You Can Go To The Melting Pot!

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    local people work at the Melting Pot. At the very least, that is supporting the local economy. Its amazing to see a crusade against this business specifically. lol

They are also franchises, so a local person is also owns each store.

Not a crusade against...geez. Clearly you missed my point. Just shop local if you can. If you love National Chains go for it. I don't know a single Melting Pot that supports the local fishermen and farmers.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Melting Pot.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I have a question for OneSnap. Being a Bostonian, where do you stand on Legal Seafood?

Also, having a foot in Maine, do you look down upon someone from, say, Pennsylvania purchasing Maine lobsters from their local grocery's seafood department?

Legals = "meh" Not everyone here likes it really.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

Thanks to ONESNAP, I've never been more motivated to eat at a Melting Pot than I am right now. There's one just 2 miles from my house and I haven't been there in years!
    Making reservations today.

Thanks again ONESNAP.

Get the bananas foster.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This thread is significantly more awesome than I ever thought it could be.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    We get it ONESNAP.. You HATE The Melting Pot... I think the OP was only trying to tell us of a little bit of a healthier way we could eat at that particular restaurant for the people who may actually eat there. I myself have never been, but have always wanted to go. Of course it would be only for a special occasion as the price does seem a little steep.

BUT there is no reason you should continue BASHING people for their opinions or for them trying to give people information that could help them in their journey.. We get that you only like FARM raised animals and FRESH seafood... you dont have to keep trying to beat it into anyones head that has commented on this post... MOVE ALONG!!!

Thanks to ONESNAP, I've never been more motivated to eat at a Melting Pot than I am right now. There's one just 2 miles from my house and I haven't been there in years!
    Making reservations today.

Thanks again ONESNAP.

me too! There is on near me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You know what's even more scrumptuous that the Melting Pot? Doing fondue at home. It's way more fun and costs quite a bit less.

Which reminds me ... it's about time to plan a fondue party..

Oh, but I don't worry about the calories when I have a meal with friends/my husband like this. It's a celebration and I like having those in my life.

Agreed. At home is fun. And the cheese turns out more garlicky which I love.

Why would melted cheese alone be garlicky?
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thats freaking awesome!!! Me and my husband LOVE that place! Now I have an excuse to go for valentines day!
  • kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ick! I was just trying to see the low cal menu for the melting pot...didn't want lectures on how and where to spend my money. That's for the post OP! :)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I have a question for OneSnap. Being a Bostonian, where do you stand on Legal Seafood?

Also, having a foot in Maine, do you look down upon someone from, say, Pennsylvania purchasing Maine lobsters from their local grocery's seafood department?

Not really talking about the quality of food but rather from your support of local business stance.

Also, you skipped my question about Maine Lobsters.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    We get it onesnap, you prefer to get your meats/seafood from other sources and I understand that you are trying to educate everyone, but not everyone is going to agree with you, get over it, that's life. We also get that you live 1/2 hr from the ocean. I'm not trying to be mean, but you sound like you personally think you're better/smarter than anyone else on here. If you're going to troll and try to make people feel less about themselves, then find somewhere else to do it. The OP was just letting people know about a promotion that a certain restaurant was running. Let it go, you have said your piece and some people may take that information, and some may not. You've done what you can do, so back off. I think the information you have provided is interesting and something worth looking into. But you can also start your OWN thread about that information, not destroy this one.

I agree 100% ^^^^^^

This. To each their own. And OneSnap it's called shopping around. I went to TMP with 3 other girlfriends when they had a date night special and we each spent *with drinks, tips and tax* around $50 a person which was a fabulous deal for a rare treat. TMP is a fun place to go for a special occasion and not all of us live near the ocean and have that awesome fresh seafood just hanging out waiting for us to go catch.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That's like 70 calories per hour you're there.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    sure you can go to the Melting Pot....but be prepared to spend $150 per couple.

We avoid that place like the plague. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be meat that's not factory farmed.
    Went with a friend for LUNCH and it was $150....we each had one meat, one salad and one glass of wine....

I was not impressed!:noway:

OP, thanks for sharing though...its always nice to know places are coming out with better options for lower calorie diners!!

thank you. Finally someone else has paid the $150 I spoke of
  • Onesnap
    Options

This. To each their own. And OneSnap it's called shopping around. I went to TMP with 3 other girlfriends when they had a date night special and we each spent *with drinks, tips and tax* around $50 a person which was a fabulous deal for a rare treat. TMP is a fun place to go for a special occasion and not all of us live near the ocean and have that awesome fresh seafood just hanging out waiting for us to go catch.

I don't catch the seafood. I get it from the fish monger at the farmer's market.
  • Onesnap
    Options

It's Onesnap. Small "s"
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I get it. If I were a half hour from the ocean I should go to a local place instead.......But because I am about an hour and a half from the ocean should I just go to Melting Pot instead? I am so torn.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    local people work at the Melting Pot. At the very least, that is supporting the local economy. Its amazing to see a crusade against this business specifically. lol

They are also franchises, so a local person is also owns each store.

Not a crusade against...geez. Clearly you missed my point. Just shop local if you can. If you love National Chains go for it. I don't know a single Melting Pot that supports the local fishermen and farmers.

Clearly you missed many other peoples points that they aren't concerned about local or what not in this instance...?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    sure you can go to the Melting Pot....but be prepared to spend $150 per couple.

We avoid that place like the plague. If I'm going to spend $150 it's going to be meat that's not factory farmed.
    Went with a friend for LUNCH and it was $150....we each had one meat, one salad and one glass of wine....

I was not impressed!:noway:

OP, thanks for sharing though...its always nice to know places are coming out with better options for lower calorie diners!!

thank you. Finally someone else has paid the $150 I spoke of
    My friend had a $100 gift card someone had given her, so we were pretty shocked that we still had to shell out another $50 (and THEN put a tip based on the full amount on top of that!).

EDIT: I see a lot of other people get away much cheaper there, so maybe ours was some expensive wine, but its also likely that the prices vary somewhat in different markets....
  • Onesnap
    Options

Not really talking about the quality of food but rather from your support of local business stance.

Also, you skipped my question about Maine Lobsters.

I guess I should elaborate. My work used to do two dinners per year at Legal's. The management got all wonky and they started to force "extra" steak and lobster dinners on our attendees to take home (they had a quota for the room which was awkward for our attendees). They also made us buy two extra bottles of wine each and take them home. Again, awkward.

We spent $1000s there each year and after that occurred two to three times we took our business next door to an Italian place.

I missed your Lobster question but I do get them local, yes. I get them from a little market in town where the people get them that day (steamers too). There's also seafood CSAs where my friends get the seafood delivered each week from the fishermen. Sorry I missed your Lobster question.

SkipJacks used to be better than legals but the small seafood places (seafood shacks in particular--eat on picnic tables) are well loved by me and all of my friends. I don't have one friend or colleague that LOVES Legal Seafoods. Not because they are local--we used to love them. The management as of late has really been horrible (see example above)
This discussion has been closed.