Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options
Hi,
This is my second week in and we just can not afford for me to have a gym membership. I have a few dvds and have done walk away the pounds, fat burning for dummies etc but I am wondering what everyone else is doing?

Replies

• sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    over the years ive done home videos when my children were little then various classes/hobbies.
    Now I go to the gym but and this is a big but, my main aerobic exercise is long walks it clocks up the
    calories burnt on here and is keeping the weight off as I go.
    Hope helps you!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home, yep. I hate gyms. It's hard enough some days to drag yourself into the workout area of your own home-- who needs the additional hurdles of car/traffic/locker room?

When you consider how much you can do with videos and/or inexpensive equipment like running shoes, dumbells, pullup bars, etc... I just don't see the point in a gym membership for myself.
  • gvdoliver
    gvdoliver Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I found I enjoy the mix these days, weights and clases at the gym and then a few mixed workout DVD's at home, usually Bill Banks but also the odd Yoga DVD, and sparing with my cat always keeps me fast, though not fast enough!!
  • darrenlees
    darrenlees Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym but membership was expensive, and so i purchased an exercise bike and decided to just work out at home.
    2 years later i have added to the bike a treadmill, punch bag and rowing machine and hand weights.

If you have the space look at home gym stuff as it can work out cheaper if you intend to keep using it compared to expensive gym bills.
    I also find it easier to go into my gym room when i get home instead of having to make the effort of going to the gym.

Good luck.
  • SharonBluntz
    SharonBluntz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I workout at home because I live in the middle of Alaska and there's NO gyms 'round here! I've been working out since the beginning of the year. I'm doing 30 Day Shred until Feb when my 30 days are up. Then I'm moving onto Insanity! Every day I mix up the exercises on top of the 30DS. I do zumba, pilates, yoga and I have Skimble downloaded onto my phone for extra workout routines! :) Keep up to great work!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I work out at home (aside for cycling which is more a means to get around than exercise) with DVDs, adjustable dumbbells, Oly bar, squat stands, bench, pull up bar and resistance bands etc.
  • FabnFit2013
    FabnFit2013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    workout at home ...Gym is too expensive for me..
  • sp98
    sp98 Posts: 46
    Options
    I started out working out at home on the cross trainer and doing Michelle Bridges 30 day shred (which I totally swear by). I have only started going to the gym in the last fortnight as I was looking for more of a challenge and variety but my biggest factor was the heat and humidity here in the Brisbane summer. We are lucky here in that gym memberships are so reasonable. Good luck
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I workout strictly at home! The closest gym to me is a 20 min drive which doesn't seem like much but I find I can get more done if I can get my workout done first thing in the AM and my husband is gone at 4 am till any time after 6 pm.

Right now I'm currently doing ChaLEAN extreme, I'll probably doing either Turbo Fire or Brazilian butt lift when I'm done. In the past I've done 30 day shred ( you can find the videos of that on youtube).
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    We have a gym (a little one, but a gym anyway) at home so there's no need to go elsewhere to work out :) I do strength training and most of the cardio exercises there. I'm currently doing Ripped in 30 (week 2 now) besides walking, Nordic walking, cycling, weight lifting and occasional TurboFire.
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i do. my gym wont let me back till my little boy is 12 week :(, dont quiet know why, i feel fine so iv been jogging with my dog and doing fitness dvds just done pump it up(old dvd i had in my cupboad), and started 30 day shred yesterday. turbo fire looks good too,
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of dvds, a couple of games on the Wii, and a few apps on my phone, like Nike Training. I also read the book Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson. Some of the stuff in there is a bit 'out there' but the fitness programme can be intense on some of the days and you can adapt it to your own level of fitness i.e.) do fewer reps.

I used to go to the gym but I suffer very bad asthma. My personal trainer told me to start off for a walk on the treadmill, gradually build it up to a run, then back down to a walk over 10 minutes so that I don't have an attack. I overheard one of the other members of staff taking the mick out of me for walking on the treadmill! I was so mortified I cancelled my membership and haven't been to a gym since. Won't exercise in public at all (apart from walking).
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    IF I exercise it's at home, most of the time I'm too lazy to do it
  • Bding123
    Bding123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have tried doing exercise both at home and at the gym and I actually found I lost more at home. I've lost nearly 20lbs so far with another 10-14lbs to go. Try any of Bob Harper or Jillian Michaels DVDs (if you are just starting out then go with Jillian), you'll need a mat and a set of hand weights but I've lost countless inches doing their workouts!
  • Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a home gym-body too! Currently working on P90 and moving onto Insanity!!

I've been doing pretty well. I pop in the DVD once every 24 hours, sometimes sooner (I work nights so my schedule is a bit wacky). I am watching my sugar/fat intake and trying to make better decisions rather than quickie meals from fast food places. I've been keeping up with 6 days a week and Sunday being rest day (or alternating according to my schedule). So far so good. It takes 30 days for something to become a habit, and I'm already feeling weird without my daily dose of Tony! ;)

Good Luck with your exercise! You'll find lots of support here. Feel free to add me as a buddy!
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home now! (Used to go to the gym but it's too expensive and takes more time)
    I've been working out for almost a year now, 6 times a week. I mainly do dvd programs (I love Jillian Michaels' workout videos) and I've got a stationary bike + a treadmill (but I like running outside when the weather is better).
  • NitaFaye1956
    Options
    My husband and I are using the Wii Fit Plus. We just started yesterday. I'm also trying to get up and move more through the day.
  • iambabygoose
    iambabygoose Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work out from home as im a student mum and dont have time time or the money to go to the gym!
    The 30 day shred is a great all round work out you can find it free from youtube.
    I also take pole dancing classes.
    You should see if your local gym holds classes and you might be able to join in with out membership, just a one off payment of a few quid. Ive tried spinning and zumba in the last week, its a great way to mix up your boring home routine! X
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    I'm working out from home. Using EA Active on the Wii, got an elliptical, dumbells and an exercise mat. Lots of walking too, always taking the longer route, using the stairs etc :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Me, me, Me, and my beautiful wife, we live in the middle of nowhere and as such, we only exercise at home. I have a treadmill and a total gym plus just got an exercise bike for christmas. wife has a kettlebell and mats and workout ball thing. we have done pretty well.