Can letting yourself go ruin a relationship?

Options

Replies

• nobadkitty
    Options
    I had a similar experience as Shellie - some men are insecure and not only that, in my case, the man wanted to be in control. So on one hand he would say to me that I need to lose a bunch of weight, and once I started and was really taking off, I gained the confidence and respect in myself, which he really did not like, and told me to please stop dieting and exercising and to gain weight again. It was that straight forward. I still shake my head, what a mindf**k.

. I mean, it's not the weight that is the issue, it is insecurity that ruins it, especially if a partner can't handle the changes that the other person is making. In that case, the relationship was not built on a very solid foundation to begin with.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think this plays a big role plus belly bumping is not cute. Working out together to help motivate your partner showing you care is a good way of working it in and not just saying "Babe your fat"
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Most definitely.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This happened to my best friend and her highschool sweetheart... she was always thin and fairly active. He got fat... I mean like gross fat. She wasn't attracted to him anymore and told him he needed to do something about it, but he refused. He constantly wanted intimacy and she told him no. She thought he was disgusting when he was naked. Eventually she had enough and ended their engagement. After they ended things, he started going to the gym and lost the weight and became even more attractive then he was when they met, haha.

She just had my godson last October and put on weight. Her husband is crazy fit and she was able to drop most of the weight in the past year, she put effort in and he helped.

I don't think I could be with someone who just stopped caring about themselves. I keep my butt in shape and work my butt off, therefore, my significant other should do the same... and he does! lol

Wow i guess the term "for better or worse" didnt apply to her huh? She must not have truly loved him for him but only for his body how sad.

She tried pushing him to go even go walk with her, he would refuse and argue with her... it was a bad situation. He was able, but he just refused to better himself. I can't say I blame her! She is MUCH happier now :)

I think she did the right thing. If he was letting himself go and getting that 'comfortable/uncaring' when they were engaged, imagine how bad it would have been if they'd gone through with the wedding. Only downhill from there. Everyone has to do the right thing to make themselves happy in life, better to end it sooner than later with a messy divorce.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "ruin".

If my man were to become depressed, gain weight, stop caring about anything and so on I'd worry about his health and well being and I'd want to be supportive and do my best to help him turn stuff around. I'd be patient while he gets there. We all have ups and downs. It wouldn't be GREAT for the relationship, but it wouldn't leave us in ruins either. As long as he recognized the issues and was willing to work on them things could work out OK.

If he cheated on me? Yeah, there's no coming back from that. That's something that would ruin a relationship.

That's my perpective.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the level of commitment in the relationship. Newly or casually dating? Sure, end it if you're no longer attracted to them. Commited/married? I think you owe it to the commitment you've made to love them regardless of appearance and (kindly) help them get healthy if it's reaching a level where it can infringe on their health.

I've gained weight since we got married (desk job, two pregnancies...no excuse, but that's what happened) and he hasn't. At my heaviest he still told me I was beautiful.

There are some amazing looking people with horrid personalities. I'll take my kind, hardworking, hilarious husband any day even if he did gain some weight. There's much more to a long lasting relationship than looks.
  • bekinator
    bekinator Posts: 103
    Options
    if it breaks you two, then the love never went very deep.

love is an outward motion, not a game of checks & balances.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the level of commitment in the relationship. Newly or casually dating? Sure, end it if you're no longer attracted to them. Committed/married? I think you owe it to the commitment you've made to love them regardless of appearance and (kindly) help them get healthy if it's reaching a level where it can infringe on their health.

You don't owe anyone anything - you both should have the respect to love each and consider each others feelings. If he/she starts drinking/drugs/gambling etc etc would you just accept it? I personally don't want a partner shortening their life thro increased amounts of food. The fact that mortality rates have increased to 1 in 3 from heart related diseases and 1 in 5 diabetes related illnesses tells me looking for a healthy partner is the right thing to do. I don't want to be alone from 50-60 on because my other half has died due to diet.
    I've gained weight since we got married (desk job, two pregnancies...no excuse, but that's what happened) and he hasn't. At my heaviest he still told me I was beautiful.

See my previous post, he'll never admit it.
    There are some amazing looking people with horrid personalities. I'll take my kind, hardworking, hilarious husband any day even if he did gain some weight. There's much more to a long lasting relationship than looks.

There are some horrific overweight looking people too. I regularly get slagged off by others who are not in a healthy position. Correlation is not causation.
    if it breaks you two, then the love never went very deep.

love is an outward motion, not a game of checks & balances.

See above...
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If your relationship is new or is based mostly on physicality, then I suppose it can take a big hit of one/both people "let themselves go" - that can include dressing style, not shaving, gaining weight, etc. If your relationship is really based on more than that, and you love the person within, not just from the outside, then that person's sex appeal, in your eyes, will not change in any way...

I was on the road to losing weight before I met my husband and being in a new relationship, I did not have time to log my calories. I was just enjoying going out to dinners, doing whatever we wanted, etc. I gained back what I lost and then some. And that's when he proposed. I love knowing that no matter what my outer appearance is like (whether I have stretch marks, a bad hair day, gained a little, lost a little, forgot to pluck my eye brows, etc.) my husband loves me because of who I am and how I make him feel.... It's how I know that no matter how old/gray I will get, our relationship will stay grounded and secure.

