WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    sunshine from Norway:flowerforyou: - I started MFP June 27th 2012! This is the time frame in which I have lost 50 Lbs!
    My kids have Norwegian roots! Would like to visit, but would not tolerate the cold!

I am going to try today to read the posts. :bigsmile: Once I start work, it will even be more difficult to keep up!:sad:

One of my goals is to reset my sleep schedule. My DH has asked me to help him get up at 0600 during the work week.

I am not working as late as before, so this is a chamge for me! Trying to be in bed before 10 pm and then up at 0600!

So, I don't know how long it takes to reset this clock,but I am going to do this!:drinker:

Hope ya'all have a sunny healthy Sunday!:wink:

LindaS aka Sundanceb:heart:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi to all my best fitness pals. I’m checking in early today; lots to do. DH took the kids to church and let me sleep in. I was totally wiped from yesterday.:yawn: This has got to go! It is so frustrating! :grumble: It’s cold here, well in the 20s, so actually normal for us. We just got spoiled with the warm weather. Today I need to drink lots of water to flush the taco bell out and get going on the textbook, plus pay bills. I feel really overwhelmed with the textbook which may be why I haven’t actually done anything with it yet!

DD#2s spicy apple coffeecake was pretty good and only 204 calories per serving, so that is very reasonable. She’s off doing her penance at goodwill right now. Today is homemade chicken pot pie yum I love that dish, but I’ll have to put it in the recipes to see how many calories that one has! I also plan to lift weights and do about 20 minutes on the wii.

Sally: hope you got some good rest last night!

Gail: your yard art project sounds like fun! We keep debating if we get new bedroom furniture if we should get a king or another queen. When we sleep in a king it feels luxurious, but we don’t cuddle like in our queen. Imposed cuddling???:blushing:

Jen: glad things are starting to look up at work. It’s nice to have a boss who is perceptive and ….oh what’s the word?....pre-something…acts on something right away. All I can come up with is preoccupied LOL and that’s not it! Thanks for your kind words about being patient!

Lynn: eating back calories is a personal choice and many of us here have our own opinions. My thought is that if you are only burning 200-300 cals you don’t need to eat them back, especially if your daily goal is pretty high (like mine is 1800). But if you burn more than that, say 600 for example, you probably should so your body has enough fuel to stay strong. Basically it comes down to do what works for you.

Linda Sundance: hallelujah! 50 pounds!!!!!! That will be so awesome! :flowerforyou: What will you do to reward yourself? Shall I start calling you in the morning? I’m up by 5:30 latest ….ooops that would be way early for you!:yawn:

Barbie: your day reminds me of a shirt I saw once that said “let the dog out, let the dog in. Let the dog out let the dog in….”about 100 times! I usually can resist the rare chips I buy and those types of items. I think I was craving the salt because I found myself licking my fingers! Well, salt isn’t a problem after yesterday LOL:bigsmile:

Michele: my cleaning went like this…clean 10 minutes, sleep for 20, clean 13 minutes, sleep for 10! I grew up in Hawaii and the water had fluoride in it, so that’s probably why I have never had a cavity. It’s not genetic; both my parents teeth were awful.

Katla: what a nice dentist you had to tell you your cavities were not your fault! That’s a good guy/gal! My kids had horrible teeth when they came from Russia; nine cavities between the 2 of them and DD#2 had 2 teeth that were rotted below the gum line. One was so bad the bone underneath had dissolved! BLeh!!!! She knew it too…she’d point to her mouth and make a face like something smelled bad and it did! After a couple years of good nutrition, the bone grew back. She ended up with so few bottom teeth that she has plenty of room for her wisdom teeth! I guess there is always a rainbow if you look hard enough.:wink:

Rebel; good for you go start the 5k training!!!!! Glad you succeeded in your own fruit/veggie challenge LOL

Sunshine: gingerbread caramels ? Now that sounds yummy (of course it does I like everything!). I love the thought of you draping your panties on your son’s head. Now that’s a good bribery picture!!! What soup recipe do you want? Last night’s soup was navy bean and ham. So easy. 1 pound navy beans, 1 big onion, the hambone from our new years ham, some celery, 2 bay leaves, garlic salt, loads of pepper, 6 cups water. Simmer for 2 hours then enjoy!!! I buy the dried beans so you have to soak them overnight first. Also the ham bone was already cooked. The meat just fell off it.

