• Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    To the OP - Wise, wise words. Great post. And, can I be your friend? LOL

:drinker:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am sure like minded people will praise your utter rudeness. Perhaps you should spend more time working on your abrasivness and less time ridiculing others. If you don't like what someone says about weight lifting, then speak your mind and move on. Those who don't want to do that have their own reasons. Condescending arrogance will motivate no one.

Oh, but you were totally okay with ripping apart anyone who tried to explain eating back exercise calories the other day simply because you couldn't do the math?

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    To OP, thank you. I spent my 20s and much of my 30s running, and wondering why I never got faster. Lifting heavy has made me faster than ever before, and I'll be 40 before long. You are completely correct on every single count.

To your detractors, I only say that some people will miss out on a mint if they don't care for the package which contains the fortune.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Weight lifting has led to me having some serious problems. Regret. Every time I go workout I say to myself "Why the F didn't I start this 15 years ago?". Be forewarned.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    A lot of men could listen to this advice also.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Weight lifting has led to me having some serious problems. Regret. Every time I go workout I say to myself "Why the F didn't I start this 15 years ago?". Be forewarned.

lol Truth ^
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Can I offer some counter examples to the negative stories... My 50 year old gym buddy (who is fitter than all of us) did a 110kg deadlift last night at about 60kg BW. A few weeks ago my trainer's 76 year old mum did a 65kg deadlift.... being strong is DOPE!!

Personally I am shocked at how weak some women are happy to be. The number of people who warned me not to buy the pram I wanted, purely because it weighs 12kg is amazing.... seriously if I can't lift 12kg in and out of the car, I'd be ashamed!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I just joined this site to lose my baby weight.....then I started noticing all the women with super hot bodies, seemed they all lifted weights...

So I thought I'd give it a go and to my surprise I ENJOY it and I am amazed how much difference it has made to my body in a much shorter time than all the cardio in the world would ever have done!

I used to suffer from terrible lower back pain....not anymore!

Try it, what have you got to lose?

Me, too. After having six babies, I learned to like my body again...weights made an amazing difference.
    And then I was so hot, I got pregnant again. :bigsmile: I continued with weight training well into my third trimester, this was my easiest pregnancy, and recovery has been lightening quick. Coincidence? I think not.

To the OP-- :drinker:

SIX BABIES?!? And ANOTHER ONE?!? You deserve to have a statue erected in your honor, woman!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • norabb90
    norabb90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yay! Strength training for the win
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Great post. Lifting at any age is good. For those of you in your late teens and early twenties, START NOW. I was an athlete in college and did tons of endurance weight training (moderate weight, high reps). Doing that consistently back then laid my foundation for the rest of my life. I am 100% convinced that I would be much much heavier than I am now (I'm 41) if I had never lifted. I've always found that once I start lifting again, I improve very quickly. Muscles have memory (my anecdotal evidence).

I'm two months into P90x and am really looking forward to being finished with it (I HAVE to finish it this time, since I made it through 2/3 the last time I started it) so that I can get into some real lifting again.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am sure like minded people will praise your utter rudeness. Perhaps you should spend more time working on your abrasivness and less time ridiculing others. If you don't like what someone says about weight lifting, then speak your mind and move on. Those who don't want to do that have their own reasons. Condescending arrogance will motivate no one.

You are one of the two (just joined, no progress) people that said this in a thread that's at five pages of people going, "YEAH. RIGHT ON."

Re-evaluate.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yep, my mum has severe osteoporosis and her Dr said me and my sister have to be really careful about diet etc to try and avoid it. That's why I lift weights! My sister unfortunately refuses to do any exercise except cardio. Apparently wanting muscles is weird :-/
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Shut up is such a rude thing to say to people that I can't read your post.

Can I give you a dollar to shut your pie hole? How about a dollar for 10 pounds you squat.
    From your profile, that might work.

Bwaaahahahahaaa, oh SNAP!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    To the OP, you are right on.
    As an RN who works in orthopedics, I see the results when people do not take care of their bodies. It is not pretty. I wish I could convince all of my family and friends that weights will help them remain mobile and healthy. When I first mentioned to my mom that I would be lifting heavy she was appalled and actually told me that women who lift weights are gross. That was 7 months, 13lbs, and 10 inches ago.
    I will be 30 this year and I wish I had started a long time ago. I had 3 kids in 4 years and thought there was no way I'd ever have a normal body again. Heavy lifting is transforming me into something even better than I had before kids.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this

ETA: Oh, and OP - yay. :flowerforyou:
  • marywanoKC
    Options
    *standing ovation*

You know, I might still be fat, but I feel the muscle under all of this jiggle now, and let me tell you, it feels amazing, and I feel healthier. You're right, we won't always be young, and it's the choices that we make NOW that affect our mobility and how we feel later on in life.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

You are one of the two (just joined, no progress) people that said this in a thread that's at five pages of people going, "YEAH. RIGHT ON."

Re-evaluate.

Your point? Are saying that people new to the site and just getting their weight loss going are not just as entitled to comment? See my previous comment in that case.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Another one who loses out due to extreme sensitiviy and taking offense to the tone of posts on the internet but can take the time to post about it instead of working out or something else productive. Sounds legit.

And what are YOu doing? YOU don't know what I do. Unless you follow me around all day, you will never know what I do.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    To OP, thank you. I spent my 20s and much of my 30s running, and wondering why I never got faster. Lifting heavy has made me faster than ever before, and I'll be 40 before long. You are completely correct on every single count.

My twin!!! This is me, exactly!

( I:heart: running AND lifting!)
This discussion has been closed.