Fasting to loose 10 pounds

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Instead of fasting, try a healthy diet designed to help you kick the cravings. For example, the South Beach diet has an introductory phase were you cut out nearly all sugars and carbs, to kind of hit the reset button. After two weeks you slowly add back in whole grains and fruits, so it is a very healthy diet.

Whatever choice you make, start by throwing out all the junk. Your home should be a safe house, where you don't have temptations sitting around. When you are able to handle sweets responsibly, you can have them outside of your home.

For your spine, look into joining a gym with a pool. Just floating will help relieve some of your pain and pretty much any movement in water will burn calories.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    Look into intermittent fasting (IF) and set your macros below maintenance cals. I know a few people that said they love IF and claim their energy levels go up once they adjust to it.

THANK YOU =)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate your attitude and not becoming defensive, so thank you. I edited my post but for some reason it didn't stick.

As someone else said, motivation usually doesn't just happen. You have to START. Fake it until you make it. Make smart decisions for the next 10 minutes. Repeat. Repeat again.

You've got a lot of can'ts in your vocabulary. A lot of excuses that are pretending to be as reasons. Maybe you just don't want it bad enough yet. That doesn't make you "bad" or a "failure"... but it might mean you're not ready to do what's necessary. I hope that changes soon for you. It will occur if the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change.

You're young, smart, have a lot ahead of you. You mentioned others that have been successful with this approach. I'm not sure how you define success. If your only goal is to lose 10 - then yes, maybe you can have success with this approach. If it's to get into a groove that can help you lose 100... this is not the way. I really think it comes down to how you view eating and increasing your activity. That's my problem with your scenario - not will it hurt you to do it (No, it won't for a few days). My problem with it is that it continues an "easy" approach instead of what you need to go the long haul.

I'm getting off and packing up my soap box now. :-)
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I really don't think this is the best idea. I can sympathize. I understand the frustration as I am slightly over 300lbs right now and just reached my heaviest. However, I finally got back on MFP a week and a half ago and stuck to my (dietician, internist, and reproductive endocrinologist) recommended regime of 1200 calories and I've already lost 12lbs. That's a very successful and reasonable first week for someone my size. I also have PCOS and insulin resistance, and am a vegetarian, so it's no easy task to maintain balance with 1200 calories, but it can certainly be done and it is far more sustainable than fasting. I am currently not exercising at all. I am waiting until my two week mark because the exercise will inadvertently cause water retention and gain that, while healthy and temporary, I am not yet prepared to face.

I'm an observant Jew and I do religious fasts for high holidays, but those don't last long enough to lose 10lbs (a mere 24 hours)--I can't really think of any religiously-sanctioned fasts that would be that extensive and most would make morbidly obese people exempt from such fasting because of the health risks, so I don't think that's a comparison to use.

You're really just going to gain back that 10 and a few more and feel even crappier. Just readjust your calories or speak to a dietician and find your golden spot. You won't feel better until you find a way to lose weight that keeps you accountable and is sustainable.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what the question is. You seem to have made up your mind before posting.

kinda wanted to hear from tohers who have done this

OK - I have not because I think it is a bad idea. Your diet will lack in protein, fats and essential nutrients and you will not learn good eating habits.

well thank you, but I am not planning on doing this for long, if it takes more then a week I will stop alos I was planning on eating TONS of frruits and veggies, I now people who do this to detox, also are body is able to go through small times of not eating, we used to have to many years ago

First off - your body detoxes itself. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

And second - you used to have to not eat?
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    I am not sure what the question is. You seem to have made up your mind before posting.

And instead you found many people telling you what a horrible idea it is.

Things that make you go "hmmm".

the majority of people in Germany thought Hitler was great... things that make you go hmmmmm

LOL! Wow, you really should refrain from using historical references you clearly don't understand.

maybe you should take a history class, if you don't think Hitler wasn't well loved in Germany, he pulled them out of a great depression, and what you think he killed all those people him self? deerr
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I do appreciate your attitude and not becoming defensive, so thank you. I edited my post but for some reason it didn't stick.

As someone else said, motivation usually doesn't just happen. You have to START. Fake it until you make it. Make smart decisions for the next 10 minutes. Repeat. Repeat again.

You've got a lot of can'ts in your vocabulary. A lot of excuses that are pretending to be as reasons. Maybe you just don't want it bad enough yet. That doesn't make you "bad" or a "failure"... but it might mean you're not ready to do what's necessary. I hope that changes soon for you. It will occur if the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change.

You're young, smart, have a lot ahead of you. You mentioned others that have been successful with this approach. I'm not sure how you define success. If your only goal is to lose 10 - then yes, maybe you can have success with this approach. If it's to get into a groove that can help you lose 100... this is not the way. I really think it comes down to how you view eating and increasing your activity. That's my problem with your scenario - not will it hurt you to do it (No, it won't for a few days). My problem with it is that it continues an "easy" approach instead of what you need to go the long haul.