LindaC: you just keep doing awesome and meeting your goals! Proud of you!

DeeDee: I am sure both you and your tiara will be glowing today! Enjoy!

JB: you are so right when you say lots of produce and focus on nutrition! I take the fish oil, and recently added vitamin C and B since I have been sick and I’m still so darned tired.

OK gotta pull on my big girl panties now and go figure out what the h*** I am supposed to be doing with this textbook. I sent another chapter of the testbank last night and find that is my comfort zone, so I keep working on it instead of the other. OK, gulp, time to get going. Make it a bright Sunday even if you have freezing fog, pouring rain, pelting snow and ice, or nice sunshine. Take care, Meg:drinker:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun!!Cold her-14.
    Enjoy your day!!
    hugs
    jane
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Just up long enough to bump.

Tigress
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Deedee
    Yep everyone needs to find what works for them
    Enjoy Star Bucks

Sunshine
    I'm beating you for cold -23 at 2:30 pm and high winds so cold cold very cold.

JB
    That was very well written JB but then again you are so good with words.

Linda S
    Your body will adjust just give it time.

Meg
    That was nice of hubby to let you sleep in.
    And bring the girls to church.
    See your making use of the wii.
    I wouldn't go to a bigger bed if it meant less cuddles no way.

Well having a crappy day up way to early and mindless eating. I'm sure wii won't love me tomorrow. I'm almost at my calorie count and it's only 3:15 lol. Oh well I have chicken to bake for supper. That with a salad I guess.

Back tomorrow.

LInda C.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy and peaceful Sunday everyone. I did Renny’s F&V challenge again yesterday and have this amazing amount of energy this morning that the dogs are going to benefit from very shortly – right after I finish this post and my coffee. I posted a loss, but it may disappear over the week, maybe I need to change my weigh in day to mid-week to get a more reasonable mid-line in the weight loss curve.

I went shopping again, some clothes but not a lot, but found some lovely leather boots in a cinnamon brown that I have been looking for a long time. And I bought some new workout shoes. I noticed on the treadmill that my old ones were wearing out and I could feel some pressure in places I shouldn’t. And some nice bright metallic blue IZOD luggage for the upcoming trip. My old luggage is pretty heavy and every ounce counts on KLM airlines (as well as in life).

DeeDee – great on the 5 K registration. I’m sure that will move the plateau. Oh, you have snow – obviously the batch I sent you arrived – lol.

Nancy – We’re watching what you do with the baking smells in your car – just think of us watching over your shoulder and you’ll leave it alone.

M – congratulations on the loss, terrific! I don’t know about the sleepiness, after doing Renny’s challenge, I really think it has a lot to do with what I put in my mouth. But I am blaming the cold for my rotten broken and chipped fingernails. Oh thank you for the laugh about your friend having to watch Oprah. Happy Birthday!
    I just read the next post about hair loss, I’ve been worried as well but I’m always over on my protein (yuck maybe it’s just hormone reduction for me). Regardless, I’m going to do the protein shakes again, just in case.

Lucy – glad to hear your bosses listened without judgment. That should make your vacation doubly restful.

Robin – I may not forget the scale but I will try to remember to put a rainbow cloak on before I look at the results. Remember in the interview, you are interviewing them as well to determine if the job will fit YOU. Confidence above all.

Lentigogirl – I think Robin did the typo consciously, I know I do.

Glenda – what amazing willpower at the shower. And the decorations sounded beautiful (and you’re looking for more white this weekend – lol).

JaneH – OMG, avoid the frustration you don’t need – do the posts in Word first! And Happy Birthday to you too.

