Butthurt

Options
12345679»

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    The term butthurt isn't even new. I've heard it for years, used it on occasion, but I think it has gotten more popular lately. I had a friend that used the word incessantly and I stopped hanging out with her in 2005.

The term "catfish" was new to me and I only learned of it following that whole fake girlfriend scam with Manti Te'o. I guess there is a show called Catfish on MTV but since I'm kinda old now I think MTV sucks since they dont just play music videos. At first I assumed the person being scammed is the catfish (like scammers go fishing for victims) and now I am to understand that the one perpetuating the scam. Ok I think I got it, I can go back to not caring.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Okay, besides all the other crazy inappropriate junk going on in this thread that I'm going to just ignore, "butthurt" is actually a rape joke.

And it's 100% not okay to joke about rape- it's offensive and insensitive to rape survivors and promotes treating this super serious thing with a casualness that's not okay. Essentially, joking about rape makes raping or being a victim of rape a joke.

Stop using it people, seriously.

Did you read that on the Internet?

Butthurt is *NOT* a rape joke. It is in reference to how one's butt feels after it gets kicked. Metaphorically hurting after getting it metaphorically kicked, as it is commonly used today.

No it's a rape thing. Sorry if you think you know but you don't. It's definitely a rape inspired phrase. Has to do with weird initiations and stuff.

Holy crap. Someone claims I'm wrong on the Internet because they know what the right meaning is.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    My fiance's 19 year old sister had MTV something or other on the other day, and some guy came on singing a song about his 'guap'. Guap is an entirely made up word. It does not exist outside of this song. Who just makes up new words?!?!?! And then writes a song about it!? No one knows what you are talking about!!!!!!

Apparently 'Swerve' has attained a new meaning, something to do with relationships now. I'm a little unclear on that one, not gonna lie. I despise when kids shorten words like 'cray' instead of crazy, or 'awk' instead of awkward. Really. Is two syllables that difficult for you to articulate?

Oh, this "cray cray" fad annoys the *kitten* out of me. Probably more than any other saying. Seriously people, you sound like a 14 year old girl saying that!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Okay, besides all the other crazy inappropriate junk going on in this thread that I'm going to just ignore, "butthurt" is actually a rape joke.

And it's 100% not okay to joke about rape- it's offensive and insensitive to rape survivors and promotes treating this super serious thing with a casualness that's not okay. Essentially, joking about rape makes raping or being a victim of rape a joke.

if we are going to say its not okay to joke about something cause its offensive or insensitive then the world will be a much sadder place. Sure some jokes are in bad taste or inappropriately funny but i cant think of a subject that should be off limits unless it is directly about a particular person and not about a generalized group.

so basically no more blonde jokes
    no more dead baby jokes
    no more jokes about pigs that fell in the mud

what a unhumorous life you must lead
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    #yolooooooo

Seriously.. this whole HASHTAG **** is annoying, its a twitter thing, otherwise it just looks derpish.

Also.. YOLOOO... shoot that crap to death.

#DAT *kitten* ;D

I love your pic in all seriousness!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options

Butthurt is *NOT* a rape joke. It is in reference to how one's butt feels after it gets kicked. Metaphorically hurting after getting it metaphorically kicked, as it is commonly used today.

No it's a rape thing. Sorry if you think you know but you don't. It's definitely a rape inspired phrase. Has to do with weird initiations and stuff.

Holy crap. Someone claims I'm wrong on the Internet because they know what the right meaning is.

I am a "rape survior" and I am not offended by the term butthurt whatsoever.. In fact I say it quite frequently.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I am a "rape survior" and I am not offended by the term butthurt whatsoever.. In fact I say it quite frequently.

glad you havent let that define you. hopefully youre able to share your exp and how you have dealt with it to others

also you (not you specifically but you generally) dont here me telling people no more big penis jokes......
  • jersey_jenn
    jersey_jenn Posts: 122 Member
    Options

guess it really is safe to camp out on your lawn after all ;P
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    Ooh! Oooh! I've got one! Cheesin!! Use it a lot. Cheesing=a huge smile
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options

glad you havent let that define you. hopefully youre able to share your exp and how you have dealt with it to others

also you (not you specifically but you generally) dont here me telling people no more big penis jokes......

Thank you :) You can't let things control you forever or else we wouldn't accomplish anything. Also, I tell my friends about my oversized penis all the time! The world would be a much darker place without all the sarcasm and jokes. ;)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

if we are going to say its not okay to joke about something cause its offensive or insensitive then the world will be a much sadder place. Sure some jokes are in bad taste or inappropriately funny but i cant think of a subject that should be off limits unless it is directly about a particular person and not about a generalized group.

so basically no more blonde jokes
    no more dead baby jokes
    no more jokes about pigs that fell in the mud

what a unhumorous life you must lead

I'm sorry but I disagree. There is a reason rape jokes stand apart from the others. And that reason is that rapes happen at an alarmingly high rate and go largely unprosecuted. We do live in a rape culture. Blonde jokes and pigs falling in mud jokes don't condone violence against blonds and pigs. Dead baby jokes are tasteless, but we don't live in a world where people go about murdering babies and get away with it (I will not discuss abortion here)..... But rape is a serious problem. 1 in 6 women have experienced rape or attempted rape (http://www.911rape.org/facts-quotes/statistics)...and that is a low estimate. Some statistics say as high as 1 in four (http://www.oneinfourusa.org/statistics.php). And the vast majority of rapes go unreported and unprosecuted. We live in a world where rapists walk around freely. I know ten, personally, who never were punished for their crimes. And the women who survived that have serious trauma issues.

When people tell rape jokes, they mean no harm. I understand this. But consider that when you tell a rape joke, count the number of women witnessing it, assume somewhere between 1 in four or 1 in 6 have actually been traumatized by rape. Also assume that some of the men listening are in fact rapists, and that those rapists may interpret your joke as condoning their actions. Most rapists don't think there is anything wrong with rape. And rape jokes are a part of the culture that condones this violence.

This video was taken at a party where a girl was being raped. This is a very real problem.
    http://youtu.be/unW2jUOQNTY

all that being said, I don't think it helps anyone to claim that something is a rape joke when it isn't.
    Part of making a change in the world around you is to not have knee jerk reactions to everything, and only call **** out when it is **** that needs to be called out.

I don't have any issue with the word "butthurt."
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmm...thought this was a thread about hemorrhoids.*sigh*
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    this is one rape joke I did find funny, tho... so there are always exceptions:

http://www.upworthy.com/a-male-comedian-just-talked-about-rape-and-only-offended-people-who-were-asking
  • AmandasaurasRex
    Options
    Ummmmmm...thought this was a thread about hemorrhoids.*sigh*
    It's okay. It happens sometimes. :flowerforyou:
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

guess it really is safe to camp out on your lawn after all ;P

That's it, I'm getting my cane.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Ooh! Oooh! I've got one! Cheesin!! Use it a lot. Cheesing=a huge smile
    I've heard cheesing before, but not in that sense...

191541.jpg