QFT - not trying to be mean but I recognize the tone because I used to really be bad about this.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I fast as part of my spiritual life, but I never do it to lose weight. It won't be a real loss, it's better to analyze & take stock of how it isn't working for you now & change that.
    Have you thought of a diabetic diet?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    At your starting weight you can eat quite a bit and still lose. No need to fast!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

OK - I have not because I think it is a bad idea. Your diet will lack in protein, fats and essential nutrients and you will not learn good eating habits.

well thank you, but I am not planning on doing this for long, if it takes more then a week I will stop alos I was planning on eating TONS of frruits and veggies, I now people who do this to detox, also are body is able to go through small times of not eating, we used to have to many years ago

There is nothing to detox. A week is long enough to have a negative impact on your LBM, hormones and health,
  • PikaKnight
    Options

the majority of people in Germany thought Hitler was great... things that make you go hmmmmm

LOL! Wow, you really should refrain from using historical references you clearly don't understand.

maybe you should take a history class, if you don't think Hitler wasn't well loved in Germany, he pulled them out of a great depression, and what you think he killed all those people him self? deerr

Stop otherwise you are going to make this a political debate and how is that going to help you?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

And thank you for proving my point that you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, comparing people who disagree with your view on a fruit and vegetable fast to Nazi Germany is a wee bit over the top and makes you look like a complete fool.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It may be beneficial for you to get a health check-up before you start, as another user mentioned thyroid issues. It's always good to get baseline numbers - that way, you can see it as a starting point. Hopefully you are healthy, but the doctor may have some things to tell you that will make all this seem more real and urgent to you. You have to have a large enough reason to resist bingeing, resist all those little treats and donuts ... if you find out your numbers are off and you are heading toward developing weight-related health issues, it may be the wake-up call you need to make the changes you know you need to make.

So, after the physical check-up, you need to face the emotional side you have to bingeing and over-eating. Why do you overeat? You know you are not happy at the weight you are at, and you know how to fix it, but you don't. Just like an addict knows their addiction is negatively impacting their life, they continue because they are trying to fill some need and they've made it a habitual part of their life. I suggest starting a blog and really starting to investigate what draws you to overeat/binge, how it makes you feel, and why it keeps being an issue in your life. Also, list the ways your life would be better if you made the changes you need to. Refer back to that list when you get urges to overeat and keep those reasons fresh in your mind.

With a lot of weight to lose, I know the desperation of wanting to see a change and hoping that will motivate you to stick with the plan... and it may. Certainly a short-term reduction in calories, staying away from trigger foods and filling up on fruits and veggies won't hurt you and may help you get your mind right, but because you've had trouble in the past with the losing/gaining cycle, it may be just another crash diet that leaves you even less prepared to make the life-long commitment to your health which is really the only true way to get you healthy and where you need to be.

Motivation comes and goes... We all have streaks of working out consistently, we have fantastic weeks of great eating and we're happy with ourselves. The next week, we may have parties/birthdays/social events, we may be too booked to keep our schedules straight, too exhausted to stay on point and we slip a little bit. It's up to us at that time to realize that EACH DECISION we make, every day, is reflected in our body. It's not about what happened last week or this morning or last year, it's about the next decision you make being healthy or unhealthy. The past is the past - it's gone. The only thing you can work on is the future.

If you break it down like that, it won't be so daunting.

With your limited mobility, promise yourself that you will do 20 minutes a day of whatever you're capable of - whether that be walking, seated exercises, lifting light weights ... whatever is okay with your doctor and within your limits. Don't push yourself at first, just commit to doing this every day and make it a habit. You won't always feel like doing it... tough. You made a promise to yourself for your health and you need to fulfill it, just like you would try to fulfill a promise to a dear friend. And those days where you push through and do it REGARDLESS are some of the most rewarding days because, hey, you just conquered your worst enemy - yourself. Then you have something to be proud of, and motivation comes that much easier.

One step at a time, love.

Best of luck.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Yeah. This is exactly like Nazi Germany.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Godwin... ? Godwin, is that you... ?

:-D
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

lol yea my problem is I don't want it bad enough right now and thats what is scaring me, I cant see an end to were I will take this lol, I am going down a very destructive road and I figure this is simple, just dam it only eat fruits and veggies, and let this get me started, if after a week I don't loos 10 pounds I will stop
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    funnycat184.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Votes that this is a bad idea: 40
    Votes that this is a good idea: 1 (the OP)

OP: do the math.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

Yeah. This is exactly like Nazi Germany.

not my point, she was making the assumption that since the majority of people are against fasting that means something, I was just pointing out that the majority is not always right
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the tough love but with that much to lose you aren't trying very hard if the scale is going up. 90% of weight loss is about your food intake, exercise plays a very small role and is more to increase your fitness and maintain lean muscle than to aid in weight loss. Set your budget properly, stay in it by weighing and measuring your food intake and the weight will come off. Fasting is not a healthy answer to weight loss and you won't maintain the loss if you aren't following a proper diet that will do that for you. Time to suck it up and get real. Do you want to lose weight or not? There are no quick fixes or easy answers.

ouch, the truth hurts