JB – I don’t care if it was a promo shot, your hair is great!

Meg – If it were me I would have had a 2 word answer to the chips binge– salt craving. Wow, you must have been the ultimate Crest kid – look ma no cavities at 53!

Welcome BarbaraBlossy2, welcome Wisconsinboog, Owl and Joy, Sara from TO and Ohio Mom

DeeDee – someone posted a laugh challenge (sorry can’t remember who) but I have to admit that I’ve laughed three times reading this post today

Tigress – congratulations on your son. Sorry to hear you’re under the weather, get well soon,

JaneH – thanks for the 4th chuckle today (Famous Dave’s BBQ). Even posting a turkey burger at 1000 calories makes me think they are out of touch with reality.

Jen – positive thoughts going your way, work stress is difficult and don’t beat yourself up about telling your truth. Think of it as an open and frank discussion, not throwing someone under the bus.

Linda Sundance – going back to work – YES. And the big 50 lost –BIG YES. You have been so committed to this that you deserve a standing O.

OK, time to get the puppies out there for a walk in the cold sunshine. Happy day to all whether you are walking, working, waiting, wavering, or weathering the storm.

Lila from Fruitvale in the Kootenays, BC CANADA
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon (from the West Coast) of Canada, sunny Victoria, although around freezing. The fruit and veggie challenge went well yesterday. It seems that more people are interested in participating each week, so that is motivating for me as well. For so many of us it is a challenge to incorporate enough fruits and veggies in our daily diets. Obviously, vegans and vegetarians would not have such a challenge. Today and every day I hope to ensure I consume high nutrient foods and be mindful of what I take in.

The scale was down 1/2 lb this morning. I will log my next loss once it becomes a whole one :wink:

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all newbies.

ttyl
    Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • KNAMsMum
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes and you're not kidding when you say you are a chatty bunch! That's right up my alley!

Hey Sally - So I made my first soup in the vitamix today and it was terrible - poured it down the drain. I think I put in too many dried herbs - I wasn't measuring and just poured some in my hands. Anyway it was pretty awful and I had to laugh! What else can you do!

Went swimming for 38 minutes this am and then did 10 minutes of stretching in the pool - always feels so good once I have done it.
    My Mum who is 88+ goes every morning - keeps her limber. It is very inspiring.

Now I need to prep for school tomorrow and spend sometime with DH.

Have a great week everyone!

Sara,
    Freezing cold Toronto, ON Canada
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    Hello all - I've been here each day but haven't posted for a little while.

My dad turned 89 yesterday and HE HAS NEVER HAD A CAVITY!!!! I asked my dentist about that as my dad has always criticized me for not having good teeth. His answer was it was nothing my dad did but likely as he lived on various farms, the well water he drank as a child naturally had a lot of fluoride in it. He said another proof of that is that my dad's teeth are naturally a bit yellower---another sign of lots of fluoride according to this dentist. Can't prove it by me. My dad did always brush a lot and use dental floss but apparently well water started him out right.

Update: 142.8 walking miles on the Virtual Walk Across America. Only walking, no biking or running. Walking, walking, walking. :bigsmile:

We're getting quiet slow snowfall today. Lovely but it will be time to get out the shovel tomorrow. :noway: My shoulders aren't pleased with that prospect.

I went to Costco Saturday to pick up some of my usual things---frozen strawberries, and frozen 3-berry mix and surprise. They weren't in the freezer case. There were dark sweet cherries and pomegranate seeds in their place. I freaked!!!! :sad: Then as I was ready to leave I walked around a corner and there were all my lovely regular things in the freezer end cap---frozen, strawberries, 3-berry mix, and Wild blueberries. :heart: YEAH!!!! :heart:

The lines were so long that when I got out of there I came home so no Trader Joe's for me. Hope to get there in the next few days. I'm finishing up some homemade bean/veggie soup and then I think I'll try a black bean chili in the crockpot that is cooked with butternut squash cubes on top. If it doesn't turn out well I may have a lot of it to slug through even if I cut the recipe down by 50%.:laugh: :wink: :laugh:

