PISSED OFF!!

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

If you have had WLS and lost a ton of weight eating 500-800 cals, do not tell people they need to eat more.

There, now I can share some of your roasting!

No, I would tell them to seek a professional, as 900 calories a day is considered medical starvation. Lower than that could be coined as "suicide." You ARE promoting starvation - by quite literal terms, no less. Many anoretics set their diets at 500 calories a day - is that something you really want to say is OKAY?

I'm glad you're comfortable with it.

I'm not.

I did not say that people need to eat under 900 calories. I would never say that.

What I have found on here are some people who had WLS, which includes them eating below 800 cals, they lost a bunch of weight doing that, then they go on the forums and tell people who eat 1200 cals a day that they need to eat more.

I do not encourage extremely low cals, especially for young girls who are at a healthy weight already. I just want people that are posting on the forums, to not be hypocrites about it. Don't tell people to do something that you yourself didn't do.

This does not include someone who has had an ED, and is using their bad experience to help steer others away from making their mistakes. That can be very helpful.
  • stgc95
    stgc95 Posts: 7
    Options
    Wow, so many folks fired up. It is a passionate topic for many. 30+ years ago I watched the Senate hearing on diets. They had Herbalife and Cambridge diet there. People were dieing on the 900 calorie Cambridge Diet so the company reps were there explaining themselves. Basically, they knowledged 900 calories is not enough for any adult. Herbalife president was there and he was such a punk after hearing his testimony I went to my cupboard and threw every herbalife product in the trash and never bought any again. So, eat more; eat less. It's up to you. For me, I find the MFP recommendation works okay and sometimes I'm a little over and sometimes little under.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I did not say that people need to eat under 900 calories. I would never say that.

What I have found on here are some people who had WLS, which includes them eating below 800 cals, they lost a bunch of weight doing that, then they go on the forums and tell people who eat 1200 cals a day that they need to eat more.

I do not encourage extremely low cals, especially for young girls who are at a healthy weight already. I just want people that are posting on the forums, to not be hypocrites about it. Don't tell people to do something that you yourself didn't do.

This does not include someone who has had an ED, and is using their bad experience to help steer others away from making their mistakes. That can be very helpful.

Check that. You did say WLS. I misread - sorry about that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I gotta support what this guy said. Eating more does not work for me. I have tried it and gave it time, Believe me! What works for me is high protein, and reducing calories. Sucks but it works.
    The one thing I hate about MFP is that I am not allowed to say this. If you say anything to contradict EM2WL you get your head handed to you on a platter.
    Let the roasting commence....

I completely agree with you here. Some people can eat more, and some cannot. If you look at the people who have lost 100 pounds or more on here, they did NOT lose it by eating more. I follow results. 90% of the people that keep giving the 'eat more' advice either, lost their weight by eating less, but now say they did it the 'wrong' way and you should do it the 'right' way, or they have just started, have lost 1 pound, and swear that the pounds are 'falling off' and it is working and you should do it too!

I am not supporting starving yourself, but I really wish that people would not give others advice that they need to eat more, simply because they read it on the forums that that is the way you should be doing it.

If it really has worked for you long term, then tell your story with details of how exactly you did it.

If you have been on here for 2 weeks, then you do not have enough life experience to be giving out advice. You don't know what works for you yet, so don't just recycle advice you have read from others on here.

If you have had WLS and lost a ton of weight eating 500-800 cals, do not tell people they need to eat more.

Lol! I lost over 125lbs by eating more (1700to1800 a day). I don't know if you are just reading what you want to read but there are a lot of people who eat more and lost massive amounts.

Well congrats to you for losing your weight! Since you just joined this site, then your experience is not chronicled on MFP for people to see. I don't know how long it took you to lose your weight, or how many calories you were burning thru exercise. Perhaps you should write out the details of your weight loss experience and post it in the Success Stories section for others to see.

