Fasting to loose 10 pounds

Options

Replies

• changejen2013
    Options
    In the past 18 days I have lost 10lbs simply restricting myself to a 1200 calorie diet with NO exercise.
    Figure I'd lose some of the fat on top of my muscles before I strengthen and define them. :-)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So if you succeed you are going to come on here and post "Face!" basically, but if you fail..you will just go sulk?

How about you come back when it doesn't work, re-read everything everyone put here and give it a try. then when you actually start succeeding from that..you can come back again and write...Thanks.

because I dont want too hahahaha

And people wonder why others just get snarky and seemingly unhelpful :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    can you really not eat for 10 day?
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    o.k. So got on the scale today and it was up 2 more pounds, I am once again the heaveist I have been EVER and I pushed that numer up too =( I am not fare away from 300 and thats scaring the shnit out of me!

I just seemed to have lost all my desapline, and its hard to work out cause my back injury (I still do as much as I can) soo I have to do something here so I was thinking about doing a fruit and veggie fast until I loose 10 pounds just to get this dame ball rolling, any body eles done this before. I am thinking it would only take like a week, I loose weight fast

I feel your frustration and I know you're upset. Make sure you have a good group of friends to support you here in MFP. Maybe people with the same weight loss goals. Stay positive and stay strong. You have to do this for yourself and the people that love you.
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hear your frustrations! :grumble:
    I have no will power, I keep eating, I do work out so I am maintaining :noway:

I do have goals loose weight, I am also at my heaviest :sick:

I am also thinking of doing one week liquid juice fruit & vegetable - let me know how it goes & feel free to add me as friend!
  • Kynzmomma09
    Kynzmomma09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How long are you going to do this fast? I can't imagine a day or two - or even three - would be particularly bad for you. Any more than that you'll start running into nutritional problems.

Unitl I lost 10 pounds which for me is really easy so I was thinking about a week, I know tons of people who fast for religous porpeses and have been fine, also I know people who fast to detox there bodys my mother once detoxed for 40 days, she lost like 50 pounds, that was intence though

you say u can lose weight fast, so why do u need to do a Fast to lose it? Just be more disaplined with ur food choices...eat more veggies and stay at ur calorie intake. Good luck with whatever u choose :)
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    All right well thank you for everyones input....

me not taking your advise doent mean I dont appreceate it, thank you.

I am going to try this, and if I have favorable results and it causes me to get on this weight loss journy again I am going to post a BIG OL I did it post lol, other wise bychance I will slink away into the back round with my 300 pound self lol time will tell

There is no diet "kickstart" in the world that will get anyone on the path to losing 100lbs safely and consistently. Fact.
    You didn't put 10lbs on in a week - you are not going to lose them forever in a week. Fact.

If you do not have the self-discipline to stick to a moderated diet, how do you expect to stick to an astringent fast?
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight fast all you need to is stick to a calorie deficit. No need for any crazy stuff. A bit of exercise will help too

Exercise is really hard cause I have a spine injury, it gets better as I loos weight, the problem I am haivng is I am trying to do this the conventional way but i JUST KEEP RAISING IN NUMBER, SO i AM THINKING IF i START THIS OFF WITH SOMETHING EXTREM IT WILL FINALLY CLICK AGAIN, 10 POUNDS FOR ME ISNT ALL THAT MUCH

(sorry I didnt realise I had caps lock on hahah any way 10 pounds really isnt much for me, I have lost that in a week before with a normal diet and exercise plan

I usually have to start off with something a little "extreme" myself to get myself in the frame of mind to lose weight . Fruits and veggies are wonderful, filling, and as long as you're not putting too much salt on them, you should do great! I've done a fruit and veggie diet myself (I don't consider it a fast as I've done those too and there is a WORLD of difference) and as for feeling good while you're doing it, stick to as many raw fruits as you can. Some veggies are better for you slightly cooked and some are best raw. If you' re overcooking them, you will feel drained and your body will be telling you to stop before you really intended. Good luck!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think the real issue here is that she doesn't want to stop eating. She figures if she eats nothing but fruits and veggies, but a ton if them, it will let her still gorge. Listen to what the good people have said and get discipline. Or don't. But get the appropriate nutrition either way.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but I do wonder, if you have the discipline to stick to a veg/fruit fast, why don't you have the discipline to eat a a proper calorie deficit?

It seems to me that the fast would be a heck of a lot harder to stick to than the deficit. It would be for me.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Why did you post the topic if you didn't want advice? It sounds like you've already made up your mind, which is fine but you're wasting peoples time on the forums if you don't listen and justify your actions. A lot of people on this site have had the amazing success you're striving for so why not listen?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I am going to try this, and if I have favorable results and it causes me to get on this weight loss journy again I am going to post a BIG OL I did it post lol, other wise bychance I will slink away into the back round with my 300 pound self lol time will tell

We're mostly lol'ing at the fact that you want to try something that has already failed for you. If it worked before, you wouldn't be here. But have it. It's your motivation you're killing, not ours.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If your weight gain is due to your back injury or your back issues are preventing you from losing weight try asking your doctor to refer you for solutions like, medical weight loss, nutritionist, physical therapy and etc. See if he can help you come up with solutions within that framework that way they will always be solutions that consider that first.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey! So here's what I'm thinking...and let me start off by saying I don't exercise... :wink:

I used to consume 2500+ calories a day and I have a pretty small frame (5'2"). I LOVE food. When I say LOVE, I mean I will eat just about anything that is edible. Well, maybe not everything...