Wishing everyone well, time to get moving again.:drinker:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We finally made a decision yesterday and made a late start for the mountains (about an hour and a half drive) . As we drove into the mountains, the sun came out, lighting up the snowy peaks! We had a glorious afternoon- we snow shoed through the trees and out in the sunshine - lovely! I did take it a little easy - it's my first trek post surgery - so I just did the shorter loop and hubby did the full trip up to the lake. I was glad - after the hour, I was done and ready to get the snow shoes off. So glad we went! ( I have never gone and regretted it, so not sure what my hesitation was??)

LinC - I woud be happy to send you some of that plus 10 weather:wink: but it was minus 14 here this morning. One of the beauties of southern Alberta is ever changing weather! wee will probably be above freezing again in a day or so....

Sara - Welcome. and 35 pounds since October??? That is FANTASTIC!! Some of us a re very envious:tongue::tongue:

Sunshine - Yes, men do seem to lose faster. I stopped dieting with my husband years ago - it was just too discouraging. Good luck on the challenge!

Meg and Sunshine - I make a ham and bean soup too and was soaking the beans overnight. I tried an experimant one day and found that if I put the beans, veg, seasonings, water and ham bone in the crockpot for the day - 6-8 plus hours? (of course dependent on your pot's temp)- that I could skip the soaking step, and they cooked fine. I add a can of diced tomatoes at the end as well - I understand that if they are added earlier, the acid in the tomatoes will stop the softening process in the beans?

The sun is shining today but it is still cool (minus 10?) I'll see if a walk might be in my future today.....

Go well ladies....stay well....

Glenda, renewed by the mountains of southern Alberta
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I have alot of catching up to do with you guys! Thanks for the big doses of Vit F and letting me know what that means:flowerforyou: Also thanks JB for the poem I found it on page 11 and it was AWESOME!

I made it to the Gym on Thursday and Friday AM spin..yesterday MELT and TRX which has me hobbling around today in a good way..WOW the way I feel I will have quiet the perky butt if I keep that work out up :laugh: I am kind of a shopaholic and I have been over thinking this interview and shopping for a new outfit. Of course I can't find a thing!!!! Oh I did find a pair of shoes...but that was the least of my worries!

I take care of my Dad a few nights a week and every other sunday..today is my day and am at Dad's now we are waiting for the daily nurse to arrive. He is in a wheel chair infact I thnk today is the anniversary 21 years :cry: He is 85 and very positive, that's where I get it from:bigsmile: He lives alone since we lost my Mom a couple years ago. In the AM we get him his coffee and breakfast then do some personal things get him dressed and up in the chair. Then prep his food for the day and come back at night to put him to bed. One of our new years changes is to make sure that Sunday is family dinner night. We gather with my Sis and her family or make sure our kids are home with us 21 and 18. Tonight we decided we will watch football with Dad and make appetizers and dinner. I hoping to make the kids play a board game with me since I don't really care about football. Dad was so EXCITED when I told him!!!

There's alittle something extra about my life :wink: Time to hit the mall and find that perfect outfit. I really want this job!!!!

I will make sure to get read all the posts later. I hope you are all having a GREAT sunday! GO 49er's!!! OK I guess I am rooting for 1 team :laugh: Judy
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

Update: 142.8 walking miles on the Virtual Walk Across America. Only walking, no biking or running. Walking, walking, walking. :bigsmile:

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif

Walk across America Advice request-how do you report your mileage. Do you give yourself a mile a minute, or 6mph, or what? I've seen a table that works out to a mile a minute and don't know what I "should" be doing. I don't wear a pedometer and that wouldn't work biking anyway. this is fun and I want to try to do it the right way.

Katla
    in NW Oregon where the sun is out right this minute. Yay! I hope the fog stays away.
  • linder4866
    Options

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif

Walk across America Advice request-how do you report your mileage. Do you give yourself a mile a minute, or 6mph, or what? I've seen a table that works out to a mile a minute and don't know what I "should" be doing. I don't wear a pedometer and that wouldn't work biking anyway. this is fun and I want to try to do it the right way.

