Father brings his daughter into the men's locker room

Options

Replies

• DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My dad used to take me into the men's locker room at the YMCA when I took swimming lessons. The story goes that I noticed a man with a long ponytail (it was the '70s) and said loudly "Daddy!! I never saw a girl with a penis before!!!"

At the Fitness Center where I work, children under 5 must be with their parent in the adult locker room, children over 5 must go to the children's locker rooms. Except for children with special needs.

I don't understand the problem really. Is it better to leave a little girl alone in the women's locker room and expect her to manage on her own and to trust that nobody shady is in there with her while she's uncared for? She's four. She can not go into a public locker room alone. She is much much safer being with her father where he can keep her safe and keep her with him.

I agree. The child isn't sexualizing the behavior, adults around her are. She could careless that you have a penis. She isn't in there looking to sneak a peek. Get over it.
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    well find the sign that says family room... like people in wheelchairs do not have to pee there pants, children do not either.. there is bathrooms for people who have a wheelchair/walker etc..and for FAMILIES...
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    It would be a different story if it was a mother bringing her son into the change room wouldnt it?
  • amanda_catherine
    Options
    I do not understand why some people clearly ignore the family rooms ? why purposely have your lil girl walking around with men who have there junk out... honestly people ewww
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Errrr, wait. Now I feel dumb. Is the family locker room really small and just for one family to use at a time? That makes more sense. :)
  • Cindykitch
    Cindykitch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i agree a young girl should not be in a room full of naked men..anything could happen
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Being the father of a 5 year old daughter, I'm happy to say I've never been faced with having to make this decision. If there's family locker rooms, problem solved. Otherwise, what can the guy do? I still bring my daughter into the men's room (not locker room) with me when out in public. It's uncomfortable and I HATE it every time. I pick her up, cover her eyes, and tell her not to look, lol. I wish there was some type of rule/handbook/law/safe room room for these type situations.

All that being said, I would ALWAYS try to keep my daughter out of room full of swinging ding a lings......
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I do not understand why some people clearly ignore the family rooms ? why purposely have your lil girl walking around with men who have there junk out... honestly people ewww

Not every gym/ymca/ect has a family room. Infact a lot of public places don't have them either. I'd rather bring my kids, or my husband bring our kids into the bathroom/changing rooms with them than something horrible happen to them. I don't care if it makes you uncomfortable. Your comfort is not of my concern. My kids safety is.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    i agree a young girl should not be in a room full of naked men..anything could happen

Yes. Literally anything could happen. OMG.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not sure if insane, but you're waaaay overreacting. Suck it up and cover yourself with a towel. Either way, 4 year old are not traumatized for life by seeing the human form. And neither are the adults that are seen by them.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    great topic...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Errrr, wait. Now I feel dumb. Is the family locker room really small and just for one family to use at a time? That makes more sense. :)

Yes! Unless you imagine everyone in at the same time (men with their daughters/ women with their sons) which would completely defeat the purpose.
  • cubbies77
    Options

She was with her father. She wasn't alone in there.
  • cubbies77
    Options

Yes! Unless you imagine everyone in at the same time (men with their daughters/ women with their sons) which would completely defeat the purpose.

That's why I felt dumb. *blush*
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I soul and have had a fit if there was a 4yr old boy in the locker room. Not not a good idea and this dad had a choice to take her to a family room. If she sees her dad named at home that is not appropriate either. OUTRAGEOUS

How is that outrageous? Nudity isn't something to be ashamed of. Yes, we have laws against running around naked(although in NY women are allowed to be topless and on Fire Island you're allowed to be naked on the beaches), but come on now! Not everyone is a pervert......what if they're nudists, or hippies? The human body is nothing to be ashamed of.

[[[Nudity is certainly nothing shameful.
    however that's not the world we live in. We live in a world where people deserve privacy and also some men and women really dont like children seeing THEM naked. I mean okay - maybe if it were our own parents but really, i dont want my child seeing 10 other guys butt *kitten* naked in a gym locker room (of opposite sex). It's just not right. While you may agree its okay for your children, most people arent comfortable being nude around other peoples kids, i know i certainly wouldnt - only for the sake of being respectful and graceful. My son is four, i no longer take him into the womens bathroom for the sake of other peoples opinions and how they feel about privacy. Some people are super private. i do admit that women are more softer about this as we are mostly all moms. however I do believe that with little girls, it is a whole new scenario. I REALLY wouldnt want my 4 year old daughter in the mens locker room! ick!]]]

i don't like being naked period but i don't want a kid to see me. it my right it does say mens room for a reason. i don't like my body but i'm not going home drenched in sweat either. sure kids don't understand but what about us guys who have no kids. its just wrong when you have a family room
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    well find the sign that says family room... like people in wheelchairs do not have to pee there pants, children do not either.. there is bathrooms for people who have a wheelchair/walker etc..and for FAMILIES...

I have never been into a restaurant with a family restroom. Or a grocery store for that matter, unless we are talking about Walmart. Or a movie theater. Or most other places that I can think of. Walmart, that's all I could come up with. Your kid must have a bladder of steel compared to my boys!!! When they have to go... they have to GO NOW!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Haha! I don't know anything about the family rooms either! You might be right though. The family bathrooms at the mall are just private bathrooms.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "I don't see what the big deal is" camp. I get the whole decency and privacy argument and I admit that I'm not thrilled when I see little boys in the women's locker room. But seriously, I give it less than a few seconds thought. And I can't honestly believe that a child - even four years old - is going to scarred for life because they see random body parts. It just ain't that serious.
  • RRT_RCP
    RRT_RCP Posts: 169 Member
    Options

There is only ONE location I have seen a family room and it was at a mall.

Family rooms are not everywhere.

Usually there is a handicap stall IN the regular men or women restroom.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

No... nothing really happens. Bunch of naked old men with balls hanging down to their knees are walking around and bunch of young guys are trying to find the quietest corner and avoiding eye contact and putting on clothes. This is about the extent of male locker room.

The point of the thread is, that even at the small age of 4, many people do not want girls in the locker room. Not because "anything could happen" but rather because whats happening isn't suitable for a 4 years old girl.