What do you put on your baked potato?

Options

Replies

• Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Green onions, roasted garlic thats mashed, some greek yogurt (plain), and pepper. Sometimes like actual roasted vegetbles (think stuff found in a fajita skillet), and just loaded with all the good for you.

Potato is like the blank canvas of AWESOME.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Salsa and franks red hot....YUM
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    salsa, tons of salsa. or pico.
  • azavala78
    azavala78 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love mine with salsa, a little bit of lemon, and salt! mmm......
  • shortmama28
    shortmama28 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt i have heard is a good substitute for sour cream on a baked potatoe.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I had half a baked potato last night with half a tbsp of butter and some salt. Loved it and it only had 200 cal. You can still use the "unhealthy" stuff and enjoy your potato.
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cheese, brocolli, sour cream, salt & pepper

Another alternative if to fix that potato craving is to cube them and toss them in EVOO with some salt and pepper, roast until crispy and delicious. :) mmm, now i want roasted potatos
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had half a baked potato last night with half a tbsp of butter and some salt. Loved it and it only had 200 cal. You can still used the "unhealthy" stuff and enjoy your potato.

exactly-very true! I made mine loaded (sweet potatoes) last night and it was about 240calories total (for two halves) with chicken, bacon and smothered with cheese :) I love finding healthy meals that make you feel like you are splurging!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I put hot sauce on it.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    MORE POTATO.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also like to toss a basted egg on a baked potato. Fried would be fine too but I prefer the consistency of the yolk when it's basted. Now I want a potato...

This with the previous post of avocado, horseradish and salsa made me hungry =)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I am going to have a baked potato for lunch. Normally I would load it with EVERYTHING, cheese, bacon, ham, sour cream, chives, butter, sauteed onions etc.

I do not like plain potatoes at all. What are some healthy but delicious alternatives for toppings?

Also, is it okay to eat a baked potato like a couple times a week or once a week? I've been craving them lately!

You can still use some of those toppings, just be more sensible about it. There's nothing wrong with chives, they're an herb. Load up on chives. Skip the bacon and ham, as it's loaded with fat and sodium. Use a SPRINKLING of lowfat cheddar cheese with some steamed broccoli. Use about a Tbsp of light or fat free sour cream instead of a 1/2 cup of the full fat stuff (as was my custom before MFP). The onions are still okay, too, but I would sautee them in a little EVOO instead of butter, or steam them instead of sauteeing.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Everything.
  • rachel8993
    Options
    baked spuds with cottage cheese any flavour or tuna and lemon mayo yum cheesy beans with low fat cheese although low fat cheese isn't very nice on its own but ok in beans
  • Christy175
    Christy175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato for me! With a pat of brummel and brown, dash of lawrys seasoned salt, and pinch of brown sugar.
  • bushokie
    bushokie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    salsa..love it
  • childrenrus
    childrenrus Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love baked potatoes or as we say in the UK 'jacket potatoes'!.I love them with baked beans, cheese & bacon + salad or tuna sweet corn with low fat creme fraiche + salad :)
  • Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Top a baked potato with homemade refried beans or black beans, lettuce, tomato, a litte cheese, salsa and light sour cream.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Light sour cream, salt and sometimes chives and/or dill weed.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I also like a baked sweet potato with a tiny bit of real butter, crushed pineapple, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and chopped walnuts.