Over the 6 months I have been on here, I have actively looked for people who have lost a lot of weight, to see exactly how they did it. Many of them are now on my friends list. How many cals you need to lose depends on many factors, and we all have different maintenance levels. I am sure that there are people who have lost weight eating in the range that you have, as they are younger, taller, or more active than others who have lost eating less. But as for my experience of reading success stories on here, the majority of them have lost their weight by creating at least a 1000 calorie deficit per day, at least during the early months when they had so much to lose. In theory, someone could eventually lose 100 pounds by eating at a 200 calorie deficit, but it would take a LONG time to do it, and I haven't read about anyone on here doing that.

Perhaps I should have said, "If you look at the MAJORITY of people who have lost 100 pounds or more..".
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

No, I would tell them to seek a professional, as 900 calories a day is considered medical starvation. Lower than that could be coined as "suicide." You ARE promoting starvation - by quite literal terms, no less. Many anoretics set their diets at 500 calories a day - is that something you really want to say is OKAY?

I'm glad you're comfortable with it.

I'm not.

I lived on 3-500 calories a day for a year. I started off at 170 and finished the year at 260. granted I wasnt exercising at all, but seriously... where was I supposed to get THAT energy from. I just sat there and wondered why my hair and skin didnt look healthy anymore. Then I spent the following 11 years trying to undo what I did to my metabolism.

Good times :drinker:
  • kels1120
    kels1120 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing any changes in your body? Sometimes the scale is not an accurate representation of the work you put in. I work out at least 6 days a week. The weight came off quickly the first two weeks I was doing this, but the last 3 weeks I haven't lost anything. But I can tell just by looking at myself and the way my clothes fit that I have lost many inches. As long as you're seeing positive changes in your body, the number on the scale is pretty irrelevant in my opinion.
  • yoovie
    Options
    LMMFAO

ALSO - so many people I know in the 100+ club lost it by eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day. Wait - to clarify - they lost the first 30 or so with a 1200 calorie diet and then slowly added more as they lost weight and exercised harder...

there are those who only diet
    there are those who only do cardio
    there are those who only do weight
    there are those who only do yoga and flexies
    there are those who do all the things...

Guess which people are having the most success and not having trouble maintaining it.

That "MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST OVER 100 POUNDS" line is really just like when people say "IM NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE BUT" - you just know that the other side of that sentence is going to probably piss you off if the person saying it, hasnt been there.

I refused to post with most of the heavy losers here until I even past that mark, because I wasnt go to pretend I could relate.

the truth is, every single person is different and you have to find your own way.

Telling people to avoid one thing, wont help them. Itll be one thing they dont try. Why do that? what do you get out of telling someone, hey dont try this particular thing that so many people have had success with, because some people didnt have success with it.

To the OP - I know you already have a great attitude from your responses here - if someone tells you dont try something that other people have had healthy success with, dont listen to them. Try everything. Find what is awesome and special and uniquely awesome for you.

Who knows- you may be the chick that turns out to be the girl in vintage rollerskates, that does an obstacle run every summer, eat 1682 calories a day and is the only girl in the gym that can do 10 pullups in a row.

The fun is finding out.

:bigsmile:
  • yoovie
    Options

I gotta support what this guy said. Eating more does not work for me. I have tried it and gave it time, Believe me! What works for me is high protein, and reducing calories. Sucks but it works.
    The one thing I hate about MFP is that I am not allowed to say this. If you say anything to contradict EM2WL you get your head handed to you on a platter.
    Let the roasting commence....

I completely agree with you here. Some people can eat more, and some cannot. If you look at the people who have lost 100 pounds or more on here, they did NOT lose it by eating more. I follow results. 90% of the people that keep giving the 'eat more' advice either, lost their weight by eating less, but now say they did it the 'wrong' way and you should do it the 'right' way, or they have just started, have lost 1 pound, and swear that the pounds are 'falling off' and it is working and you should do it too!

I am not supporting starving yourself, but I really wish that people would not give others advice that they need to eat more, simply because they read it on the forums that that is the way you should be doing it.

If it really has worked for you long term, then tell your story with details of how exactly you did it.

