Options

Replies

• jotero0406
    Options
    They do exist. And they are delicious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_b2zDPtB8yGdEUXQISBuatHcb50s2VHo98l_XBIQ_LQsxXK3yug

LOL! Accurate.

also I almost died with the following:
    I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body.

I understand what you're saying but I feel that this place is more that just a tool to log you daily calorie intake. It's somewhere you can vent your frustrations at certain situations with your diet/exercise routine. If you search my log/FB/Tumblr/Instagram you will find many a post stating that Cool Ranch Doritos are the Devil (they are by the way :tongue: ) but by expressing it and logging it I've leaned self control. I can proudly say that I can walk by them at the supermarket and not want to open them and stuff my face right there :happy: .
    Once in a while I'll indulgent, I when I do you shall once again see the statement made that they are the Devil. :devil:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one ... I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God.

I actually enjoy exercise. The best part of losing this weight is that I am able to without feeling like I'm going to die.

So I don't mind doing a double or maybe 1.5x workout because I went way off plan. When I'm on plan I end my day with milk & a cookie (Kashi cookies, they are more calorie dense than other cookies) or some ice cream. In fact yesterday I had a cookie with some icecream on it (but no milk), the hardest part was waiting for the ice cream to melt enough to soften the cookie.

That being said, Salted Caramel is meth and if I know it's coming I run. Not away, but until I have calories enough for it, assuming the salted caramel thing is a schload of calories.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    HEAR HEAR!!!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Lol if you still eat Doritos apparently you've never read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/q5ikr/reddit_what_is_the_weirdestmost_****ed_up_thing/c3uynfu

WARNING: Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach.

FLAME RETARD!

das offensive
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.

I'm sorry, but are you a psychiatrist? A medical doctor? If not, perhaps you should not try speaking with authority on topics you do not understand.

There is a HUGE difference between "understanding moderation" and being able to practice it as an addict. I'm am highly educated, and have spent many years learning to understand addictions, myself, and my behaviors. I know the meaning of moderation. However, as an alcoholic, I cannot have "just one drink" because that drink changes my brain chemistry in a way that it does not change yours. In the same way, I cannot have "just one cookie or cupcake." This is WHY we have such groups as Overeaters Anonymous. Because will power is not enough for some people. Please refrain from speaking as if you are an expert on a subject you nothing about other than your own experience. Your experience is not the same as everyone else's, and it is stupid to think otherwise.

It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Eat Doritos in moderation? Unpossible!

Seriously. It's not even remotely likely.

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.

I'm going to venture a guess that if you're letting Doritos have so much power over you that you can't eat them in moderation, you need to work on your willpower.

You are choosing the lazy way, and you are not making lifelong-sustainable choices.

lulz. My choices are quite fine, as evidenced by my successful weight loss. My lifelong-sustainable choices (ongoing, obviously) include understanding my own abilities and limitations, and planning to capitalize on the former while minimizing the latter.

I suppose you have perfect willpower in every aspect of your life. If so then you are one of a minority (of possibly one).

I do eat Doritos. I budget for more than a single serving however, and it happens once in a blue moon.

Anyway, Doritos aren't my real Achilles heel.

Of course I don't have perfect willpower - I'm human just like everybody else. But I don't blame the Imperial Stout when I drink too much of it... that was my own choice and my own lack of willpower. But, I'm not going to stop drinking Imperial Stouts because of that lack of willpower, either. That's fixing a symptom, not the cause. The cause is the willpower, not the Stout, and the person in control of that is me.

I guess it's just that I take full responsibility for my actions.

Your condescension is both misguided and misplaced.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    me i love sweets and crisps ot chips as you may call them i could eat loads and live off them all day long but i choose not to now. i have been eating in moderation, and for the comment about moaning about someone bringing a cupcake to work or someone else cooking well if your trying to control your calories you can count what is in your food if you dont cook it. cakes you bake yourself you add up your ingradients and when its cooked you split it between a portion size of cake where so yea while i agree with your comment some ppl are that fanatic about losing wieght they burn off as possible, if your like me and you have this massive plate of food put infront of you at your inlaws and you feel awful leaving half of it well i just eat it so then i really do need to burn of aleast 700 cals x just 1 more thing to add is i dont care what i eat its how much of it, ive eaten cakes, sweets, crisps/chips, chocolate anything you could imagine as fatty food ive either eaten it or im going to eat it as long as i dont go over my cals. depriving yourself from these things causes you to want it and pig out!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love it, also food addiction is not a cause, it is a symptom. Learning why certain food are triggers can bring more piece than being scared of the same food.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    EXTREMELY LOUD CLAPPING!!!!!!!

