Women on the front lines??

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm just passing along the information given to me. Not arguing. I'm out. Same as any other thread, you don't hear what you like, so it must be wrong.
    Well I have to say, it's nice to know that freaking Newt Gingrich posts on here.
    You ought to be a-freaking-shamed of yourself you ignorant twit of a man.

If you can call yourself that.
    A REAL man knows a woman can do anything a man can do, except provide semen.
    UGH
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm just passing along the information given to me. Not arguing. I'm out. Same as any other thread, you don't hear what you like, so it must be wrong.
    Well I have to say, it's nice to know that freaking Newt Gingrich posts on here.

UGH

wow! that was low brow
  • oregonzoo
    Options

UGH

wow! that was low brow
    Honestly, I don't care.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    That opportunity and ability is not the issue.

That there needs to be the recognition, that culturally this needs to be done in a manner that doesn't rock the boat too badly.

Acknowledge that prejudice exists, and it just won't go away if you give it enough time.

Just because a woman passes doesn't mean she should be thrown to the wolves, whether she volunteered or not, someone is still responsible for her well being. Volunteering doesn't mean you just get to go. Service in the military is a privilege, not a right, don't ever forget that.

id like to think most military members wouldnt mistreat someone just because they are a woman...but you seem to think otherwise....thats a shame.

but if a woman meets the criteria and wants to do it she should have that right. and whoever steps out of line should be punished.

and isnt any job a privilege and not a right?
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What? no. it's about how many slots are open in the rank above you. It's a points based system based on the schools you take and your performance... there's no bonus points exclusive to men from combat... arguments could have been made for the CIB as it's an infantry exclusive award, but now that there's a CAB that argument is moot.

"The new report by a panel of retired and current military officers says that keeping women out of combat units prohibits them from serving in roughly 10 percent of Marine Corps and Army occupational specialties and thus is a barrier to promotions and advancement."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41083172/ns/us_news-life/t/military-commission-lift-ban-allow-women-combat/

"The ACLU filed the suit, Hegar, et al. v. Panetta, on behalf of four female service members who said despite fighting on the front lines in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Department of Defense's formal policy hampered their ability to get the same kind of promotions and awards as their male counterparts."

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2013/jan/23/ap-ban-women-combat-lifted/
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    "I'm old fashioned" is a cop out. Can we stop pretending that it's anything else?

Same qualifications, same opportunities. That is how it should be.
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Haha!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    When the president's own daughters are willing to go on the front line, I'd feel a little better about it. Yeah yeah, I know...they're too young. See, our society has fellas looking out for the women, traditionally. This is an added burden to those men who are on the front lines working with these women in that they may feel obligated. Here's the dirty little secret...women have been serving on the front lines for a while, but now they're talking about lightening up on the requirements for special ops so women can qualify. That's like a slap in the face to women everywhere. I've known some women who could walk circles around a fella. Yeah, I have some issues with it.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    23517833.jpg

END THREAD
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Mission first, that's all I'm saying.

AMEN! That's what I've said all along. There's a difference between the "necessity" of having women on the front line (metaphorically speaking) and the "opportunity" of putting them there. Unfortunately, too few understand the distinction. When push comes to shove, does this improve overall military capability, or is it simply a matter of "feel good" social engineering". If the latter, it has nothing to do with mission accomplishment....
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    not so fast...im not letting it die just yet.

defibrillator-paddles.gif
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    When the president's own daughters are willing to go on the front line, I'd feel a little better about it. Yeah yeah, I know...they're too young. See, our society has fellas looking out for the women, traditionally. This is an added burden to those men who are on the front lines working with these women in that they may feel obligated. Here's the dirty little secret...women have been serving on the front lines for a while, but now they're talking about lightening up on the requirements for special ops so women can qualify. That's like a slap in the face to women everywhere. I've known some women who could walk circles around a fella. Yeah, I have some issues with it.
    "it ain't me, it ain't me... I ain't no fortunate one"
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

AMEN! That's what I've said all along. There's a difference between the "necessity" of having women on the front line (metaphorically speaking) and the "opportunity" of putting them there. Unfortunately, too few understand the distinction. When push comes to shove, does this improve overall military capability, or is it simply a matter of "feel good" social engineering". If the latter, it has nothing to do with mission accomplishment....

it makes us better. unless you believe there isnt 1 woman in the country that could do the job.

or should we make them prove it first ...like the all black units of bygone days? we could have a female only special forces unit and see how they do...

hmmm thats not a bad idea for a movie.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love women.

That's all I got...

:flowerforyou: :smile:
  • Tatonka_usn
    Options
    obviously the military disagrees with you. they seem to think women in combat is viable.

Hate to break the news to you, but what senior military leadership believes is often a reflection more of political policy than the perception at the deckplate/troop level. Remember senior leaderhip is traditionally removed from the action and out of touch with reality on the ground.....so this isn't exaclty a relevant observation.....
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Coming Summer 2014....Dawn Patrol.

An all female special forces unit led by Dawn Steele takes on international terrorists, pirates and drug traffickers.

tag line:

"The sun never sets on the Dawn Patrol"

edit to add: All rights reserved.
  • oregonzoo
    Options

Haha!
    I am so pleased that somebody actually got that.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    obviously the military disagrees with you. they seem to think women in combat is viable.

Hate to break the news to you, but what senior military leadership believes is often a reflection more of political policy than the perception at the deckplate/troop level. Remember senior leaderhip is traditionally removed from the action and out of touch with reality on the ground.....so this isn't exaclty a relevant observation.....

then im glad our politicians are forcing them to do it. at least someone has some common sense.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Options

it makes us better. unless you believe there isnt 1 woman in the country that could do the job.

or should we make them prove it first ...like the all black units of bygone days? we could have a female only special forces unit and see how they do...

hmmm thats not a bad idea for a movie.

I'm sorry, but what does the premise of "better" have to do mission accomplishment. That's a subjective topic on which civilians have the leisure to pontificate, while those of us in uniform are not so lucky.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    can we get past the whole I can do what you can do bit?

Ability isn't the issue with integration... it's about prejudice and culture that needs to be slowly changed.

Sadly this is also the same mentality that is causing the sexual assult issues in the military.

And I disagree with your post. Maybe in the Army you are brought up to think the way you do. But believe me, you put a woman SAR swimmer next to a male SAR swimmer and they get the same exact respect in the Coast Guard. Why? Because we see each other as a team. It is that plain and simple. In the Coast Guard we are brought up from boot camp trusting each other. You have to. You have to believe that the boarding team member next to you is capable of getting their job done, just as they in trust you with the same trust.