Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Their food sucks.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    By crap I meant the sugar, fats, MSG, salt etc. that restaurants typically use in marinades/ prep. that most people do nto account for when they dine out. I was not referring to the meat itself, I understand that it is a chain restaurant and they do not use organic meat or abide by the farm to table concept. I was just throwing it out there that if people like going to that restaurant they are offering a lower CALORIE option, they did not post any other nutritional information. You can spend your $150 however you please.

I'm also not saying that they are not using preservatives, salt, sugar, etc. in the lower calorie menu, I was simply saying the calories are counted for you so you don't have to worry that you are missing extras when logging.

I don't care about the preservatives, salt, sugar.

I care that unlike every other place in my town they are not supporting local fisherman. I mean...the ocean is 1/2 hour away and to ship in frozen seafood...gross. They could make an effort to support the local economy and they don't.

You vote with your wallet but I'm going to the seafood place next door...or the steak place next door. At least I know where the other food comes from. A National Chain is not a good use of $150. I don't care how much fun it is.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the melting pot.
    I have two fondue pots and if I make fondue at home it costs next to nothing. If we're going to spend that much on one night out for dinner, we're prob going to go eat sushi.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Their food sucks.

Yep. I prefer the places with local meat, veggies, and seafood.

Promoting a large national chain is not helping your local economy grow.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    By crap I meant the sugar, fats, MSG, salt etc. that restaurants typically use in marinades/ prep. that most people do nto account for when they dine out. I was not referring to the meat itself, I understand that it is a chain restaurant and they do not use organic meat or abide by the farm to table concept. I was just throwing it out there that if people like going to that restaurant they are offering a lower CALORIE option, they did not post any other nutritional information. You can spend your $150 however you please.

Yes, but there's other low calorie drinks that are not pumped full of chemicals.

You can spend your $150 how you please.

In my case I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean. I'm not spending $150 on seafood that's shipped in frozen from places like Asia, South America etc. when the fishermen in my area need the $$. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be for a special occasion. If I spend $150 it's not going to be factory farmed meat and veggies.

Even Chipotle does not use factory farmed meat...and it sure as heck does not cost $150 (including drinks, that's where I got the $150 per couple for TMP)

Wait. You live a half hour from the ocean?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've never understood the melting pot.
    I have two fondue pots and if I make fondue at home it costs next to nothing. If we're going to spend that much on one night out for dinner, we're prob going to go eat sushi.

Agreed. Sushi is a a better splurge and is also a lot of fun. I've never spent $150 for two at a sushi restaurant (the best sushi is in San Francisco IMHO).
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    So onesnap, you're saying you wouldn't go to TMP because it's expensive and the food is factory farmed? Just want to make sure I have that correct- you haven't been quite clear enough :wink:

I agree it's a lot of money to cook your own food- but thanks for sharing this information for those who do like to go!!

Fondue, wherever you have it isn't about cooking your own food. Fondue is an experience, the Melting Pot is an experience. Restaurant.com often has GCs for the meltingpots out there so you can get the price down a bit...

We've gone for our anniversary. A 3 hour experience with no pressure to eat and get out which you often get at the smaller restaurants that need to flip tables.

I haven't been in a few years but I think if I go back that I'll make reservations for a Saturday and have all my extra calories left from my long run so I don't have to stress about what I'm ordering.

I fully agree with this sentiment- I used to love the Metling Pot because it forces you to slow down and enjoy the meal and conversation- it just hasnt been in my budget for a LONG time but I do see the appeal in going for a sepcial occasion...or at least the chocolate on a cheat day!
  • kmmcquay
    kmmcquay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I normally would split it with my fiancé and we only get charged for $45 together. To have the half of everything - it does fill you up.

Every Melting Pot restaurant in every location varies of course.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Yes, but there's other low calorie drinks that are not pumped full of chemicals.

In my case I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean. I'm not spending $150 on seafood that's shipped in frozen from places like Asia, South America etc. when the fishermen in my area need the $$. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be for a special occasion. If I spend $150 it's not going to be factory farmed meat and veggies.

Even Chipotle does not use factory farmed meat...and it sure as heck does not cost $150 (including drinks, that's where I got the $150 per couple for TMP)

Yes. In MA and in Maine. Both houses are 1/2 hour from the ocean (I have a rental property that I check on in between renters). Being less than an hour from mountains and less than an hour from the ocean is how I roll.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've eaten there twice, and have really enjoyed the experience. There isn't a Melting Pot close to me though. I've considered trying to do fondue at home. Especially CHOCOLATE! :)
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I recently saw that The Melting Pot has release a "skinny-dipping" food menu along with "skinny" drinks. The 3 course meal adds up to about 700 calories (not including skinny drinks), which is probably a splurge for a lot of people for one meal. I still think it is exciting that you wouldn't have to sit around and guess how many calories might be in your meal out, and then realize you're probably wrong because of all the extra crap restaurants put in their food. Also, if you're someone who has trouble boxing up half of your meal at a restaurant, you can eat everything and know what the damage is.

Enjoy!

If no one has pointed this out, it only goes through March :cry:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMM we once spent $400 at Craft Steak house in Las Vegas. Wyagu filet minon to melt in your mouth. Now that was a splurge.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I normally would split it with my fiancé and we only get charged for $45 together. To have the half of everything - it does fill you up.

Every Melting Pot restaurant in every location varies of course.

with wine? Last two times with splitting and with wine it came to $150 per couple.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    MMMM we once spent $400 at Craft Steak house in Las Vegas. Wyagu filet minon to melt in your mouth. Now that was a splurge.

Wagu = they play music and massage the cow. Totally worth it. Every cow should get treated as well.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've eaten there twice, and have really enjoyed the experience. There isn't a Melting Pot close to me though. I've considered trying to do fondue at home. Especially CHOCOLATE! :)

at home is so much fun and easy to log. Of course, you can't do it every day but we do it for New Years!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My thoughts...

If I'm going to the melting pot means I'm celebrating something and therefore would probably just have a hiatus unmanaged meal and enjoy!

This is how I look at it also;) We are going to a Brazilian Steak House Saturday and can't wait.....bring on the splurge for the night!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes every restaurant and that's ok, this post was intended for the folks out there who enjoy The Melting Pot.
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it. I live in Michigan. Probably for the best though, $150 is crazy for one meal!

There are two in Michigan, I live here as well! :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    We go once a year so I might have to try this out.
  • jumpingsquare
    jumpingsquare Posts: 10 Member
    Options

+1 :happy:
This discussion has been closed.