If you have been on here for 2 weeks, then you do not have enough life experience to be giving out advice. You don't know what works for you yet, so don't just recycle advice you have read from others on here.

Lol! I lost over 125lbs by eating more (1700to1800 a day). I don't know if you are just reading what you want to read but there are a lot of people who eat more and lost massive amounts.

HELL YEAH GIRL! me too! (not 125 but yeah)
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    1) You aren't eating enough. 1131 is nowhere near enough, especially with that kind of workout regimen.

2) When you start strength training, it's common for your muscles to retain water. Many people "gain" a few pounds during the first few weeks of a new weight program.

Ditto
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How about the water? Lots and lots of water to wash that bad 'ol fat away!
  • yoovie
    Options

LOL!!!! time spent on MFP calculated into your life experience points??? HAHAHAHAHAHA

MUST WASTE X AMOUNT OF TIME ON INTERWEBS lololollergasm

tumblr_mg6stem2sR1qb1g04o7_r1_250.gif
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Also **** happens. mwhahaahaa! Seriously I can gain 4 pounds in a week and have done everything right. THEN the following week I lose 8 lbs. Freaky right!?!? Anyways weight fluctuates. So that very strange two weeks I actually lost 4 lbs in two weeks not 8 lbs in one week. Call it water weight or what ever but that happens. Also realize that you do gain muscle too. I lost 30 lbs without ever losing a pants size. I started weight training and I gained two pounds but finally dropped that pants size.
  • janadecker
    janadecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I recently increased my strength training as well and noticed a couple of "extra" pounds. I, like you, wasn't happy but soon realized that my muscles were only retaining water to repair themselves from the extra work I was doing. Give it some time. The numbers will catch up.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". Even if you don't intend to lift weights, the nutrition section of the book is VERY enlightening. You are definitely NOT eating enough.

If you don't want to purchase the book, I highly recommend you stand in the corner of the bookstore and read just that section. It won't take long and will be well worth your time.
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel ya that's where I am today, feeling like I don't want to be doing something that isn't going to give me results... but I have some awesome pals who are encouraging me and I'm not looking at a scale for the next two and a half weeks - because I don't want to get discouraged! Hang in there- these people who have done it know how to get results! YOU CAN DO IT!!:glasses:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I saw my trainer at the gym today but we aren't working out together until friday. He said we'd talk about it but both of us got busy. I just don't want to waste my time doing the same thing and expecting different results. Isn't that the definition of insanity???

dude. you've given it two weeks. you didn't gain your weight in 2 weeks, it won't start magically working that fast.

we all fall prey to the "waaah why am i not losing weight?!!" hamster wheel of thoughts but it's your job to rise above it, realize you are more than a weight on a scale, and know you're doing this for health as well as look super hot.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well congrats to you for losing your weight! Since you just joined this site, then your experience is not chronicled on MFP for people to see. I don't know how long it took you to lose your weight, or how many calories you were burning thru exercise. Perhaps you should write out the details of your weight loss experience and post it in the Success Stories section for others to see.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize your entire SIX MONTHS of experience on MFP has made you the Comment Police. I'll be sure to check in with you before I post next time.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I agree with many of the others...some water retention and muscle-building are probably going on. However, neither of these is a permanent thwart to your weight loss plans. You'll lose the water and the more muscle you build, the more fat you'll burn. You're probably just dealing with the early stages of exercise fitness!
  • yoovie
    Options

I'm sorry. I didn't realize your entire SIX MONTHS of experience on MFP has made you the Comment Police. I'll be sure to check in with you before I post next time.

seriously, why do we owe her our whole plan? I lost 105 pounds and I dont even track my food. another case of my way or no one's way.

in other words, time to go.

see ya round!
  • janadecker
    janadecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the others...some water retention and muscle-building are probably going on. However, neither of these is a permanent thwart to your weight loss plans. You'll lose the water and the more muscle you build, the more fat you'll burn. You're probably just dealing with the early stages of exercise fitness!

^This