Ex Got Daughter a Python. Freaking Out!! Advice Please!!

Options

Replies

• Phoenixchichima
    Options
    well. good work on not immediately reacting. I think that is admirable. Now. take a deep breath & discuss with your daughter the need to clean her hands well before & after she handles the snake for his & her health and then thank your ex for agreeing to keep the snake at his place until your daughter gets her own place. this small snake wont hurt your daughter. have another discussion w/her about how helpless it is & to be gentle with it. then stop. your fears are yours & she will be ok. its reasonable to not want it in your home but if its not. you have nothing else to add
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    1. Ball pythons don't get that big. They're one of the "smaller" snakes in the pet trade.

2. they're much hardier than bearded dragons and withstand captivity well, so your daughter won't likely suffer the same disappointment/heartache of losing a pet so soon after getting it.

3. Ball pythons are docile, non-venomous, and don't require a lot of attention or space compared to a lot of "exotic" pets

4. It's not fair to take your own insecurities/phobias out on your daughter. Plus, at 15, she's not a child; she can handle a baby snake.

Ditto.
    My dad raised snakes when I was growing up. The Burmese python was my favorite. I think they make great pets as long as the owner knows what they are doing.. And like the above post says, ball pythons are smaller then other pythons and docile.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ball pythons are fine. Only two possible problems, both easily avoided.
    1. Salmonella. Keep the cage cleaned and wash the water dish often. Don't kiss the snake. Don't lick the snake. Wash hands after handling.

But...but.... I lick all my pets. It's how I display my loving dominance.

^ hahahaha thats awesome. too funny thanks for the laugh
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think you are overreacting :( sorry. :( I also think that your ex is...inadvertently turning you into the bad guy...He knew when he bought it that you wouldn't approve..he didn't care. :( As long as the snake stays at his home, you should try not to worry about it...but I would absolutely put my foot down about it coming to your house. :) So, TRY not to think about it...let it go...it is nonvenomous and legal so... there is really nothing you can do but ***** about it and that will get you nowhere (and you will be disliked...) sorry :( You said that your child is 15...15 is plenty old enough to be responsible for a pet...even that kind of pet...sounds to me like your 15 year old wants to experience life...let em...just sayin... :( My advice...since you DID ask... is to let it go ... it is out of your hands anyway... you can't control what goes on in your Ex's home ... let it go, and stop being the bad guy...the uptight one... I understand that you are worried..but you need to understand that your child is almost grown...again, my advice is for you to let it go. :(
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a ball python for a year, was the best pet i ever had! Didnt tear anything up, never marked its territory, never bit me, never **** on my bathroom rug after my shower so i could step on it, i LOVE snakes they are dangerous if improperly handled but seriously in all reality NO animal is predictable. My advice get over it :)
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have tested and true way to get over your fear of snakes. This method helped a girl friend get over her fear of snakes in just one night! And today, for a one time offer only I am giving you this method for free! That';s right not 9.99, not even 5.99 but zero dollars!!

To proceed with this method you will need to follow these exact steps:

1) Take a chill pill (like....ecstasy lets say)
    2) Find a snake
    3) Wait until appropriate time of pupil dilation while staring at snake
    4) Stroke the snake. Snake feels soo cooooooool.
    5) Wear the snack as a neck warmer. Do not discontinue petting.
    6) Bond with snake. Stare into snake's eyes
    7) Have some water (cause you will be thirsty)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

Personally I would say take it back, and buy a cat or dog like a BORING sheep.

Fix that for you
    A family we stayed with in New Zealand had a pet sheep. Reasonably well house trained!

Whether that makes it boring or not is another matter!
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    1. Ball pythons don't get that big. They're one of the "smaller" snakes in the pet trade.

2. they're much hardier than bearded dragons and withstand captivity well, so your daughter won't likely suffer the same disappointment/heartache of losing a pet so soon after getting it.

3. Ball pythons are docile, non-venomous, and don't require a lot of attention or space compared to a lot of "exotic" pets

4. It's not fair to take your own insecurities/phobias out on your daughter. Plus, at 15, she's not a child; she can handle a baby snake.

Very well said.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options

Personally I would say take it back, and buy a cat or dog like a BORING sheep.

Fix that for you
    A family we stayed with in New Zealand had a pet sheep. Reasonably well house trained!

Whether that makes it boring or not is another matter!

I knew this was going to get lost in translation. I meant "sheeple" like people who act like sheep. You know. So instead of "NORMAL person" it's "BORING sheep"

I like sheep. They're pretty cool. Except when they die and get really bloated. Not cool.
  • stratmantl69
    Options
    @EstiloPanama - I really hope that you get what's rightfully yours with that ex-hubby of yours. If what you say is even half-true, then I truly would be very happy to hear that he gets his just desserts................

That being said..........................