I knew losing weight was going to be tough because I don't exercise and I love food. So then I decided, I either need to start exercising more or reduce how many calories I consume a day. Or both. And well, I'm a bit lazy so I wasn't going to do both. I can only do one thing at a time... Did I mention I'm lazy? :tongue:

I love math so I knew counting calories would be a breeze for me. I reduced my calories to 1800 for a couple days. Boy was that tough! I realized I could eat more if I chose the right kind of food. Drinking water and tea really helped me feel "full" when it wasn't time to eat yet. Then I reduced my number to 1500, and then 1330...and now I'm 1225 (to avoid going into starvation mode). It took me a couple weeks to get my body to adjust to 1225, but now it's actually pretty easy! Today, I actually didn't consume enough calories, and I found that i wasn't very hungry. I treated myself to some yummy homemade eggrolls though!

So give your body time to adjust. Stick to it and you'll start to see the change! :smile:
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! Obviously you really think this is what you need to do.. Even though everyone else is telling you how to. If this is what you need to get motivated then looks like you already know whatcha gata do!

Buuuut, im just ganna guess... You gained weight from over eating and eating junk food... So now you'r going to be so strict and eat foods you don't like as much, which will make you feel deprived aaaand you'll probably binge.. JUST A WARNING!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    40B6ABF8-88BF-45FD-A832-D51D8E67893D-831-000000D07CD33F1C.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I do appreciate your attitude and not becoming defensive, so thank you. I edited my post but for some reason it didn't stick.

As someone else said, motivation usually doesn't just happen. You have to START. Fake it until you make it. Make smart decisions for the next 10 minutes. Repeat. Repeat again.

You've got a lot of can'ts in your vocabulary. A lot of excuses that are pretending to be as reasons. Maybe you just don't want it bad enough yet. That doesn't make you "bad" or a "failure"... but it might mean you're not ready to do what's necessary. I hope that changes soon for you. It will occur if the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change.

You're young, smart, have a lot ahead of you. You mentioned others that have been successful with this approach. I'm not sure how you define success. If your only goal is to lose 10 - then yes, maybe you can have success with this approach. If it's to get into a groove that can help you lose 100... this is not the way. I really think it comes down to how you view eating and increasing your activity. That's my problem with your scenario - not will it hurt you to do it (No, it won't for a few days). My problem with it is that it continues an "easy" approach instead of what you need to go the long haul.

I'm getting off and packing up my soap box now. :-)

lol yea my problem is I don't want it bad enough right now and thats what is scaring me, I cant see an end to were I will take this lol, I am going down a very destructive road and I figure this is simple, just dam it only eat fruits and veggies, and let this get me started, if after a week I don't loos 10 pounds I will stop

Speaking from experience, this is sounding a little blamey and she is already blaming herself enough. To the OP, I would try reframing your post as a question, go ahead and ask it again in Motivation or some other board and make sure to ask for people with experience with spinal issues or at least some other debilitating injury to weigh in. I guarantee you, you will get more focused answers, probably more compassion, and if not at least any kick in the pants answers will be coming from people in the same boat as you, so you can take their advice to heart.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    40B6ABF8-88BF-45FD-A832-D51D8E67893D-831-000000D07CD33F1C.jpg

Just mean. Please re-read that this is a person with Spinal Injuries and the "just do it" mentality could very well lead to furthering her injury and further complicating her chances to heal herself. Please be responsible while reading a persons post and choosing how you will answer.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

If this doesn't work for you, don't slink. Come back, ask for advice and take it. Find people who've made some of the same mistakes and had the same problems, make friends with them, and use that support. Perseverance will win out eventually. Look at success stories.
  • whovian88
    whovian88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is going to be some tough love. I can honestly say I've been where you've been. Gorging yourself and not realizing how bad and helpless you've actually become. But seriously, if you have 0 motivation for wanting to make yourself better (ex: eating the correct foods and following strict proportion sizes), how do you expect to eat nothing but tons of fruit and veggies? I know when I was in the similar situation I was looking for ever quick fix I could find. Then one day it just hit me, the motivation to want to do better, to be better for myself. Another huge factor in motivation is support. Not only supporting yourself in your choices you make daily but with people around you who love you and want the best for you. I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for my husband. Always sends me motivational "go for it" or "you can do it, I believe in you." However, you can't expect others to do this for you 100% because you will believe whatever you tell yourself and your actions will respond to that. Motivation will not happen for you once you lose the 10 pounds because then it is already to late for you and you've done screwed up. Motivation NEEDS to happen DAY 1. Even if you only loose 0.01 of a pound that is what needs to happen for you. If you're not motivated to start now then you will never be motivated in the long run, which will help you the most given your situation. I feel for you and hope something clicks for you to get it together. Best of luck!