Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I am a all or nothing kinda gal. I will eat the entire batch of cupcakes or at least eat until they are gone. I will eat the entire bag of chips and then look for more.

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.
  • katelion22
    katelion22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    True. Doritos are not like meth.

Meth makes you skinny.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I generally agree with the post, but I do think it's good if people avoid their "danger foods". I try to limit how many snacks and sweets are in the house because if they're there, I eat them, and usually in regrettably large portions. I choose sugar and trans fat over something nutritious to fit it in my calories. If they're not there, I don't miss them, and it's easy to make healthy choices. I get a little frustrated with those people claiming their coworkers or family are trying to sabotage them because yes, we all control what goes in our mouths. But not having the temptation makes this process a lot easier.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eat Doritos in moderation? Unpossible!

Seriously. It's not even remotely likely.

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.

For you.

I got off a plane yesterday and was hungry. My husband had a bag of doritos with him - healthiest thing in the airport food machine. I ate 4. He ate 2.

We gave the rest of the bag to my skinny 14 year old, who was thrilled because he rarely gets junk food.

People differ.
  • loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post.

IR1FcHN.gif

THIS!
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Its about making good choices, and sometimes the best choice is to not give yourself the choice.

This.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I once tried to eat some doritos

Ended up eating an entire party bag (the $4 bag) in like an hour.

Doritos: Not even once

You mean Doritos: Only once?

OP nice post

For no particular reason

IMG_0570_zpse644bd67.jpg
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Moderation and control is definitely key.
    I have had a brownie or two almost every day this week. I track it and keep going. Love my little fix....
    I have an obsession with popcorn. I eat the whole bag. So I bought the 100 calorie bag. I can eat the whole bag and it's not 300-400 calories.
    But if I had tostitos and dip in the house, I would eat the entire bag and the entire container of dip in less than an hour.
    There are certain foods that weaken our control because we taste it before we eat it. Especially if we are already hungry! I find if I am hungry and go for the snack food, I will eat it all.
    If I don't have snack food in the house, I'm forced to make something more healthy. And if I make it, then I'm more conscious of what I'm eating. Less chance of going overboard....

If I had 5 bags of tostitos in the house with 5 containers of dip, I would be eating it for dinner 5 days in the week.

Moderation and control is definitely key. But knowing your weaknesses and steering cleer of "trigger foods" is also key. Especially in the beginning. As time goes on, you can learn to incorporate those foods in.

A year ago, if I bought the container of brownies I would have eaten them all in 2 days. Now, I can buy the container and have 0-2 a day and be fine.

It's all about knowing yourself.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    People that suffer from binge eating, often have to avoid certain foods, situations, and temptations to stay on track. Don't judge if you've never been there.

It's like saying, I only smoke in "moderation"
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.

^this

I dont necessarily disagree with the OP, but I do think there can be some danger foods for me... If I was somewhere and I could only have a handful then they are no longer available it wouldnt even be a thought after I had the handful... but leave the whole bag, or have a whole bag in my house in which Im the only occupant = not a good idea. I stay away from Starbucks too... I think those are my two Kryptonite items.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Well said!!! ALL IN MODERATION!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I'm going to venture a guess that if you're letting Doritos have so much power over you that you can't eat them in moderation, you need to work on your willpower.

You are choosing the lazy way, and you are not making lifelong-sustainable choices.

lulz. My choices are quite fine, as evidenced by my successful weight loss. My lifelong-sustainable choices (ongoing, obviously) include understanding my own abilities and limitations, and planning to capitalize on the former while minimizing the latter.

I suppose you have perfect willpower in every aspect of your life. If so then you are one of a minority (of possibly one).

I do eat Doritos. I budget for more than a single serving however, and it happens once in a blue moon.

Anyway, Doritos aren't my real Achilles heel.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I can not make the world fit me. I must fit in the world.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    True story.

Meth makes you skinny.

Ha!
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    A-freaking-MEN! I LOVE this post...no flaming from me.

I was once told I was lucky that I didn't crave junk food since I rarely seem to eat it. I don't crave it? Are you kidding me? I crave cr*p food all of the time...I just remind myself that I'm stronger than I think I am and that my willpower is an amazing thing. I also remind myself that just because I eat one unhealthy thing doesn't undo all of my work. I didn't lose 35+ pounds by not ever having unhealthy food in the house. I'm a chronic baker during the holidays. My house has all the workings for an awesome binge. On any given day I have cakes, cookies, chocolate chips, cases of soda, Kraft Mac & Cheese, lots of alcohol, a fully-stocked 80 bottle wine cooler, steak, tater tots, about 18 types of full-fat full-calories salad dressings/dips, and ice cream (real, legit ice cream...not that fro-yo stuff...like Hagen Dasz all the way). I also have a fridge that is stocked with fresh fruits and veggies. I remind myself when eating that food is fuel. Nothing more, nothing less. The better the fuel for my body, the better my body will perform. I also remind myself that my success today and every day lies within decisions i make today...and I have to live with the consequences of my food choices. I've found that since eating healthier I actually don't really like the bad stuff any more...it's okay for a bite or two but that's really all I need to fix a craving. Does that mean I always make the right decision? Absolutely not, but if I do decide to choose something that I've been craving, I log it accurately and move on with my day. No drama, no obsessing, I just log it and move on.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!! *standing up cheering*

I agree. I think the people that freak out because food is around them are the ones that are on a "diet" and haven't realized that changing your eating lifestyle to incorporate everything in moderation is what will actually make long term success happen.

Side note: Ice cream is my downfall. If I have a big container of it in the feezer I will eat it every night, so now if I want something like that I must by the small(much more expensive) single serve sizes. I'm not going to freak out and stress about eating it, I just make adjustments so I can have it around me and not go hog wild. We all have trigger foods, but there is no reason to stress out because you ate said food.
  • danieyell1969
    Options
    Very well said!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I once tried to eat some doritos

Ended up eating an entire party bag (the $4 bag) in like an hour.

Doritos: Not even once

You mean Doritos: Only once?

OP nice post

For no particular reason

IMG_0570_zpse644bd67.jpg

I want.
This discussion has been closed.