Do you skip the gym in freezing weather?

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Nope. I let my car run for a good 15 minutes with the heat blasting, layer on the clothes, and get my butt out the door. I go to the gym at 4:30am, it was a steamy 2 degrees when I left this morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nah....my gym is climate controlled...heated in winter and A/C in summer. The only way I skip it is if road conditions become too perilous to be out on the road, which is pretty rare here in Albuquerque.
  • Tiffanie0407
    Options
    well actually I can't really answer that my gym is in my house
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.. Minus 7 is warm. It can get up to -50 ( degree celcius) here.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE TO NOT GO FOR -7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I go to the gym in -50!
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    No I get extra exercise because I run like mad from my warm car to the gym door lol
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    It was -2 when I went to my workout this morning....and I work out in a warehouse style gym that is heated, but not much. ;) I went to wash my hands after using the restroom and SLUSH came out of the faucet head. LOL! I wouldn't miss a workout because it was cold out - forget that. Now, if there were ten feet of snow on the ground - well, that's another story. ;)
  • bluecrush1203
    bluecrush1203 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    -11 here in Michigan. If you really want to skip the gym why not just work out at home? There are plenty of bodyweight exercises you can do in your own living room!
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I skip everything when its cold outside! Recently moved from Texas to Delaware and have only worked out a handful of times.............I'm so ready for spring
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, so it's not much of an issue unless I want to go running.

But to put it bluntly, your body doesn't "skip out" on storing fat or getting weak when it's cold outside.
    So we can't stop either.
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    the colder the better!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    cold to me isnt really an excuse not to go to the gym. unless the only parking is 5.6 miles away. the only precaution i take when it is that cold out and i am at the gym is i try to stay away from machines near the door.

i also have started taking an extra shirt and a plastic shopping back with me to the gym. at the end of my workout i hit the locker room, dry off and put my dry shirt on. i live 2 miles from the gym and it is just more comfortable to shower at home, plus i can sing when at home as i sudz up
  • Chicagogrey
    Options
    I work out at home when I don't want to leave the house. Plenty of DVDs/online videos to choose from! :)
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love going to the indoor pool and swimming when its freezing out. I close my eyes and do the back stork and pretend I am in the Caribbean somewhere.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It's 18 here in CT, i went ahead and took my dog for her daily walk but it was just too cold with the wind starting to pick up so we cut our usual 40 minutes down to about 25 and that's good enough for me, besides I did the rest of my workout indoors.
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I woke up today to an ice and snow covered car at 4 a.m., sighed, put on my coat and started scraping. Left the gym feeling great! I am not a winter girl. My morning workouts help me get through the long winter days. As I'm working out, I think about summer, days at the beach and finally being able to wear a cute little sundress :)

Keep at it, but don't beat yourself up for one day off. We all need them!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Minnesota native here. I used to have to run out side in - 30 degree weather.
    I'm a Minnesota native too, but that's something I wouldn't do. I'm doing a 5k this weekend and I am really hoping the forecast holds up and it gets above ten that day. If it is below zero I may just wuss out. Also, I just looked it up and it's colder than I thought here, -12 without windchill. Apparently I am too used to the cold because I really thought it was around -6.
  • StefieLou
    StefieLou Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Its only 6 degrees where I am today. When its SUPER cold, I skip my outside walk, and thats when I DO end up going to the gym.

Now if its snowing really hard, and the roads are slippery, I skip the gym
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just got home from work, it's around 7:30am. Usually I hit the gym on my way home, but right now in Milwaukee it's -7 out, so cold it's painful! Am I wrong for skipping the gym when it's that cold out? I don't want to go outside all sweaty (there's no showers at the gym I go to). Does anyone else wimp out when it's freezing out?

I'm in Wauwatosa and I am saying screw it!! I have about a 6 minute walk to our other building to use our fitness center and I am not up for the walk because the frigid dry air irritates my asthma. I am getting in a DVD workout tonight. Getting my sweat on with Bob Harper is a good way to end my evening;)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    We have mild winters here but there have been a couple of cold days that I opted to do a Zumba video at home or something like that.
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's -10*C here (Ontario, Canada), feels like -25*C... it's a total blizzard out there and all the roads in the area are closed. But I got my *kitten* out of bed, bundled up real nice, and WALKED to Bootcamp.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!