^^^^ this!
  • panda007dammit
    panda007dammit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As someone who has always been a binge eater, regardless of whether I'm in the process of losing weight or not, I do feel a certain fear when someone brings in a bunch of sweets to work or a social event. I can't have one, because it will never be just one. Sure, an occasional slip-up is not a big deal. I still have binges every now and again, and I'm still losing weight. The reason I'm managing this effectively though is because I'm not buying the junk myself. This means I almost never binge in my own house. Great, that's wonderful, that's a ton of calories that I used to consume that I am now avoiding. However, for me, being at a party where there is a ton of food is similar to placing someone who's trying to quit smoking in a room full of people actively smoking. I do my best to position myself as far from the food as possible, and if I become genuinely hungry, I will aim for the food I am least likely to binge on, but it's stressful for me. If I binge, I log it, examine what made me binge in the first place, and try to learn from the experience, then I move on. That's what I do NOW. Two years ago, I couldn't.

I won't blame someone for feeling helpless in the face of food. It's commonly a disordered eating pattern that results in extreme weight gain in the first place. For many people, when you tell them "it's just one cupcake", you're not talking to someone who's just looking at food options; you're talking to an addict looking at a needle. People who are just starting their weight loss journey may very well need to put up some serious limits for a while until they come to terms with everything and start to put it in perspective. Someday they will hopefully come around to a healthy outlook, but I won't blame them for feeling weak in the beginning.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree more, genious post!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Evidently, binge eating on a single food was never your issue.

Yes, it actually was my issue. That's the whole point of this to me, to work through my issues and learn from them rather than hide from them the rest of my life. Learning that food is not comfort is my biggest mind block to fight though.

I liked your original post and generally agree with you, but it takes a lot of work to get through some mental food issues. You seem to be in the right place to handle it and I am happy to say that after 15 years of struggling with my weight I feel like I'm finally in a good place mentally, but not everyone is there yet. Not everyone is ready to be there yet and everyone has to do what works best for them.

I personally make sure to fit all of my favorite things in as often as I can. I will freely admit that the whole point of exercising is so that I can eat more (yeah, I want to be healthy, too, but some days a long term "health" goal just can't motivate me like my favorite foods can). My mother, who has successfully maintained a large weight loss for over 10 years still has "trigger" foods that she keeps out of her house and accepts that she will just binge on those foods if she brings them in to the house. So, every once in a while, that's what she does. I don't think it's the healthiest, but it's what works for her and has allowed her to maintain her loss and if she's not able to do the mental work required to get past this, then maintaining an 80 lb loss by saying cookie dough is evil and not allowing it in her house except on rare occasions is way healthier than gaining back all of the weight.

Sometimes, when we get to a great place in our lives and something that has been so hard for us in the past finally clicks we want to share it with everyone else so that they can be enlightened, too. Unfortunately, not everyone is ready to hear what you've learned and we do have to keep this in mind. If I see a person on the board struggling with emotional eating or something that I have dealt with personally, I will share what has helped me, but other than that, I don't try to preach to other people's struggles.
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Brilliant Post!! :)

tumblr_lxels9BoVU1qff8too1_r1_400.gif
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    True story.

Meth makes you skinny.

this. just this.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I :heart: you.

Also, is it creepy that I would like to see pictures of you rubbing Sensa crytsals all over your body? Yes? OK, then... *goes to the corner*
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.

Exactly. Again OP, I appreciate you gaining strength and confidence from YOUR method...but there is not simply one way to do this. Those of us who need to do it differently (ie. cut out certain foods) for whatever should not be made to feel bad by someone who clearly does not understand.
  • TisheaDH
    TisheaDH Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love this. I keep my mind away from blaming the food and take responsibility for everything I choose to eat.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Lol if you still eat Doritos apparently you've never read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/q5ikr/reddit_what_is_the_weirdestmost_****ed_up_thing/c3uynfu

WARNING: Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach.

Have you seen what's in Gatorade and Mountain Dew? FLAME RETARDANT!

...I don't think you read the link. Just go ahead and read it. It's not the ingredients that's the problem, it's reading this story and thinking about it every time you see Doritos that's the problem.
  • kitkatkate77
    Options
    True story.

Meth makes you skinny.

Heh!
This discussion has been closed.