Katla
    in NW Oregon where the sun is out right this minute. Yay! I hope the fog stays away.

I log the miles the Fitbit registers.............I believe their reporting options were miles or km.

Happy SUNSHINE!!!! Wonderful.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the welcoming comments! I am really looking forward to checking in here daily. I have already picked up quite a few helpful hints and tidbits in the days I have been following.

Lin - I think that you or someone else posted the link to Virtual Walk across America before but I didn't make a note of it as I was reading. Woudl you mind posting it again? I walk every day and am going to ramp that up so would love something like that would make it a little more fun.

Renny - I posted on your veggie & fruit challenge thread but wanted to say THANK YOU for thinking of that challenge. I did it today and have had a very enjoyable day, coming up with new options to try as I am not a big vegetable eater. Anyone who knows me would be shocked to know that I made and ate butternut squash soup and kale & spinach turnovers for dinner!

Gotta go hit the old treadmill. Have a nice evening, ladies!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the welcoming comments! I am really looking forward to checking in here daily. I have already picked up quite a few helpful hints and tidbits in the days I have been following.

Lin - I think that you or someone else posted the link to Virtual Walk across America before but I didn't make a note of it as I was reading. Woudl you mind posting it again? I walk every day and am going to ramp that up so would love something like that would make it a little more fun.

Renny - I posted on your veggie & fruit challenge thread but wanted to say THANK YOU for thinking of that challenge. I did it today and have had a very enjoyable day, coming up with new options to try as I am not a big vegetable eater. Anyone who knows me would be shocked to know that I made and ate butternut squash soup and kale & spinach turnovers for dinner!

Gotta go hit the old treadmill. Have a nice evening, ladies!

Sure, here ya go......this is what I shared.

Following is the web site address and a blurb they wrote about it........

http://exercise.lbl.gov/index.html

We have designed a transcontinental virtual trip across the United States. Each time you enter your mileage, we add it to your total and show you exactly what you would see if you had been traveling from Yorktown, Virginia to Florence, Oregon. For example, if you ran two miles one day, walked four miles the next, and cycled six miles on the third day, you would see the views at 2, 6, and 12 miles west of Yorktown on days one, two and three. We also provide maps that show your progress and the progress of your running partners. You can also form teams to race across the United States.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Enjoying our causal Sunday. Went to church than met some girls for coffee. I was good just had regular coffee and avoided the yummy looking coffee cake thing.

Than home and spent the day cooking and cleaning. Prepared enough dinners and lunches for the week. Dinner in the slow cooker beginning to smell really good.

DH is sick with the flu but apparently it doesn't stop him from watching football.

@Lin that walking across America sounds interesting. I will check it out.
    @Postive Power --I have not tired a spin class no where ready for that myself but good job on doing it.
    @Karla in Oregon enjoy that sun while it is out. In Idaho the sun try to peak out but its hiding again.

Tomorrow is weigh in my numbers have been no or low lost for awhile sort of stop weighing in but tomorrow is a day of truth. Being about business. But sort of scared too.

My DD needs me right now so will be back in a bit.

Thank you,
    wishing you a good afternoon.

Drink that water and keep logging your food.
    Liz
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,

I didn't have time to read the posts, but wanted to check in. We've had a change in plans. We were supposed to leave this morning for a two week vacation in Mexico, but Frank's (DH) father passed away Saturday night, so we cancelled our trip. His dad had a stroke about three months ago, and has been in and out of hospitals ever since. We knew he was getting weaker, but the doctors still held out hope that he would rebound, so we decided to carry on with our plans. Well, I guess God had other plans for him. We are saddened by his loss, but feel blessed that he didn't have to suffer too long. Frank's brother who lives in California came out with his family at Christmas time and had the chance to see him. The rest of the family visited with him for the last time on Friday and left around 4pm. We got the call around 6pm, so I guess after we all got to see him, he decided it was time. My mother-in-law has been a rock through all of this, but we know how hard this is for her. They were married for 54 wonderful years, and although I have only been in this family since 2007, they are the most wonderful and caring people I know. I am blessed to be a member of this family.:brokenheart:
    To think that last week I was complaining about my job feels so petty now in retrospect. Life is short, so love your family and friends while you can. I know I will.:heart:

