 calories.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd top it with all of that. With a little moderation, there isn't too much calorie content there. Just use real bacon, not those crummy bacon bit things...
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    avocado, horseradish and salsa
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    A pat of butter and an oz of cheese. :happy:

ETA: I don't know why you wouldn't eat baked potatoes if you're craving them.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do half a pack of Green Giant broccoli cheese steam packs or veggie chili is good too.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, salsa, chili (esp wendy's... love a baked potato and chili from wendy's...).
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Oh, I also like to toss a basted egg on a baked potato. Fried would be fine too but I prefer the consistency of the yolk when it's basted. Now I want a potato...
  • laylalobe
    Options
    I love to pour olive oil mixed with chopped garlic;)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Pepper, a little salt and cottage cheese.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    1- butter

or

2 - tuna, sweet corn and a LITTLE mayo

or

3- baked beans and sprinkle some cheese
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I used to put like 1/4c sour cream and like 5 or 6 pieces of bacon and 2 pieces of ham...and I only have a calorie limit of 1350 but I try to stay around 1200.And I plan on having a nice dinner tonight with my fiance, so I really need to be careful with what I'm eating today.

So just put less toppings. 2 tbsp of sour cream = 60 calories, a few bacon bits is next to nothing. A small to medium potato is 200 cals or less.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1% sour cream is only 20 calories for 2 tablespoons. sour cream alone or combine with salsa. either way not a lot of additonal calories. I personally like mine plain though.