The snake was obtained legally (by mom's own admission), its residing in the father's residence, and its being kept in a secure enclosure (again, info from the mom herself). Nothing criminal about any of this. I fail to see the parallel here. So unless the snake is cooking up a meth lab in his tank and running a snuff film business out of the back room; I see no "horrible decision" here. A nontraditional choice of pet, nothing more..................

@McChubbyruewh - You started off your original reply with an insightful "that's upsetting that they're being so insensitive to you!". I'm sorry, that's an extreme amount of assumed intent on your part. You make it sound like both dad and daughter sat down and cooked this pet-buying scheme up with the sole intent of upsetting the mom. You know this how, exactly? You only know HALF the story here. Dispensing anything that resembles legal advice or overtones is at best misguided; at worst its irresponsible. Opine all you want, that is your right. But as you said yourself, its 50/50 joint custody. That applies to the safety of the minor child, what's in their best interest overall, not some phobia that one of the parents has for an animal that doesn't even reside in their own home. She can be in control and empowered with an attorney all she wants; still doesn't mean that such a petition wouldn't be ridiculous, frivolous litigation. Sorry......................
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Send your daughter this link:

Cooking Python Meat ---- www.yummly.com/recipes/snake-meat
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

^^This...and I'm not even a fan of snakes. You may need to see someone about this fear of yours.

And you have joint custody - he's doing NOTHING wrong by having it
    I was really enjoying all the rational replies. And then
    Thats upsetting that their being so insensitive to you!

because you have joint legal you do have a say about a good deal of things that go on over there when they effect your daughter. if you want to force the issue then I sugjest you contact either a lawyer for a consultation or if you can't offord that a paralegal. if your in southern ca I know a good one who does free consultations.

Did you ever think that the husband getting a snake for his daughter MAYBE had nothing to do with the ex wife?

Yes. Hire a lawyer to sue your husband for getting a snake. The children will be thrilled and the courts have nothing better to do.

Do not hire a lawyer and waste the courts time for them to tell you that he's not endangering your daughter and you can't tell him how to run his house if she's not in danger. Plus, she's 15....she's at an age where she can CHOOSE if she even wants to see either parent and acting crazily overprotective like this could push her to not want to live with you period
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just a thought and this might have already been brought up, but maybe this is a chance to conquer your fear. Everything happens for a reason.

This might be the time for you to get out of the comfort zone and do something that really scares you.

I'll be proud for one if you pet the snake.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Do not hire a lawyer and waste the courts time for them to tell you that he's not endangering your daughter and you can't tell him how to run his house if she's not in danger. Plus, she's 15....she's at an age where she can CHOOSE if she even wants to see either parent and acting crazily overprotective like this could push her to not want to live with you period

Exactly this. My parents separated when I was 14 and if either of them pulled this kind of crap I would cut them out of my life.

In fact my dad made some stupid decisions and I stopped speaking to him for over 10 years.

The divorce is hard enough on your daughter already, don't make it any harder by being overly possessive/protective and a control freak.

Or do... and see how much more time she wants to spend at dad's.
  • stratmantl69
    Options
    I have tested and true way to get over your fear of snakes. This method helped a girl friend get over her fear of snakes in just one night! And today, for a one time offer only I am giving you this method for free! That';s right not 9.99, not even 5.99 but zero dollars!!

2) Find a snake

What do I do when the snake starts singing "Shine On You, Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd?????? :smokin:
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    Your ex is a childish brat; it's good he's your ex.

That being said, the snake stays at his house and it's his responsibility. If anything bad were to happen it's all on him. Remember; he's trying to BUY their affections and alienate you from them by doing this.

It's an immature thing to do. Sounds like he wants to be their buddy.

Ugh! You're so much better off that he's not in the middle of your life anymore! Rejoice!

I love women who think everything a man does has something to do with them.

Some people need to get over themselves.

He got his kids a pet that will stay at his house. Someone's immature here and it ain't him.

I agree with Bret....I don't see what the father did wrong
  • MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I completely agree!!

And...If you don't like it don't let her bring the snake into your home.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options

2) Find a snake

What do I do when the snake starts singing "Shine On You, Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd?????? :smokin:

Clearly in this case your only option is to sing along.

Unless there is a hand drum near by.

Or if you are not musically inclined then you can dance to his singing. Remember to sway your arms a lot. This works best if the snake is entwined around your wrist.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Eh..
    Re-post when he gets her a Komodo dragon.
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    OP things could be worse....my ex doesn't pay support, REFUSES to actually and unless they catch him randomly, there's little that can be done about the warrant he has for being in the rears.
    On top of that, I have to drop my daughter off and pick her up, and don't always get the gas money I'm supposed to be given then she usually reaks of cigarettes when I pick her up.

Now even though I hate her going over there b/c well, I can't stand him, I'm obligated to allow him one night a week
    I contacted the courts and unless I can provide proof of him being "unfit" there's not *kitten* they'll do, unless I wanna involve CPS

That being said, there are worse things than a docile pet snake