Online Relationships...

Options

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I just married my online sweety...and I tell everyone how we met.

Keep your head up high, girl!!! It's 2013 and that's the way it is for a LOT of people now.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I would totally use a paid online dating service if I was single. My cousin met her wonderful and successful husband online, I think it takes some of the guess work out of meeting some one compatible - you can do everything online now, why not date!
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a dating site, and there is nothing wrong with it, as long as you are cautious and careful, right??? Frankly, it's no stranger, or more dangerous, than meeting some drunk at a dance club.... I don't get peoples fear of the online thing either. Just don't be an idiot and throw all in before you KNOW them, and obviously you KNOW him.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i think the "you met him online, you don't know who he *really* is" is ridiculous! because anyone can be so certain that the guy they met at the park, grocery store, bar, church is who they say they are. people can lie if the want to and how you meet them has no bearing on it in any way!

that said i met my husband online. married 2 years come may. together 5 come june.
  • KellyDeitrick
    KellyDeitrick Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them at all. I met my husband online and we have been married over 15 years! What is the difference of meeting at school, church, work or a bar. You still need time to get to know each other. Obviously you have been around him for 6 months, like any relationship, it takes time to get to know someone no matter how you met.

Good luck!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    well online dating is very dangereous... because many things can go wrong... have you heard of the match.com lady who got stabbed by a man she broke up with.. also that show catfish shows that people are not always what they seem to be...

BUT on the bright side i have met someone online once and we partied and drank together and he ended up dating my close friend because i set them up!!! so meeting someone online can be ok sometimes!!!! lol.. you can actually meet really nice people online and its a bit more exciting because you get to know the personality first lol....
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    What connects you doesn't matter, all the stuff that comes after that is what keeps you together. I mean, seriously it is 2013....who isn't on a computer??
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was out to dinner with my friend tonight and we got onto the topic of my boyfriend, of 6 months and someone overheard us talking and got involved in our conversation and it came out that my boyfriend and I met online. To which I was immediately told "You shouldn't broadcast that" later after this person had to-my-knowledge exited the conversation me and my friend were talking about her helping me and my boyfriend move into our apartment. To which this person starts laughing and saying things like "really you dont even know him you met online" and "hide your valuables he'll rob you blind" and kept laughing about it.

I got to thinking. Is it really so bad that the guy I'm seeing and moving in with is a person, who lives only 20 minutes from me, that I wouldn't of met if I hadn't been on a dating website? I mean, before his family met me even he lied and said that we met "at the mall" So should I really be trying to cover-up how we met?

For me it isn't a big deal that we met online as the majority of my relationships and dates happened with somebody that I met off of myyearbook/meetme so its my normal. But is online dating seriously that looked down upon?

Whats your opinion of online dating? Is it something that you have done or would ever consider? If you have done it how did it work out?

I met my boyfriend online and things have been going great. Known each other for three months and things couldn't be better.

I wouldn't move in with someone that quickly though, I personally would wait until we had known each other a year.

Who cares what other people think, all that matters is that you met them and they make you happy!
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online while he was deployed and we agreed to not date any one till he got home- we have been dating over a year and he is moving in with me in less then a week. I tell anyone who asks that we met on a online dating website, and I usually smile really evily about it too :devil: like go ahead and judge me
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance online we are getting married in October. I think personally you know someone better when chatting online. Knowing someone inside and out (we used to chat on the phone for hrs on end) before meeting them is better than getting drunk in a pub or something! My partner moved into my house 5 months after we met and we have never looked back, best decision ever! When you find that one, it doesn't matter how you met!
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ive met people online - some have worked and some havent.....exactly the same as meeting them in a bar, at work or down the street....its only an act of introduction....the rest is up to you both to see if there is anything there. :)...*sigh, recently single - so I shall have to go back to it now.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've used online before and in my experience I find people lie an awful lot and can hide behind who they wish they were not who they are. Which kind of sucks when you meet them in person and it feels like you've never met them before.

But if you find someone online , I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    well online dating is very dangereous... because many things can go wrong... have you heard of the match.com lady who got stabbed by a man she broke up with.. also that show catfish shows that people are not always what they seem to be...

because something like that has never once happened to a woman who met a man in a more traditional setting.
  • FindYourTruth
    FindYourTruth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfreind online (actually Chemistry.com) and I don't do the online thing typically because yes, I have had some bad experiences where when I actually got to know the person, they were not at all how they described in value or lifestyle.

This last time, it was on a whim to sign up, and I wanted to try to go ahead meet someone in a healthier way where I could get to know someones values before meeting them/connect on deeper levels. I felt I knew what I was looking for, and would watch for the "red flags" and ask a lot of questions before meeting this time. You are in control online, you can direct the conversations, and say "good-bye" at anytime with a click of a button if it doesn't sit right in your core.

So, with that said, yes, I have had bad experiences, and no, you don't really know someone until you get to know them in person, but clearly you HAVE done that. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

I would never have met my boyfriend if we didn't meet online, and he really is the best relationship I have ever had. I'm glad I gave it another go. I feel that he and I got to know eachother on a much more personal level then if we met at a bar or something (which I don't do).

Clearly that person that entered in your conversation either has no experience with today's dating world, has been in thier relationship forever, has no relationship at all, or is just plain miserable in thier current relationship, either way, the individual did not understand your situation, and that is exactly what it is......Your Situation.

So, always follow your truth, and your heart, you have the answers you need within.

Good luck!
  • jamaicasunshine
    jamaicasunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I met my husband randomly on a chat site 13 years ago! We've been married for 7 this year. We lived 20 hours drive apart but after two visits in 2 months i knew he was the one for me and i moved halfway across the country to be with him :) I know what you mean, even though its more common then not these days there is still a sort of stigma attached to meeting online. For a lot of years we made up crazy stories, whatever worked at the time but as time went on we really started not to care anymore what people thought. There will always be cynics out there! If you're happy, that is all that matters! :)
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    When you meet someone online you connect emotionally with each other. When you finally meet face to face the connection is strong. I think too many relationships start out with physical attraction.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Whats your opinion of online dating?
    Is it something that you have done or would ever consider?
    If you have done it how did it work out?

Meeting online is probably a bit better than meeting when one or both of you are liquored up in a dark club!!

Yes, I have done it, it was great fun.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with meeting online? Most of us spend a large portion of our time on the internet nowadays, either for work or social/leisure. I have met many people online. It's not 1998 where it is more of a creepy/foreign concept. It's integrated in our every day lives. I thank God every day I met my boyfriend because he is absolutely perfect for me, and we met online because we were both interested in expanding outside our social circles. We've been together well over a year now

Your friend needs to get a clue and stop being so insensitive. I am very sorry she treated you that way and belittled your relationship. Please talk to her about it!
  • bethanykf
    Options

because something like that has never once happened to a woman who met a man in a more traditional setting.

^^ Exactly ^^ This kind of thing can happen no matter whether you met someone online or they're your high school sweetheart. Anyone can be crazy. :/
  • chevzchanel
    Options
    Nothing to be ashamed of, it is quite popular nowadays. I have several friends and cousins who are happily married with a guy they met online.