That's love to me.
  • heatheral3
    Options
    I think it can. When I think of "letting yourself go", this does not include health or physical reasons there may be for gaining weight. I feel that letting yourself go is when you develop a lack of caring. That can cause a lot more problems than just weight gain. When I met my husband I was skinny and he was bigger. Then he started losing weight and I got pregnant. 2 years later, we are just now getting to the point where I can make a serious effort to workout and eat healthy. His weight has gone up and down this whole time. Through it all, he made it very clear that he loves me and thinks I am beautiful. Because of this, it was easy to keep the intimacy when I knew he truly meant it. However, I want to be healthier for my husband and myself. I am proud of him, and I want to be the best wife I can be for him. This includes taking care of myself. If either on of us had stopped caring about each other and ourselves, I do think that it couldve caused a rift. If there are other factors to cause the weight, I think true love is understanding and can work through it.
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    If it does, then it was not a healthy relationship. True love has nothing to do with the size of your girth. Yes, some sexual position are difficult, or impossible, if you are obese, but some positions can work no matter your size.

This is a fantasy.

It really is. Not everyone is the same (of course) but a lot of people also severely kid themselves when it comes to themselves and their relationships. Just because your other half is quiet about it, does not mean it's not important. Come on now. I very strongly believe that taking care of yourself is part of taking care of your relationship. People tend to disagree with that, but there's also a general pattern among people who do very strongly disagree with that and like to tear my internet head off about it...... people who don't care very much.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    don't kid yourselves. Of course it can.
  • JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with the original poster. keeping a spark in a marriage is important, and physical attraction plays a HUGE part in a relationship. if my husband just let himself go and stopped trying to eat well, take care of himself physically and/or mentally and ultimately became obese - I'd have a problem with that.

i can't say that we'd separate or get a divorce, but I can say that it would affect my feelings toward him. I think it's important to feel good about yourself and be happy with who you are - both inside and out. I know he wouldn't be happy with himself if he didn't take care of himself and that would ruin the spark...

I think that letting yourself go can ruin your relationship.
  • veschrim
    veschrim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would hate to think that because I was lazy and let myself go that I would just expect my gf to have to put up with me because she loves me.

Sure, it's nice if someone does love you no matter what, but why would you want to force the 'no matter what'?

AMMMENNN. This is the thing i've been holding in from my boyfriend. I can't seem to get him motivated no matter what. We have joined the gym together and I encourage healthy eating choices but all he does is whine about "how gross he is" but then wont do anything to change it. Of course I fell in love with his heart and not his appearance but I feel that if I am working my butt off for this then it is disrespectful for him not to as well... :/ Sighhhhhh Anyone know anything that could help?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I think it can. While your partner will probably love you as a person no matter what, they will probably no longer be in love with you if you really let yourself go.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, but men do care what a woman looks like... Its the first thing they see!

Sorry, but women do too. I don't want my guy to be obese or walking around with a serious beer gut. It's not cute, and it's not attractive to me. Personal taste. He doesn't have to be Mr. Universe hitting the gym, but he's got to take some basic care of himself. Ala know when to put the fork down. :smile:

It's like when you walk in a guy's house and it's a straight up pig pin. Not cute. His body is his house too.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If it does, then it was not a healthy relationship. True love has nothing to do with the size of your girth. Yes, some sexual position are difficult, or impossible, if you are obese, but some positions can work no matter your size.

This is a fantasy.

Exactly.

If you want to believe it go ahead. Just realize most men will disagree and you are likely setting yourself up for eventual disappointment.

Agreed - You can love someone and not be physically attracted to them. One thing I have found out is how I feel about myself makes a big difference in how attractive I am at any weight. My husband loves me dearly, we have an awesome relationship but I let myself go and he eventually told me very gently that he was not as attracted to me as when we first met. I have not lost a lot but I feel so much better about myself that he says I can be heavier and be hot if I exude the confidence I have lately. I carry myself better, smile more and have so much more confidence. We have a healthy relationship because we are able to talk about these things.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    settling down and gaining the inevitable "few pounds" or "few dozen pounds" is one thing.

Gaining weight is not inevitable. I've been married 16 years, 4 kids, better shape now than ever - and with the exception of pregnancies, have stayed within the same 10 lb. weight range for my entire adult life.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it can hurt it. My husband and I have been married for over 13 years, but 5-6 years ago when I was at my heighest weight he didn't find me attracticve. He didn't want to be intimate with me. He actually thought he had an erectile disfuction. He said it wasn't my weight at first but then told me if I lost weight and cleaned the house more he would find me more attractive. Then when I did lose a few pounds he starting coming onto me again, but said it's not because I was losing weight (yeah right!). He also said once when we found out I was pregnant with child #3 that that was the reason I hadn't lost the weight...so I could have another kid but after this one I could lose the weight. Yes we are still married, yes we have talked about this in length. He can't believe some of the things that have come out of his mouth and says he feels bad for it. He tries...for a few days at least be better and then it's back to the same old thing. He is a great dad and he doesn't say stupid comments like this all the time, I have grown quit the backbone about it. But I remind him especially when other guys look my way. But he always comes on to me when I start to lose weight or workout more. He says he still loves me at any weight, but his actions speak otherwise. I just can't seem to get rid of that nagging feeling that if I really let myself go he would change his tune and leave me. Guess it's a good thing I'm not going to!