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    What a glorious day for Sunday. After church we ate a quick sandwich then went out in back and worked for three hours picking up MORE pecans. I wish they would all just fall down and be done with it. Every time we pack them up and sell them DH says, "well that's it". Next thing you know more and more have fallen.

LindaC – my DD spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me. However, I didn’t write down everything so I hope I can do it again today. Somedays I would make notes then couldn’t read my scribbling. LOL Two pounds since Thursday, that is awesome. Good for you! It is just too cold there!!! Does it get nice in spring or summer?

DeeDee – I'm having difficulty getting net 1200 calories. I worked three hours picking up pecans and when I put that in as gardening my net was only 285. So I took out the exercise and put in 10 minutes and I'm at 1111. So, I guess my question is do you add in your exercise calories?:embarassed:

Sunshine – my DH is also retired AF. 24 years.

Jb – very good advice from someone who has been there done that. You’re right, you have to do what works for you.

Linda Sundance – Yea for you for losing 50 pounds. You must be so proud of yourself, if not, I’m proud enough for both of us!

Meg- still have my ham bone from Christmas so I’m going to make navy beans. Thanks for the recipe. All I need is the bay leaves so I’ll put them on the “list”.

Jane- sorry it is still so cold. I’d tell you what we had today but that would be cruel.

Lila –I’m having the same problem with my fingernails. I contributed it to washing my hands with the antibacterial soap.

Sara – somehow I missed your original post. Welcome, I love your city, sorry it’s so cold.

Lin – 142.8 miles is awesome. I joined and have done 9 miles. Told my two daughters in Denver about it and they are going to do it also. Did you lose the 99 lbs by walking? That is quite an endorsement for walking!

Glenda – I just marvel at you ladies who go out and walk and snow shoe in weather that is below freezing. My blood must be too thick (or thin) because I don’t like to go out if it’s below 50!

Judy – loved the story about your Dad and his excitement that his family was going to watch the game with him. Enjoy every minute you have with him, it’s precious.

Well, I was able to copy and paste but for some reason it posted twice. Any advice as to why that happened?
    Have a lovely evening and I'll see less of you tomorrow.

SueBDew in warm and sunny TX.
  • Lynn0713
    Options
    Hello All,

Thanks for the advice about exercise calories I will make a deceision after my weigh in this week.
    Lucy so sorry for your loss my dad is 88 and my mom is 83 so I know I don't have that much time left with them and it makes me very sad. We almost loss my mother two years ago but she rallied and is still here.
    I have stayed on track this week and hope for success on the scales come friday.

Lynn
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, :happy:

I am back had to go.rescue DD from a faucet she could not turn off. :smile:
    @Glenda. The mountains sound beautiful but your weather does not.-10 :tongue:
    @Meg and @Sunshine -- I cook my beans in the crockpot too. I have done it both ways soaking over night and without and they turn out tasty .:happy:

@Sara 35lbs since October that is impressive.
    @Lin glad you were able to find your regular Costco items. We have ours too.
    :smile:
    @Dee - That is very. Cool you signing up for the 5k. :drinker:
    @M great loss:
    :drinker:
    @JB - nice hair.
    @Robin good luck on interview.
    @JaneH -- Happy. Birthday!!
    @Welcome to all
    @Linda Sundance congrats on.50 lbs.
    @Judy love the story of your Dad.

Well I need to get. Off the Internet. My DH has the flu and he grumpy. and getting madder as he watching this last football game. So I will stop now to show my DH some support.

Wishing you all a good evening.
    :flowerforyou:

Liz