WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??

Options
I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

Some people do not want feedback from others. This is not the same thing as "not being honest with yourself" in all cases.

I will give you one example: I have a friend with an eating disorder. She does not like to be ridiculed by people who truly do not understand her battles. Locking her food diary prevents this.

I'm sharing this with you for context. You may need accountability or commentary. Other people may not, and that's not a bad thing.
  • kirstencorren
    kirstencorren Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but it took me 3 weeks before I even noticed that my diary wasn't public
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I explain in my profile the reasons why mine is locked:
    My food diary is locked and will remain that way for a couple reasons:

1) I eat reasonably healthy, but I won't hold my diet up as an example for anybody else to emulate.

2) What I'm doing works for me and I really don't care what anybody else thinks of it.

I certainly don't claim to be any kind of expert and don't have degrees or certifications to back me up, but I've got a decent handle on nutrition. I'm accountable to myself, and don't want or need people who've chosen to starve themselves, eat in a manner different from me and/or who arbitrarily exclude foods (or entire food groups) from their diets trying to tell me how evil my diet is and why I should change it. As SideSteel alluded to above, I don't want/need commentary or accountability to others. I'm 100% responsible and accountable for my efforts and have just never been into the cheerleader/group support mentality. It works for many people and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - it's just not my thing.

OTOH, if we're talking about people who come into the forums to ask advice regarding their diet, why they're stalled, why they're gaining, etc. - then they should certainly open their diaries so people who are inclined to do so can look at them and offer relevant suggestions.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    B/c that's what it automatically set to when I joined MFP and I just have never changed it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You asked for honesty, heres the honesty.

I don't want weight loss advice from fat people. It's my diary. I don't want unsolicited advice about weight loss from every kid on the internet.

Also, are you creeping up on peoples diaries randomly? Because that alone is a pretty good reason to close your diary.

PS. People can hide their diaries so that its not public but only their friends can see it
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    one of my friend's has hers locked. she says she writes personal notes on the diary on some of the days. she doesn't want those publicly visible because they are only for her to see. so her profile stays locked... seems like a good enough reason to me.
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mine is set so that only my friends can see it. With some of the arguements on here about nutrition what to eat, what not to eat, I don't need to invite that into my daily food journal. I have the support of my friends and I am not looking for it from strangers.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to just friends can see. I don't mind sharing it, but I also don't want to show it to everyone in the world.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

Just because you are unable to remain honest to yourself without accountability to others, you should not assume the same holds true for me. I keep my diary private because I have no accountability issues and I am a private person. I also put private notes in my diary.
  • Em7b5
    Em7b5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    what a sanctimonious post, ugh. if someone wants to open their diary and solicit advice, then they will do it; you aren't the diary police.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't see that it's anybody's opinion what I do or don't eat. What I'm doing is currently working for me, and I'm happy with that. If I want people's opinions, then I'll ask for them! I don't need somebody saying 'well, you HAVE to do this, because it worked for me'.

Also, do people really stalk other people's food diaries? I find that kinda creepy!
  • aekimz23
    aekimz23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Having your food diary open isn't being honest with yourself, it's being open and honest with others. Logging your food, privately, publicly, in any form however, is being honest with yourself. I realize that logging is good for me, but it doesn't mean I necessarily want others seeing what I'm eating. I don't eat paleo/primal/vegan, I gorge on foods that aren't healthy but still manage to fit my macros, I don't want the judgment of complete strangers to sabotage my efforts by making me not even want to log my foods anymore.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Our diaries.

Our food.

Our choice.

That's all.
  • helloimdominique
    Options
    Why are you so concerned about what other people are doing? You should worry about yourself.

14335018.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • aligatah
    aligatah Posts: 24 Member
    Options

As long as we're saying things that "might seem harsh," you'll forgive me if I don't take advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're." You may think I suck because my food diary's private, but I think that a grown man spelling things phonetically is a worse crime -- I guess we all have our things that drive us nuts.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

As long as we're saying things that "might seem harsh," you'll forgive me if I don't take advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're." You may think I suck because my food diary's private, but I think that a grown man spelling things phonetically is a worse crime -- I guess we all have our things that drive us nuts.

+1 I don't take advice from people who can't write properly. It indicates to me either a lack of education, a lack of intelligence or both.

As for your question, I value my privacy. I'm honest with myself; that's all that's necessary.
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't know that you could let people see your food diary.

I still won't because I don't see why it matters if I eat more processed/ quick things but am still losing and making the healthiest choices possible for a college student on a very small budget (and very little time to prepare things); and I feel like people might would use that fact to give me criticism disguised as advice.

Also, I do add personal notes to my diary.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Our diaries.

Our food.

Our choice.

That's all.
    ^^^^^ this
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    Because then I won't be able to write my own diet advice in book form and make money off of it. Someone else may try to steal it.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Deliriant
    Options
    Simply because its mine and I don't need or want advice.Also it keeps all of the judgy people out of my business.